walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Other Interests Besides Hillwalking and the Great Outdoors..

Re: Other Interests Besides Hillwalking and the Great Outdoo

Postby Fife Flyer » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:20 pm

NickyRannoch wrote:
Fife Flyer wrote:
NickyRannoch wrote: I'm a mad keen American Football fan (New England Patriots and Boston College Football Eagles.

I love the American Footie, unfortunately my team aren't, never have been, or probably never win anything - ANY GUESSES :lol:

I'm very tempted to say the dirty Jets although rumour has it they weren't always completely awful. I would guess you are a fan of New York's least despicable franchise the Bills?

Sorry not the Jets or the Bills, I tempted to say even worse, although not sure that is possible :lol: :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby NickyRannoch » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:32 pm

Hmmmm

Must be one of Browns or Bengals then??
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby Fife Flyer » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:24 pm

NickyRannoch wrote:Hmmmm

Must be one of Browns or Bengals then??

Spot on Bengals - followed them since the 80's :oops: :oops: They can only get better, I live in hope :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Postby DarrenJeffrey » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:26 pm

Hearts!!!!

I have a Honda CBR 600rr sports bike that I love to be out on.

I read a fair amount, 3 or so books at a time of various genres.

Fitness wise I do road cycling and running.
DarrenJeffrey
Munro compleatist

Munros:141   Corbetts:10
Fionas:8   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:20   

Postby Red Peak » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:41 pm

Fife Flyer wrote:Spot on Bengals - followed them since the 80's :oops: :oops: They can only get better, I live in hope :wink:

Back when I was into American football I too was a huge Bengals fan, back in the days of Boomer Esiason and San Wych. First thing Monday morning would be to check the previous night's results on Teletext - and if the Bengals had lost I'd go to work in a bad mood!

And just as I started to lose interest a bit, they reached the Superbowl. D'oh!
Red Peak
Munro compleatist

Munros:260   Corbetts:27
Fionas:23   Donalds:39
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:313
Wainwrights:214   

Postby colingray8 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:18 pm

I used to do SCUBA diving. Spent many an hour diving in Loch Long from various dive sites, one just along from the carpark for The Cobbler so I can say I've been 40 meters below Loch long and 1011 meters above it (Beinn Ime). Stopped diving when I had a frozen shoulder and couldn't get my dry-suit on but I found I could still put my boots on so enjoyed walking. When my shoulder go better I never went back to diving.
colingray8
Munro compleatist

Munros:125   Corbetts:17
Fionas:8   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby nudehiker » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:59 pm

We love our motorhome and use it to visit different walks. We also use it to visit National Trust properties where we can have our lunch in comfort (and save some pennies). We are also naturists and use it for our rallies (Suntreckers the naturist caravan/camping club) We also love touring to new walks. Also enjoy gardening in our secluded garden.
nudehiker
Ambler

Postby Fife Flyer » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:39 pm

Red Peak wrote:
Fife Flyer wrote:Spot on Bengals - followed them since the 80's :oops: :oops: They can only get better, I live in hope :wink:

Back when I was into American football I too was a huge Bengals fan, back in the days of Boomer Esiason and San Wych. First thing Monday morning would be to check the previous night's results on Teletext - and if the Bengals had lost I'd go to work in a bad mood!

And just as I started to lose interest a bit, they reached the Superbowl. D'oh!

They were the days & I'm still waiting, just as well I have plenty of patience :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Postby Hill-loving lady » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:55 pm

My interests are as follows:

Obviously the hills...there is absolutely nothing that beats the feeling of being in the mountains for me. The wind, the snow in winter, the rock in summer, the occasional view (!) the leg weary completeness at the end. The feeling of being so small and insignificant in the great geological wonder that is Scotland. All made more perfect now I have Bob the Dog, my 18 month old Border Collie walking companion.

But when unable to be out walking, I love to garden. 6 houses owned over the years, 6 gardens from scratch, all different, all absorbing and all rewarding.

Next would be music...totally ecclectic taste, from Led Zep to Bach and everything in between. All depends on my mood, Kate Bush's Wuthering Heights was my first single in the late 70s and I still love it! Currently really into Jan Garbarek's jazz sax. Haunting and reminiscent of the wild open spaces I so enjoy. I love to play piano, been at it now for 42 years and still lots to add to my repertoire. Radio 2 in the morning and afternoon, 3 in the evening, and CDs in between.

Coffee - total snob!!! Has to be real, full-flavoured and STRONG! and fair trade!!!

Wine - a crisp fruity chardonnay in the garden of an evening makes my working day disappear!

Cats - 2 Norwegian Forest cats who are the most intelligent of creatures, perfect sleeping partners (!) in the winter, and a laugh a day, each!

Decorating/DIY - love the planning, the execution, the reward of a job well done!

Film - NOOOO CGI, but a good story and good acting - favourite has to be Jane Campion's The Piano or maybe Rabbit Proof Fence. Papillon is up there too though...

Food - cooking, eating, enjoying, savouring, sharing, around the kitchen table, with friends and good chat.

Reading - always used to be fiction, but now it appears to have changed to Mountain Leadership and Craft, Cameron McNeish's Munros, etc etc etc

Walkhighlands...obviously!!! but a great resource for planning walks, sharing walks, having a giggle and just enjoying the bon homie of the site and its members.

So, that's me, GSOH etc etc, although a bit shy! Would love to meet similar for long walks, friendship, maybe more. :wink:
Hill-loving lady
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:17
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Ibex » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:50 pm

Had to laugh there Hill loving lady, as I thought that read like a dating site profile.
Had a little chuckle when I got to the end.
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:44 am

I'm now disabled so can't walk the hills anymore, but my husband does. I took up landscape photography to prove you don't have to be mobile to take good images :lol:

I love football, cricket and rugby. Yeovil Town (home team) and Newcastle United (live in the NE). Support Newcastle Falcons and Durham in the cricket (used to watch Somerset in 70s and 80s).

Play the piano. Mainly listen to Blues (John Mayall is my hero) and Rock, eg. Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Rory Gallagher etc. But like lots of other music genre.

Read books about geography, photography, travel.

My family is important and especially now I'm a grandma :D

Hill-loving lady wrote:So, that's me, GSOH etc etc, although a bit shy! Would love to meet similar for long walks, friendship, maybe more.
fingers crossed :lol: :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby Scotjamie » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:31 pm

Interests and addictions are
Golf ....despite the grief
My family....despite the grief
My guitar.... when I can at last cause grief to others
Passive interest in East Fife ....can't stand the grief
Pub quizzes.....good grief
Alcohol.....any particular variety catches my interest.
No interest in TV, other than news channels, but addicted to radio, and all and any music from Spooky Tooth to Ozarks to Leadbelly to Café del Mar to Vivaldi....oh.....except (c)Rap
Any books from Scottish authors, or about Scotland.....
and....
am addicted to these little dots......................
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby Border Reiver » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:40 pm

Apart from the outdoors and mountains, our next main interest is cruising. We've just returned from the Norwegian fjords and had 10 glorious days of viewing towering mountains, massive waterfalls, snowfields, glaciers and endless daylight. Through cruising, we've done rib trips in Norway, fast boat rides through Greenland's fjords, driven onto glaciers and through rivers in Iceland and cruised among huge icebergs on Greenland's West coast.
We plan to do expedition cruising to Spitsbergen and Eastern Greenland, as well as cross the Antarctic Circle and walk on the White Continent.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby spiderwebb » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:11 pm

Other interests apart from walking, mmmm. Right here goes nothing, between this and the Confessions topic, a ban could be coming my way (Sorry Paul and Helen).

Disclaimer: Any mention of other persons herein is purely coincidental and unintentional. No animals were hurt in the construction of this script.

Well the walking has been with me for about 35 years, but during that time also

Caving. 20 years caving/potholing in the Mendips, South Wales, Yorkshire and Derbyshire, loved it until maturity crept in and realised it scared the bejesezus out of me ! A few near misses, and one very near miss, but here to tell the tale, just !

Football. Well from North London so Arsenal supporter but wouldn’t call myself a keen fan, went to a match with my dad once, Frank McClintock, George Armstrong, Radford, Graham, Bob Wilson, Charlie George, 0 – 0 draw against Newcastle at Highbury, Malcolm Macdonald playing for Newcastle, cold, wet, never been since (see Theatre below).
International, no, whenever there is a tournament on tv I always hope England get knocked out quick just to end it. Ruined a holiday once as my pal wanted to see every game ! I just had to get ****. So now I hate it with a passion.

Photography. Again probably 35 years worth, started with a Zenith EM, still got my Pentax ME Super, and now Olympus digitals. Mainly landscape but I have been known to lie down in the long grass trying to catch some elusive animal, insect or bird (feathered). Bird (feathered) oh ok, the other sort too whilst being in the Bastion Photography Club, a sort of work club although I only ever recall the photography being of some suitable scantily clad model (prob what got me into photography in the first place even if I didn’t have film in the camera). Purely for research and reference purposes you understand (I was in my teens, and prob still a bloody virgin hmph !).

Despite the lying in wait for suitable subjects nearly all my good wildlife pics have been pure chance and not planned.

Curry. Could dine out or in all week on the stuff. Chinese you can keep. As for food generally I like what I like, especially if it doesn’t involve too much use of a knife (Probation officer rules you see) and if its got mince in it. Haggis, Neeps and tatties YES ! Dumplings in Oxtail soup mmm angel breath !

Booze. Love a few beers, or drams now I’m an honorary Scot and love to get in the party mood.

Books. Factual as with most, you wont find any story books on my shelves, but a shed load of walking books, Caving books.

Films/Arts. Mmm maybe skip this one. Been to Theatre once in London, was falling asleep so came out to the bar at the interval and never returned. Never been since !

Radio 2, Steve Wright Yes !

Cinema. Mmm prob the same, quite happy to await the DVD to come out. Anything with Denzil Washington is great, but have a soppy side too, Love Actually and PS I Love You. Oh god now I’ve blown my street cred (wait till you see my musical tastes)

Arts, suppose it depends on your definition, but probably same as photography and my books, I like facts, like it real, so all that arty farty abstract stuff doesn’t float my boat. Don’t invite me round and Art gallery unless its of mountains, factual remember !

TV. Stick it ! Would have one for DVD’s but refuse to pay the license for that alone !

Music. Mmm where to start, I’ll go back to my youth and work forwards. 60’s, Country, Patsy Cline, Carpenters, Diana Ross, Supremes, Frank Sinatra, Perry Como, Andy Willimas, Blondie (just for the album covers !!), Bee Gees,, Abba, Huey Lewis, Michael Buble, Fleetwood Mac, ELO, REM, Mavericks, Elvis, Johnny Cash, Supertramp, Westlife, Dire Straits, Amy Macdonald, Monkees, classical but struggle to name them, Opera (apart from Chorus of the Hebrew Slaves) same as Classical. Basically if it carrys a tune I like it. Heavy Metal/Rock, Jazz and Rap are a no no.

Billy Connolly and Jethro.

DIY. Love it, the bigger the project the better, you name it I’ve probably done it, kitchen extension, loft conversion, electrics, plumbing. Love the transformation from the initial mess including gardening projects. I like tools !!

I love my two dugs, although no more hills for them, especially now Holly is blind. Still available as the Walk Highlands K9 Rescue Unit ! 3 out of 3 so far !

I do own a set of golf clubs and can enjoy a round with plenty of **** taking (not hard the way I play) and banter,, i.e. for the laugh and not to get better.

Apart from running round parks naked and wearing womens clothes that’s about it ! (Hope the Probation Officer isn’t reading this or I’ll never be free of this tag)

Thinking of getting something pierced now I’m all growd up, but cant decide what ! Not sure about the pain.

Oh and the odd fag !
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby charliebloke1 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:50 pm

It'd seem a passion for music, over a wide array of tastes (some questionable it would seem :wink: ) goes hand in with hill-walking. It appears at odds, from other threads, then that so many shun musical accompaniment when out walking. Out of personal interest I wonder why that is?

I'm no different though. I used to play lead guitar in a punk rock band in the 90's band called Cleopatra's Vagina. You may have heard of us . . ok you probably haven't . . we never quite made it to fame and fortune, infact we only played 3 gigs :oops: but we did once got a mention in NME & I'll cling on to it for just a little while longer if I may. (Don't ever meet me at a party as that's my usual opening gambit.) But I still love music . . huge rock fan from 80's lycra through to thrash & punk but I also have a soft spot for Roddy Woomble in his folksy guise (although I still miss the old Idlewild he's still my lyrical hero.)

Sadly now the Rheumatoid Arthritis in my hands makes it just too painful to strum away :wink: but my legs are, in general, none too shabby so i'm blessed I can still enjoy walking while I can. I'll openly admit to also using the RA as an excuse to let the wife do all the gardening. I love my "gardening" & i'm certainly always happy to take the credit for my wife's hard work.

Now I enjoy dancing with Badgers & collecting body parts to makes into interesting objets d'art. . . . Ok maybe not but i'm sure it's not hust me.Nowadays I just spend my time planning my next walking trip. I'm sure I had other hobbies before I rediscovered walking but now it just seems all consuming. Yes, I too enjoy my wine, I also enjoy my local beers and i'm often partial to a late night fag but these are usually just things I do while i'm looking for ideas for my next walking holiday.

My name is Charlie & i've become a Walkaholic!
charliebloke1
Mountaineer

Munros:11   
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:38
Wainwrights:115   

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion