walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Arran Coastal Way - water sources

Arran Coastal Way - water sources

Postby AspiringHiker » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:33 pm

Hi, I'm thinking about doing Arran Coastal Way in August, but can't find information about water sources along the trail. How easy is water to come by on Arran? I normally take water from mountain streams and filter it and sheep and cattle are my biggest concern. Even with filter, I'd prefer to avoid drinking water downstream of sheep. Thanks
AspiringHiker
Backpacker

Re: Arran Coastal Way - water sources

Postby Arthurs Eat » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:11 am

I did the coastal path two years ago. You should pass through or near civilisation to omit the need to drink from puddles.
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:29
Fionas:17   Donalds:38
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:32   Islands:16

Postby AyrshireAlps » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:47 am

No shortage of water sources, as you pass through several villages. Pretty much every burn on the coast will have been through sheep farming land though if that's your concern.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby AspiringHiker » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:56 pm

Thanks, normally getting water in the villages would be ok, but these days some pubs may well be closed and I don't like distressing people by knocking on their door so might have to reconsider.
AspiringHiker
Backpacker

Postby AyrshireAlps » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:18 pm

You'll be fine, pretty much everything is open on Arran, and they have a wee toilet agreement with local pubs etc too to allow public to use their toilets, so you'll get water. Even without that, no pub over there would refuse a walker water.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby AspiringHiker » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:12 pm

AyrshireAlps wrote:You'll be fine, pretty much everything is open on Arran, and they have a wee toilet agreement with local pubs etc too to allow public to use their toilets, so you'll get water. Even without that, no pub over there would refuse a walker water.

Thanks for the tip. Are the many opportunities for wild camping without being on the edge of town or close to people's houses? We have done a couple of 100k walks in the highlands were lack of sheep and people make camping very easy.
AspiringHiker
Backpacker

Postby AspiringHiker » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:15 pm

Arthurs Eat wrote:I did the coastal path two years ago. You should pass through or near civilisation to omit the need to drink from puddles.

Did you use B&Bs or wild camp?
AspiringHiker
Backpacker

Postby AyrshireAlps » Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:57 pm

Loads of options to wild camp all round the island not an issue. Also good campsites at lamlash, kildonan, shiskine and Lochranza
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby Arthurs Eat » Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:27 am

I would add that the south end of the island on the coastal path is stunning but pretty rough going so give yourself plenty time. In reflection I would have got this out the way for a more relaxed end of week.
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:29
Fionas:17   Donalds:38
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:32   Islands:16

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion