walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

mobile phone coverage and emergency

mobile phone coverage and emergency

Postby eddie devlin » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:04 am

Hi, I read an article about emergency numbers that let a mobile phone contact
help in areas of poor reception etc. I cannot find this article but remember it advised
using this facility. I know about ICE but this is a way of contacting rescue services.
As I walk alone and am of mature years I think it would be good idea for me. can anyone
advise?
eddie devlin
Hill Bagger

Re: mobile phone coverage and emergency

Postby Alastair S » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:46 am

Do you mean the 999 text service? Details of this are over here http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8368&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby Slogger » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:17 pm

Without going in to it all again, see the link with reference to the 'SPOT' device.
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8625
Dave.
Slogger
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:125
Wainwrights:141   

Postby sloosh » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:38 pm

Slogger wrote:Without going in to it all again, see the link with reference to the 'SPOT' device.
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8625
Dave.

There's a whole thread about the SPOT personal locator, Dave. I was hoping you would chip in but I guess you didn't see it.
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby Slogger » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:02 pm

Thanks for that Sloosh,
I have now replied on your link, however it doesn't seem to want to appear on Gen Disc listing again.
Dave.
Slogger
Munro compleatist

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:15 pm

You can still call 999 from a mobile even if you have no reception, i'm not sure if you allready know this, only problem is the emergency services cannot contact you back.
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Slogger » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:11 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:You can still call 999 from a mobile even if you have no reception, i'm not sure if you allready know this, only problem is the emergency services cannot contact you back.

I think if you check that, you will find that facility is available, if you do not have your normal network reception, as emergency calls are routed through other Mobile phone networks that are receptive.
However if you in the hills and out of reach of any mobile network, then you have no way of reaching the emergency services with a Mobile phone.
Dave.
Slogger
Munro compleatist

Postby Johnny and Kimbo » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:39 pm

Cheers for that Dave, i was unaware that was the case, i was under the impression it was a emergency signal for all networks
Johnny and Kimbo
Mountain Walker

Munros:51   Corbetts:33
Fionas:20   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:28   

Postby MacCookie » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:49 pm

Johnny & Kimbo wrote:Cheers for that Dave, i was unaware that was the case, i was under the impression it was a emergency signal for all networks

There has to be a mobile network available for your phone to call out on. When dialling 999, your phone will connect to any available network if your normal network isn't available.

SPOT is different and doesn't use the mobile phone networks - it uses a satellite phone based system.

Ewan
MacCookie
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   

Postby Billymaca » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:48 am

Hello Eddie devlin, I’ve only just SPOTTED your discussion and felt I had to put my pennys worth in. All that has been discussed so far is true, but what has not been mentioned so far is that when you make an emergency call on a mobile phone with poor or no reception, the emergency call centre has to triangulate the signal from your phone to locate your approximate location, this is fine you may think, the problem with that is that it only gives them an approximate area, which could be a vast area and that will take time and a lot of resources to carry out an effective search. The nature of an emergency call means someone needs help fast (probably medical if you are out on a hill)
In case of emergency (ICE) is a programme on your phone that enables first responders, such as paramedics, fire fighters, and police officers, to identify victims and contact their next of kin to obtain important medical information once they have reached them.
As slogger mentioned check out the SPOT or the new SPOT CONNECT ( which is about to be released), This gadget will send a distress message via satellite every 5 minutes to the GEOS Response Centre giving your exact position, If help is required at night or in a heavily forested/ wooded area the search and rescue helicopter can drop the Paramedic on your lap, thus saving valuable time and resources, the appropriate response can be despatched directly to you by the safest and shortest route.
This is a point of view from the other end of the spectrum as a Paramedic who has spent time on the hills searching in a triangulated area. I myself have a SPOT 2 for when I go on walkabout in the hills. The cost of the device and the subscription to some may seem hefty, but what price would you put on your life ?
Billymaca
Scrambler

Postby Billymaca » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:59 am

Hello again Eddie devlin, I don’t think I explained a couple of points very well the first time so I have amended them.

All that has been discussed so far is true, but what has not been mentioned so far is that when you make an emergency call on a mobile phone with poor or no reception, the emergency call centre has to triangulate the signal from your phone to locate your approximate location, this is fine you may think, the problem with that is that it only gives them an approximate area, which could be a vast area and that will take time and a lot of resources to carry out an effective search. The nature of an emergency call means someone needs help fast (probably medical if you are out on a hill).
Another problem that could exist is that if the person that made the call is on their own, they may not be aware that triangulation of their call has happened, they may then walk out of the triangulated area in an attempt to gain a phone signal, now the search is in the wrong area.

In case of emergency (ICE) [/color]is only information in your contacts list on your phone that enables first responders, such as paramedics, fire fighters, and police officers, once they have reached you, to obtain the information required to identify you, contact numbers of next of kin and your important medical information .

As slogger mentioned check out the SPOT or the new SPOT CONNECT ( which is about to be released), This gadget will send a distress message via satellite every 5 minutes to the GEOS Response Centre giving your exact position, If help is required, even at night or in a heavily forested/ wooded area the search and rescue helicopter crews can drop the Paramedic on your lap, (they are that good !), The appropriate response can be despatched directly to you by the safest and shortest route, thus saving valuable time and resources. If the person is on their own as was mentioned above and on the move then the emergency response is updated automatically of the new position every 5 minutes.
This is a point of view from the other end of the spectrum as a Paramedic who has spent time on the hills searching for someone in a triangulated area. I myself have a SPOT 2 for when I go on walkabout in the hills. The cost of the device and the subscription to some may seem hefty, but what price would you put on your life ?, it’s the same argument with life jackets.
Billymaca
Scrambler

Postby Slogger » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:01 pm

Thanks for that Billy, but what I don't understand is - if your mobile has no signal at all in the hills, then the emergency call centre will not have any reception from it. They are after all a line of sight (albeit airwaves) communication system.
Dave.
Slogger
Munro compleatist

Postby Paul Webster » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:05 pm

..... if you have no signal on your mobile phone then it won't make a call to emergency services, simple as that.

Since last year (before then it was an urban myth in the UK but has since become true :D ), if you have a signal only on a different network to your own, you should be able to call emergency services.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby ChrisW » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:11 pm

Slogger wrote:Thanks for that Billy, but what I don't understand is - if your mobile has no signal at all in the hills, then the emergency call centre will not have any reception from it. They are after all a line of sight (albeit airwaves) communication system.
Dave.

Hi Slogger, SPOT is a connection system that ( effectively) turns your mobile into a satellite phone - have a squint at this site http://www.findmespot.eu/en/index.php?cid=116 for the 'how it works' description :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Billymaca » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:36 pm

I see what you are getting at slogger,
I haven’t put it very well, lets try again, If you can’t make a phone call or send a text the phone may still send a signal in an emergency. ‘999 ROAMING as it is known, where the phone will search for any network automatically, and use it. If the new adopted phone signal is not strong enough to carry information it may be able to initiate a call, the emergency call centre may receive the call but no information from you verbal or text, that incoming signal is used to triangulate your position.
But technically you are right, if you have no signal of any kind from any of the service providers then no signal can be transmitted. It's a hard one to explain, I will try and find more info on how trtiangulation works!
More info on 999 ROAMING
http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2009/10/16/999-roaming-will-mean-easier-calls-for-rescue
Billymaca
Scrambler

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion