walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Wild Camping North Cairngorms?

Wild Camping North Cairngorms?

Postby Jack252 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:56 am

Planning on going camping mid May for a few days and we were just wondering if anyone had any reccomendations for good wild camping spots in north Cairngorms, maybe around Tomintoul? Loch Builg? Ideally somewhere without too long a walk from the car :)

Thanks!
Jack252
Mountaineer

Re: Wild Camping North Cairngorms?

Postby Border Reiver » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:17 pm

Most folk on here have their favourite camping spots. They like them for any number of reasons and very few of us will give away their locations. Some like to camp on well established hard grassy spots along with other tents and associated detritus, others prefer to have a great view and peace and quiet. Me, I like a spot in a remote place, with clear running water nearby, that's unlikely to attract anyone else. I would suggest that you pack your rucksack and set off into the hills and pitch your tent wherever you feel is a good spot. All you need is clean water nearby and a spot flat enough and big enough to take your tent. It's the best way to wild camp. A good 1:25000 O.S. map should give clues as to the lie of the land.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby gaffr » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:22 am

I would agree with the previous poster about locations..... However I have camped, many years ago, at the South end of the Loch Builg. On another occasion at Dail Builg….the downside at that location was that there were several adders active in the area beside the wall.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby rgf101 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:27 am

I don't have any tips for that part of the world, but I've learned about good camping spots on here, and have posted a couple of my own. The locations aren't something I feel a need to keep to myself - the chances of someone spotting a post on here and turning up on the same day I do, seem pretty slim, and it's as likely to be some random hiker or a DofE group that's there. If it helps someone plan their trip, or means they keep going an extra few hundred meters for a great campsite rather than stopping at a not-so-good one, all to the good.
rgf101

Postby Sack the Juggler » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:50 am

Jack252 wrote:Planning on going camping mid May for a few days and we were just wondering if anyone had any reccomendations for good wild camping spots in north Cairngorms, maybe around Tomintoul? Loch Builg? Ideally somewhere without too long a walk from the car :)

Thanks!
Don't know the area, but there looks to be loads of opportunities out there.

Can I ask what you mean by not too long a walk? It means different things to different people, when I first read your post I assumed you meant within 30 minutes walk of the car, but having looked at the map, unless there is a private road I'm missing, a walk into Loch Builg will probably take 2 or 3 hours, depending on which direction you approach it from (and if you can get parking for your car).

Anyways, from the map north and south of Loch Builg look to be likely camping spots, with plenty of opportunities for a pitch, or maybe head up to the hills on the west side of the Loch, there seems to be flattish ground (around the 677 marked cairns) just to the northeast and south east of Carn Dearg that might give you a great view of the loch in the morning, but keep an eye on the weather , if its a bit breezy, stay down by the loch and get some protection.

There is plenty of water for you in the loch and the streams feeding it, but make sure that your toilet is at least 50m away from any water course (which might be difficult down by the loch), and of course do not light open fires and take out anything that you bring in, leave no trace that you were there.
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby Jack252 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:14 am

Thanks for all of the replies!

I understand people not wanting to publicise their favourite, secret spots on the internet, no problem :)

After chatting to the group I think they're more thinking max 30 minutes walk as you said. Wasn't after somewhere
super specific, more just after a general loch or area to investigate more that is semi accessible as we won't have a huge amount of time to roam and pitch up when we arrive Friday evening.

I did see a road just to the South of Loch Builg which would take us right there, but maybe this is private...can't tell from google maps :?

Thanks for the advice about adders too! Definitely prefer not to disturb these!
Jack252
Mountaineer

Postby Sack the Juggler » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:24 am

Jack252 wrote:Thanks for all of the replies!

I understand people not wanting to publicise their favourite, secret spots on the internet, no problem :)

After chatting to the group I think they're more thinking max 30 minutes walk as you said. Wasn't after somewhere
super specific, more just after a general loch or area to investigate more that is semi accessible as we won't have a huge amount of time to roam and pitch up when we arrive Friday evening.

I did see a road just to the South of Loch Builg which would take us right there, but maybe this is private...can't tell from google maps :?

Thanks for the advice about adders too! Definitely prefer not to disturb these!
Good point about that road, I thought it was a just a track, but it could be driveable in the right car. Try to contact the owner(s) of the land to see if its private and to get their permission to use it?

While its nice to camp at the side of a loch, the difficulty you will probably face in Spring is that any lochs that are easily accessible by car will probably be overflowing with wild campers, or may have restrictions on where you can camp. Maybe choose something a little further off the beaten path? near a river or halfway up a hill?
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby Ben Nachie » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:56 am

The road to Loch Builg from the south is a track, and you cannot drive up it. It's a decent track for cycling however.

A 30min walk doesn't get you very far into the hills, especially from the north. I'd be more inclined to set off from the Linn of Dee or Linn of Quoich
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby Jack252 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:09 am

Thanks again for the responses!

Good to know about the track, saved us a failed journey there! Decided against the Loch, rather not have the fuss of gaining access when there are tons of alternative, just as brilliant, options nearby. Think you're right about a river, will investigate Linn O' Dee!

Thanks!
Jack252
Mountaineer

Postby Essan » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:29 am

Plenty of good places up the Dee towards the white bridge, from Linn of Dee :)
Essan

Munros:98   Corbetts:52
Fionas:7   Donalds:2+0
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:24   Islands:5

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion