walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Dalnashallag bothy

Dalnashallag bothy

Postby abs70 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:29 pm

Bit of a mundane question this one but has anyone stayed at this bothy recently... specifically used the fire place. I've read some reports saying the chimneys blocked, filling the room with smoke.

Ta much.
abs70
Mountain Walker

Re: Dalnashallag bothy

Postby Giant Stoneater » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:02 pm

Here is a recent report and includes a picture of the bothy it is more a one room shelter than anything else.

https://anaimlesshitchhiker.com/2019/06/29/hiking-the-scottish-national-trail-part-4-bothy-hopping-in-the-cairngorms/
Giant Stoneater
Backpacker

Postby garyoppolis » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:28 pm

We stayed there in August last year. Met a Dutch chap who'd tried to start a fire but he reckoned the chimney was blocked since the smoke just came back into the room. We got a broomhandle as far up as we could and gave it a shake about, and as far down from the top and gave it a shake, and couldn't find any obstruction.

Lit one of those fire-log fire lighters and piled coal around it and it drew passably well after a few minutes. There was the odd eddy of smoke back into the room but nothing dreadful. I think it's just not a great chimney. Once it heats up it's fine but if you've got smoky kindling you might well fill the room with smoke before it starts drawing.
garyoppolis

Munros:129   Corbetts:7
Grahams:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:1   

Postby abs70 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:39 pm

Cheers guys,

That walk report was what worried me initially. I think the smoke marks up the wall are a bit of a hint things aren't great with that fireplace. Much obliged for the advice.
abs70
Mountain Walker

Postby Essan » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:23 pm

I suspect the chimney hasn't been swept in many, many years. Any non MBA maintained bothy should be used with caution.

Last time I was there was in mid summer and I only used the fireplace for burning rubbish
Essan

Munros:98   Corbetts:52
Grahams:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:24   Islands:5

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to General discussion