walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The changing moods of the wee Buchaille

The changing moods of the wee Buchaille

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:05 pm

Route description: Buachaille Etive Beag

Munros included on this walk: Stob Coire Raineach (Buachaille Etive Beag), Stob Dubh (Buachaille Etive Beag)

Date walked: 05/08/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 900m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After what had to be our finest ever two weeks in Scotland we were down to our last day. Fortunately the forecast wasn't to bad so we decided to go out with a bang and bag Munros 9 and 10. We set off in fine weather up the superb made path up to Mam Buidhe. Some people might not like this sort of thing on the hills but this is undeniably one of the best I've ever encountered.

With height being gained quickly the views opened up with the Anoach Eagach in particular looking very fine.
IMG_7605.JPG
Weather creeping along the Anoach Eagach

It had not escaped my attention that some ominous looking cloud had started to creep towards us but sticking my optimist head on I decided to ignore it.
IMG_7607.JPG
Swirling clouds on Mam Buidhe

IMG_7608.JPG
Why are we going up here dad?

I reached the top of Stob Coire Raineach first and briefly caught a view of Ranoch moor and the A82 before the clouds moved in. It was changing by the second as the next two shots demonstrate.
IMG_7609.JPG
Views going going....

IMG_7610.JPG
Gone! (here comes the rain)

A ninth Munro for our 9 year old was followed by a hurried donning of waterproofs and off down to the Mam Buidhe.
The prospects looked bleak as we descended but by the time we reached the cairn between the Munros, Stob Coire Rainach had cleared.
IMG_7613.JPG
Stob Coire Raineach

IMG_7611.JPG
Mam Buidhe

With optimism restored (but wondering how we managed to bag the summit at precisely the same time as that blinking cloud :evil: ) we set off for number 10.
IMG_7622.JPG
Starting up Stob Dubh

IMG_7620.JPG
Big brother has his hat on

IMG_7619.JPG
Way way down to the A82

It didn't take long for the ridge to level off at about 900m. This point, marked with a large cairn, is a fine view point in it's own right. The sight of Stob Dubh from here is a little intimidating as my good wife remarked, "what we're going up there!?" :shock: I assured her it would be fine :wink: and we set off.
IMG_7628.JPG
Looking along the ridge to Stob Dubh

IMG_7638.JPG
Rocky ridge

Around half way up the final accent you suddenly get a view of Glen Etive which is quite fantastic.
IMG_7640.JPG
Loch Etive

And so munro number ten was bagged. :D
IMG_7656.JPG
Cheesy summit photo

The one more thing that remained was the short walk to the end of the ridge for the full unencumbered view of Glen Etive
IMG_7659.JPG
Glen Etive

The walk back to the car was done at a relaxed pace due to the jaw dropping views so time for more photos.
IMG_7642.JPG
Stob Coire Sgreamhach & Bidean nam Bian

IMG_7665.JPG
We'll climb that one next year lad

IMG_7662.JPG
The two buachailles

IMG_7664.JPG
Looking down towards the Lairig Eilde

So the end of a truly memorable walk to cap a magnificent two weeks in the highlands. :D 8)
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: The changing moods of the wee Buchaille

Postby tomyboy73 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:30 pm

well done, some holiday ! the glen etive picture is especially great !
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:185   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby Stretch » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:53 am

Quality report, glad you and your family had an enjoyable day on these two. Good job to the little one!
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Del246 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:40 am

Great report. I have now added these to my to do list. Thanks.
Del246
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:15
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Jockstar » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:46 am

So many good photos and you managed to evade the dreaded Clagh. :) Your Westie looked like she could do the same again and well done to the young un! The view down Etive was superb. :)
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby pollyh33 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:53 am

So glad that you have had such an enjoyable and productive time in the hills :D

The photos of the hills and glens are really good but my fave is the cheesy family one- loved it :D :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:07 pm

Jockstar wrote:So many good photos and you managed to evade the dreaded Clagh. :) Your Westie looked like she could do the same again and well done to the young un! The view down Etive was superb. :)

The westie is in fact a boy (a very small one for a westie I'll grant you) and his names Hughie, named after Sir Hugh Munro :D
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland