walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Ime from Arrochar

Beinn Ime from Arrochar

Postby xpfloyd » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:09 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ìme

Date walked: 17/01/2011

Time taken: 3.75 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Beinn Ime
2 Hrs 15 mins up
1 Hr 30 mins back down

Well I had a day of work today so decided to tackle Beinn Ime. Beinn Ime had eluded me the last time after a severe drenching on Ben Narnain so I was keen to get the Munro ball rolling for 2011 and get back up there.

I headed of early and was at the car park at Arrochar at 8:15 ready to start heading up. The timings worked out quite well as the sun was just coming up when I set off up the zig zag path from the car park.

This was my first Munro since Narnain last September and my first bit of exercise since before christmas so I was struggling more than I really should have been.

I headed up the path between the cobbler and Narnain past the Narnain boulders and headed towards Ime.

IMG_0507.JPG
Sun coming up

After crossing the Bealach a' Mhaim I started making my way up Ime towards the summit. The temperature had dropped by this point and I was in a whiteout. There was a heavy cross wind too but at least it was dry. I lost the path on the way up and had to resort to my map any time I got a break in the whiteness. Eventually just before the top I found the path I should have been on.

IMG_0513.JPG
Views towards the top

Eventually the summit cairn appeared. I found it a fair old slog up this one, prob due to my fitness level, so I was glad to see I had reached it.

Its hard to see from this photo but the whiteout created a scary effect at the summit. When I looked over the edge it was a shear cliff by the looks of things but you couldnt see if it was 2m deep or 200m deep.

IMG_0516.JPG
Drop over the edge

Customary flag shot at the top

IMG_0519.JPG
Flag shot

All in all it was a very enjoyable day. It was also the first time id went alone and I was initially a bit apprehensive about it but I would def do it again. Almost managed to stay dry all day but 5 mins from my car I got caught in a heavy rain shower but you cant win them all.

A few shots I took on the way back down -

IMG_0520.JPG
The Cobbler

IMG_0522.JPG
The Cobbler

IMG_0527.JPG
Ben Lomond in the distance
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   

Re: Beinn Ime from Arrochar

Postby magicdin » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:13 pm

Looked a good day out :D
Widnae say less than 4 hours to go up and down is "struggling"
magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby sloosh » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:14 pm

Amazing the difference between the pics at the top of the hill and the bottom.
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby xpfloyd » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:18 pm

magicdin wrote:Looked a good day out :D
Widnae say less than 4 hours to go up and down is "struggling"

hmm, im always thinking im going really slow. Maybe im not after all. I was def struggling though in terms of being out of breath for most of the route :)
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Postby sloosh » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:19 pm

I think it took me 4 hours just to get to the Cobbler. :lol:
sloosh

Postby skuk007 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:45 pm

Glad you got out on your own xp, always worrying the first time, especially in those conditions. You must have legged it into position once setting your camera up for that timed flag shot. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby jonny616 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:47 pm

Well done. Four hours is a very good time.
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby xpfloyd » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:54 pm

skuk007 wrote:You must have legged it into position once setting your camera up for that timed flag shot. :)

That would have been quite funny to watch I suspect. I set it to a 20 second timer shot on a gorilla pod but since the rocks were all iced over it was pretty hairy trying to get back up into position within the 20 seconds. Took a few attempts :D
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Postby threya » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:04 pm

That first Cobbler shot is unusual
threya

Postby TheseKnivesMan » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:21 pm

Awesome shots of The Cobbler. Well done on quick time too, great report
TheseKnivesMan
Stravaiging

Postby tomyboy73 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:42 pm

well done on going it alone. I quite often go it alone as i`m not hanging around cooling my heels just because i have no one to go out with. You do feel a bit mad at first, but after a few times and seeing other lonesome walkers, you do feel reassured in yourself. And i always tell the mrs where i`m going (especially after watching 127 hours!) :lol:
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:185   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby baggervance » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:37 pm

tomyboy73 wrote:well done on going it alone. I quite often go it alone as i`m not hanging around cooling my heels just because i have no one to go out with. You do feel a bit mad at first, but after a few times and seeing other lonesome walkers, you do feel reassured in yourself. And i always tell the mrs where i`m going (especially after watching 127 hours!) :lol:

I often do solo as well and to date I haven't left my right hand behind :lol: :lol:
baggervance
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:59
Fionas:5   Donalds:7

Postby xpfloyd » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:08 pm

Been totally struggling for the last two days with sore leg muscles. Thighs are a bit tender but the worst is the muscles at the top of my a*se going out towards my hips. Been hobbling about like a wee old man, muscles are sore to touch. Not had pain there before!
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Postby sloosh » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:16 pm

xpfloyd wrote:Been totally struggling for the last two days with sore leg muscles. Thighs are a bit tender but the worst is the muscles at the top of my a*se going out towards my hips. Been hobbling about like a wee old man, muscles are sore to touch. Not had pain there before!

Stop touching your bum then. :lol:
sloosh

Postby xpfloyd » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:25 pm

Cannae help it :)
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland