walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Gaelic Map Feature Names

Gaelic Map Feature Names

Postby Gamebird » Thu May 13, 2021 5:49 pm

I have an ambition to be able to confidently pronounce the gaelic names of places on OS maps - not just the mountains (the spoken pronunciation guide on the Walk Highlands site is great for these), but also the many rivers, streams, coires and other features.

I did a tiny bit of Gaelic at primary school, but that was many, many years ago, and long forgotten. I heard tell of an online course, possibly run by a college or uni, that taught 'Gaelic in the landscape' or something similar, but I have never been able to track such a course down.

Has anyone come across something like this? Many thanks.
Gamebird
Stravaiging

Re: Gaelic Map Feature Names

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Thu May 13, 2021 6:09 pm

Try learngaelic.scot and Duolinguo. Probably worth getting a copy of Reading the Gaelic Landscape by John Murray too.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:20   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby WeeHills » Thu May 13, 2021 6:16 pm

Could this be the course you're thinking of? Doesn't seem to be available anymore.

http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/en/cursaichean/cursaichean-goirid/gaelic-in-the-landscape-with-roddy-maclean
WeeHills

Postby Alex W » Fri May 14, 2021 10:47 am

I'm nearing the end of stage 2 Gaelic on Duolingo :lol: My main motivator was to understand the meaning of the names of mountains. It's pretty good for that, but I won't be joining the gaelic side of the bar in the Western Isles any time soon.

If you learnt some gaelic at primary school then you will have a head start. I started from zero and it has been very difficult. I'm persevering. I've just come across the device where proper names change depending on whether you're speaking about someone or directly to them. I really can't get my head around that!!!!!
Alex W
Mountain Walker

Munros:212   Corbetts:8
Fionas:8   Donalds:15
Sub 2000:12   
Islands:12

Postby NickyRannoch » Fri May 14, 2021 10:51 pm

Its run through Sabhal Mòr Ostaig
http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/en/cursaichean/cursaichean-goirid/gaidhlig-air-cruth-na-tire-air-loidhne

As well as this if you wanted to do some pre-study all the words on the learngaelic dictionary have soundfiles https://learngaelic.scot/dictionary/

Whilst this is a useful start these are all in the nominative case and most of the nouns used in landscape features will be in the genitive case.

Learngaelic also has some really useful videos on pronouncing consonant pairings, dipthongs and everything else https://learngaelic.scot/sounds/index.jsp
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby Gamebird » Sat May 15, 2021 2:15 pm

That's massively helpful, thank you so much everyone. I've done a lot of Latin, so at least understand the different noun cases. It's going to be the pronunciation I really struggle with. To pick something randomly off a map for example, I'd currently struggle to say something like Caochan a' Ghuib.

AlexW - I'm ok with the vocative case at least! We had a girl in my class at school called Mairi when you were talking about her, and Mhairi (pronounced Varri) when you were talking to her. That's tough to figure out when you're 6 years old!
Gamebird
Stravaiging

Postby Alex W » Mon May 17, 2021 9:26 am

Gamebird wrote:That's massively helpful, thank you so much everyone. I've done a lot of Latin, so at least understand the different noun cases. It's going to be the pronunciation I really struggle with. To pick something randomly off a map for example, I'd currently struggle to say something like Caochan a' Ghuib.

AlexW - I'm ok with the vocative case at least! We had a girl in my class at school called Mairi when you were talking about her, and Mhairi (pronounced Varri) when you were talking to her. That's tough to figure out when you're 6 years old!

It's Niell and Nuall I'm struggling with. And I'm a lot older than 6 :lol:
Alex W
Mountain Walker

Munros:212   Corbetts:8
Fionas:8   Donalds:15
Sub 2000:12   
Islands:12

Postby EileanB » Mon May 17, 2021 9:57 pm

The trouble with Gaelic pronunciation is that it has regional variations, and some local accents are easier to follow than others.
EileanB
Walker

Postby nigheandonn » Fri May 21, 2021 11:29 am

nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby Gamebird » Mon May 24, 2021 4:47 pm

nigheandonn wrote:http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/en/cursaichean/cursaichean-goirid/gaidhlig-air-cruth-na-tire-air-loidhne-18-08-2021

(ETA: Oops, I see NickyRannoch has already linked to a June version!)

Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much!
Gamebird
Stravaiging

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion