walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Loch Mullardoch Munros V South Glen Shiel Ridge

Loch Mullardoch Munros V South Glen Shiel Ridge

Postby evethmsn » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:22 pm

Looking for some insight fellow hillwalkers...

We did the South Glen Shiel Ridge last week - LONG, tough day on the hills to say the least. Especially the walk back - thought it was never going to end.

Signed up to do the four Loch Mullardoch Munros this weekend (going by boat).

Has anyone done both sets that can give a comparison?

Thank you!
evethmsn
Wanderer

Munros:21   Corbetts:2

Re: Loch Mullardoch Munros V South Glen Shiel Ridge

Postby jmarkb » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:04 pm

Mullardoch with the boat is a wee bit easier than South Shiel without the return along the road: similar height gain but less distance.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:241   Corbetts:86
Grahams:74   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:40   

Postby Driftwood » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:10 pm

I have walked the four Munros north of Loch Mullardoch (including walking out by the path above the loch), as well as the South Glen Shiel seven (without needing to walk back on foot) once each, in decent summer conditions.

The path back was probably the roughest part of the Mullardoch circuit - or, second to the section east of Sgurr na Lapaich, but much longer, and tougher due to the steep, eroded slopes dropping to the loch. Without that, I'd say they were easier, and quicker, than the South Glen Shiel group - though they do involve a longer descent, and ascent, in the middle of the four. I felt fine after the hill part, but if you were tired from that, I can imagine that path feeling terrible - and well worth taking the boat to avoid.

I haven't experienced the slog alongside the road through Glen Shiel - which looks very unappealing to cover on foot alongside the traffic. From memory their rougher parts are at the western end, which may be from descending them in a dash to beat some approaching rain - I might compare the routes differently if I had done them the other way around.
Driftwood
Mountain Walker

Munros:192   Corbetts:33
Grahams:14   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:19   

Postby malrobb » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:23 pm

Apologies to hijack this thread somewhat but I was looking to do the Mullardoch Munros but though it was a 3 day 2 night trip and the heavy pack that this approach would involve. Is another approach to do the 4 Munros, get the boat back and then again get the boat back to the West end of the Loch in the morning and then bag the remaining 8 Munros meaning only 1 night wild campin? Does anybody have contacts for the boat and presumably its an ad hoc service? Thanks for any additional advice and sorry for thread creep.
malrobb
Mountain Walker

Munros:75   

Postby prog99 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:00 pm

To me the mullardoch munros are An Socach to Carn na Gobhar. I'm guessing you are thinking of adding in what I've always done from Glen Affric as the other half.

Karl used to do pickups from the western end , not sure f the new guy does (he's a pretty decent guy so might but it'll be expensive).
http://www.loch-mullardoch-ferry.co.uk
prog99
Munro compleatist

Postby Nigels3011 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:13 pm

I just looked at my notes. The South Glen Sheil ridge took me 8.5 hours from the Claunie Inn to the road at the 1719 battle site. It started raining so I managed to hitch back to the Inn.
Loch Mulladoch north side Munros took me 8 hours from the hotel to the river crossing at the other end. But I didn't walk back. I headed straight up the other side and bivvied just below the summit of Mullach na Dheiragain ready to do the 8 Munros on the south side the next day. Starting at 6 in the morning it took me 15.75 hours to get back to the Mullardoch hotel. It was a long day and I wouldn't really advise it. The weather was good so I just kept going forgetting that I was so high and had a hard descent at the end of the day. Should have been the planned three days, not two. Oh, well, lesson learned.
Nigels3011
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Grahams:6   
Hewitts:45
Wainwrights:37   

Postby malrobb » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:00 pm

Thanks for the boat information Prog99
malrobb
Mountain Walker

Munros:75   

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to General discussion