walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

West Highland Way in April

West Highland Way in April

Postby The_Lost_Sheep » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:09 pm

Hi! I did the Southern Upland Way last summer and I've caught the bug- I want to get back out onto the trails... I don't really want to wait until next summer to hike the West Highland Way, so I was looking at going in early April. I was wondering if there were any WHW veterans who could give me any pointers on what to expect- will it be possible to wild camp the entire way, and will there be snow? I think it would be difficult to pitch a tent on frozen ground! My current plan is just to bring my trusty 3 season sleeping bag and a couple of layers- do I need proper 4 season kit? Thanks
The_Lost_Sheep
Walker

Re: West Highland Way in April

Postby davekeiller » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:14 am

The West Highland way mostly stays in the glens, so it's unlikely that there will be snow in early April, although it's not unusual to still get frosts that late and not unheard of for it to snow.
I would expect night time temperatures to hover around freezing, so a 3 season bag and some warm layers is likely to be OK, although that's a bit of a judgement call.
It should be possible to wildcamp most if not all of the way. However, the section from about Drymen to about Crianlarich is in the camping management zone of the Loch Lomond and Trossachs National park, so you would need to book a permit in advance (restrictions apply 1st March to 30th September). More info here : https://www.lochlomond-trossachs.org/things-to-do/camping/get-a-permit/
davekeiller

Munros:145   Corbetts:22
Grahams:4   Donalds:3
Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby The_Lost_Sheep » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:14 pm

Thank you, I'll have a look at that!
The_Lost_Sheep
Walker

Postby Stevekerr188 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:37 pm

Hi did it in March 2018, here is a link to the report just to give you an idea. https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=83105
I did the CWT the same year in April and used a 3 season sleeping bag. Think I carried thermals in the March but not April. It really does depend on the conditions at the time and you may have to alter your plans at the last minute. As you can see I didn't wildcamp the whole trip on the WHW but as covid stands at the minute, other forms of accommodation may not be possible
Stevekerr188
Backpacker

Munros:282   Corbetts:47
Grahams:23   Donalds:89
Hewitts:139
Wainwrights:214   Islands:16

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to General discussion