walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Welsh 3000's For H4H

Welsh 3000's For H4H

Postby Ibex » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:07 pm

Anybody here ever done the Welsh 3000's?

I was thinking of doing this for Help For Heroes later in the year.
I think I need to do plenty of training for this. I am getting fit for joining the TA anyway, so this would be excellent training for the combat fitness test.

Any advice welcome.
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Welsh 3000's For H4H

Postby clivegrif » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:20 pm

Hello Ibex

Yes did this a few years ago, and have posted a guide. As others have posted, there are variations.

Hope this is of use to you.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17097

Good luck!
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

Postby Ibex » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:43 pm

Thanks a lot. I will have a good read of it!

I've had a look over the route on my maps and it looks 'challenging' to say the least.
I'm doing a lot of 'tabbing' about the town with my rucksack on and 15kg, plus water and food in it. For any type of gradient (as im in flt Oxfordshire) I am having to rely on a sloped bridge to run up and over, several times.

Would the sensible thing be to start at the top of Snowdon for about first light?
Ie - climb it in the dark from Pen-Y-Pass car park and sit there for around 3.30 - 4.30am.

This challenge is giving me something to focus on, during the unrelenting failures of job searching. :crazy:
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Postby clivegrif » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:24 pm

No problem.

First off, are you doing it on your own or with others?

Its better as a group, purely because of the logistics involved - the start is a long way from the finish. Ideally you would want transport to get you to the start and then to pick you up from the end point.

I did this around the longest day - and if you do the same you will find there is plenty of company, particularly if the weather is decent. We climbed Snowdon using the Miners track in the dark, but it was starting to get light by the time we reached the summit. Watching the sun rise from the Crib Goch is quite something. You shouldn't have much sitting around to do.

If there is a big group of you it is a good idea to have a support team who can re-supply you at the two valley crossings, such as at the start of the climb up to the Elidir Fawr, and in one of the A5 laybys after Tryfan.

It is important to get someone to pick you up at the end - the Cwm Eigiau road is a very long way from anywhere & certainly too far to walk out at then end of a day this big. You really would not want to lug a tent across this lot either.

Hope this is of use.
clivegrif
Rambler

Postby clivegrif » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:55 pm

Sorry - forget to mention it above - all the very best with the job hunting.
clivegrif
Rambler

Postby Ibex » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:41 pm

Depends if I can get anyone to do it with me. There is a strong possability that I will be doing it alone though.

May need to build up some serious fitness before I attempt it though. Getting late in the year, so an attempt might not be so great this time of year.
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion