walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Cobbler & the eye of the needle!!!

The Cobbler & the eye of the needle!!!

Postby erin_niamh » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:29 pm

Route description: The Cobbler, Arrochar

Corbetts included on this walk: The Cobbler

Date walked: 01/07/2011

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 920m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It's 7.30am. It's Friday. The Sun is splitting the sky. I'm not working. This can only mean one thing, Another climb today! So I send the usual text to my friend Donnie and its met with a quick and expected reply. So I gather my 'stuff' look out my pink shorts :lol: and i'm ready to go!

1. All Packed & ready to go.jpg

Erin, my 8 year old daughter wanted to come along, so a quick stop off at Go Outdoors to buy her some boots and off I went!

2. Arrochar.JPG

Parked the car at Succoth car park and set off around 1.30pm.

3. we're going up their somewhere.jpg

4. The start of the walk.JPG

Erin completed my first hill with me (Conic Hill) and moaned most of the way so I wasn't sure how she would be here. She seemed excited at the start though so fingers crossed!

5. Erin at the start.jpg

We followed the zig zag path. First part of the walk is a steep ascent and we stopped several times to give Erin a rest.

6. Donnie, Teo & Erin on the zig zag path.JPG

Good views from early on...

7. Looking back down to LochLong.JPG

8. Loch Long & Arrochar.jpg

At last we get to the end of the steep zig zag path and through the trees, where 'the cobbler' comes into view

9. Erin, Donnie& Teo with 'The Cobbler' in the background.jpg

Erin has a rest as promised

10. erin having a wee rest.jpg

Teo in his wisdom decided it would be good fun to jump into every boggy puddle he could find, dog or pig?

11. Teo posing after his mud bath!.jpg

As we follow the path, some other hills are also in view.

12. Ben Ime....next time!.jpg

The views only get better!

13. Stunning views all around.jpg

We take a rest on a rock just before the path forks and discuss which way to climb. We decide to take the longer route and climb the stairs.....just as well, don't think id have made the shorter route never mind erin!

14. Donnie & Erin climbing the stairs.jpg

Erin has developed her own stair climbing technique :D

15. Erin & Teo climbing the stairs.jpg

Once at the top of the stairs, we follow the path.....

16. Neil with the rest & be thankful in the background.jpg

17. Erin with the rest & be thankful in the background.jpg

Stunning views towards the rest and be thankful

18. the rest and be thankful in the background.jpg

4 hours later and a little bit of encouragement for Erin and we are on the top!

19. Loch long towards Helensburgh.jpg

Time for a rest and some photos!

20. Erin & Teo on the summit of 'The Cobbler'.jpg

I discuss with Donnie how many people he thinks actually climb to the very top, he says I should have a wee look and agrees to take my photo at the 'hole' :o

21. Neil at the eye of the needle....JPG

I know I will regret it if I don't go for it, so i talk myself into 'having a look' on the other side :shock:

22. Neil standing on the very top summit of 'The Cobbler'.JPG

and I was glad I did! the conditions were perfect, sun shining and no wind. The views don't get much better!

23. I can see the pub from here!.jpg

What a buzz I got! Only regret was I should have 'planked' it :lol: !!!

an excellent walk on another perfect day! Stunning views from early on. Erin had a little moan most of the way but managed it without any bother although we did stop a lot to give her a wee rest. I will definitely return soon and complete the nearby munros, Ben Ime and Beinn Narnain and also to climb the south peak which looked impressive!

1 hour 30 mins to return to the car and we wasted no time getting on the road as we were ate alive by midges! My smile has been as wide as the clyde since :D because i stood on the 'very top' ! I would love to have a go at The In Pin before the summer is over. Watch this space.................

24. somebody's tired!.jpg

25. What happens when you go walking with no sun cream!.jpg
erin_niamh
Mountaineer

Munros:147   Corbetts:16
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Re: The Cobbler & the eye of the needle!!!

Postby Paul_Antonia » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:14 pm

Good report and pictures. Enjoyed reading this one. Particularly interested to see you went for the summit scramble. How was that? I'm keen to get Antonia doing some scrambling in prep for some of the more technical ascents that we are aiming at. She's just about 12 so a good bit older than Erin. Got my eye on Bens Vane and Vorlich next but thinking about taking in this hill when we do Ime and Narnain.
Paul_Antonia
Mountain Walker

Munros:5   
Fionas:1   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:2   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland