walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Camping location.

Camping location.

Postby lee14789 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:33 pm

Good evening guys,

Looking to do the ring of Steall at the end of August.I am looking to travel up late on Saturday evening and wild camp close to the start for an early rise on the Sunday.

Does anyone know if it is ok to camp in Glen Neivs car park or am I better walking up towards the waterfall and camping around that bit?

thanks
lee14789
Munro compleatist

Munros:4   

Re: Camping location.

Postby Sunset tripper » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:54 pm

Definately better up on the Steall meadows near the waterfall. It's a great setting less than half an hour from the car park and plenty of space but it's unlikely you will be alone. People do camp beside the car park but there is not a lot of space and I personally wouldn't fancy it.
All the best. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby ScotFinn65 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:37 pm

I'm not an expert but walked RoS last month and a couple of things occur to me.

If you camp near Steall Falls, (great location) do you then haul the tent around all those hills and ridges or leave it there and walk extra 5km after the Ring to go get it? Neither seem appealing.

There are some nice spots either side of the river between lower and upper car parks and no extra mileage or having to haul tent. Location may not be so nice as Falls but a little more practical (assuming you would not have intended to take tent with you).

Hope l didn't miss the point :shock:
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Munros:119   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:3
Walk wish-list

Postby Sgurr » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:56 pm

You are only really using it to kip at the beginning presumably. If you don't object to a small fee, there is a camp site in Glen Nevis, and you can get up the extra 10 mins earlier it would take you to drive to the car park. Or is that far too mundane?
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:03 pm

ScotFinn65 wrote:I'm not an expert but walked RoS last month and a couple of things occur to me.

If you camp near Steall Falls, (great location) do you then haul the tent around all those hills and ridges or leave it there and walk extra 5km after the Ring to go get it? Neither seem appealing.

There are some nice spots either side of the river between lower and upper car parks and no extra mileage or having to haul tent. Location may not be so nice as Falls but a little more practical (assuming you would not have intended to take tent with you).

Yes good point - I did think about that.
I was assuming that the intention was to park at the end of road car park which would only add around 1 km each way at the end of the day but maybe still an unwelcome extra 2 km to be fair. Also if camped at the Steall falls it could be done anticlockwise which would mean you could pick your tent and gear up at the end of the day for the last km.

If parked at the lower car park (Polldubh) I agree some decent spots next to the river close to carpark. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby ScotFinn65 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:12 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:
ScotFinn65 wrote:I'm not an expert but walked RoS last month and a couple of things occur to me.

Yes good point - I did think about that.
I was assuming that the intention was to park at the end of road car park which would only add around 1 km each way at the end of the day but maybe still an unwelcome extra 2 km to be fair. Also if camped at the Steall falls it could be done anticlockwise which would mean you could pick your tent and gear up at the end of the day for the last km.

If parked at the lower car park (Polldubh) I agree some decent spots next to the river close to carpark. :D

Good point again. :D

I didn't consider Steall Falls camp and heading Anti-clockwise. Makes some sense if you don't mind which direction.
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Munros:119   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:3
Walk wish-list

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:17 pm

Sgurr wrote:You are only really using it to kip at the beginning presumably. If you don't object to a small fee, there is a camp site in Glen Nevis, and you can get up the extra 10 mins earlier it would take you to drive to the car park. Or is that far too mundane?

A good option also. I quite like the campsite though it's getting a bit pricey around £25 for a 2 man tent (2 People + car) Also the top car park might be full in the morning whereas you are guaranteed a space if arriving at night. The lower car park (polldubh) has a fee though I've rarely seen it in operation I imagine that will change pretty soon :shock:. The campsite also has 2 tempting pubs nearby - more essential expenditure. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby jmarkb » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:34 pm

If you want to ascend Sgurr a’Mhaim from Steall, it’s worth doing some research as the initial route finding through the trees and outcrops is tricky: Dan Bailey’s Scotland’s Mountain Ridges has a good description. It’s a good book to own, but the relevant page can be found on Google Books.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Ben Nachie » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:01 pm

Many moons ago I found a fine spot in the trees right near the upper car park. It was a short distance towards the river. Beers cooling in a wee burn on the side of Ben Nevis at the end of the day, it made for a fine weekend.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion