walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

import gpx files into the Walkhighlands map

import gpx files into the Walkhighlands map

Postby beaver » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:22 pm

I often download the Walkhighlands routes into my Satmap, and find these to be a great resource. What I would like to do as well is to import the gpx files from routes I have completed into the Walkhighlands map in order to see exactly where I have been. Is this possible please, and, if so, how do I do it? Only I cannot see any way of uploading gpx files from my PC into the map. Many thanks. Eric.
beaver
Mountaineer

Re: import gpx files into the Walkhighlands map

Postby malky_c » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:29 pm

You used to be able to do it very easily but the functionality has been removed for a reason that I can't remember.

What you can do is open a walk report template and upload a GPX file to that. You can tick the box which says 'walk note only' which means that it won't post as a walk report in the public forum, and then save it there. You would be able to view the route from there.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby beaver » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:46 pm

Very many thanks for this advice, though I note that you can only 'draw' a route on the map, and not import a gpx file directly to it. Or have I missed something?
beaver
Mountaineer

Postby StevieC » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:44 am

beaver wrote:Very many thanks for this advice, though I note that you can only 'draw' a route on the map, and not import a gpx file directly to it. Or have I missed something?

You've missed something :D

Scroll down below the box where you type up your report and you'll see a "Choose file" button. Click on that and a window pops up. Navigate to your gpx file and select it then click Open. The pop-up window will close and the file will be displayed next to the "Choose file" button. Click on the "Add the file" button. You now need to click inside the box where you type up your report and click on the button "Place inline" - the GPX file will now appear in the box. To view the map click on Preview and it should appear. To save it in your walks blog for future viewing click on Submit - but don't forget to tick the box for Walk Note only or it will appear in the Walk Reports forum for everyone to see!
StevieC
Hill Bagger

Munros:75   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:10   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby beaver » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:07 am

Scroll down below the box where you type up your report and you'll see a "Choose file" button. Click on that and a window pops up. Navigate to your gpx file and select it then click Open. The pop-up window will close and the file will be displayed next to the "Choose file" button. Click on the "Add the file" button. You now need to click inside the box where you type up your report and click on the button "Place inline" - the GPX file will now appear in the box. To view the map click on Preview and it should appear. To save it in your walks blog for future viewing click on Submit - but don't forget to tick the box for Walk Note only or it will appear in the Walk Reports forum for everyone to see![/quote]

Many thanks once again. I guessed I had missed something!
beaver
Mountaineer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion