walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Ticks

Ticks

Postby Jon and Jen » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:01 pm

Anyone else get disproportionate amounts of ticks? I've always been attractive to bloodsuckers of all types but I rarely come back from a walk without. Really fed up with it. Pulled 7 out of myself today so far. :(
Jon and Jen
Mountain Walker

Munros:37   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   

Re: Ticks

Postby bar72 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:18 pm

I was thinking about ticks myself when coming down through heather in shorts and t-shirt last week. Not a single one on me when I reached the forestry track.
bar72
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:189
Fionas:71   Donalds:67+40
Sub 2000:73   
Islands:14

Postby matt_outandabout » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:41 am

One of our son's is a tick magnet. He gets great more than any of the rest of the family, even on same days out.
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:30

Postby Mal Grey » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:46 am

On our annual paddling adventures, two of the dozen or so of us get disproportionately more ticks than anybody else, for now apparent reason. They're now probably the most paranoid and cautious of us.

Maybe they recognise fear. :shock:
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Sgurr » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:49 pm

I usually get more than husband...which means he is less paranoid than me and less prone to searching for them and more prone to getting the bullseye rash (twice).
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby al78 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:42 pm

I've never had an issue with ticks, maybe because I very rarely wear shorts. Midges swarm around me like flies around fresh dung, but no ticks problems (yet).
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby gld73 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:08 pm

Never found a tick on me in years of hillwalking ...until this year. Had my first one last month and it took me about 15 mins to get it off so have been a bit paranoid about them since. Did a walk earlier this week with my trousers tucked in to my socks yet found 2 of them attached to my thigh when I got home.

I'm hoping ticks have just been missing human company during lockdown, and will go back to ignoring me next year once things are back to normal ...
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Postby Giant Stoneater » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:32 am

Am a total tick magnet removed over 30 from myself from one walk over a couple of days then took a trip to docs for antibiotics. Have been spraying my clothing with Life Systems EX4 Anti-Mosquito Spray which contains Permethrin and lasts about 2 weeks on clothing, seems to be working either that or my body chemistry has changed.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby Jon and Jen » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:07 pm

Giant Stoneater wrote:Am a total tick magnet removed over 30 from myself from one walk over a couple of days then took a trip to docs for antibiotics. Have been spraying my clothing with Life Systems EX4 Anti-Mosquito Spray which contains Permethrin and lasts about 2 weeks on clothing, seems to be working either that or my body chemistry has changed.

I will try this. I come out in itchy big spots where they have been. Intolerable itching and then a couple of days of phantom itching where I can feel them everywhere. :crazy:
Jon and Jen
Mountain Walker

Postby Marty_JG » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:32 pm

I've had a couple, as has the dog. Remember always to use a tick twister tool to remove them. Getting them off ASAP is a good idea, the longer they are attached the more likely the Lyme infection can take hold.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Jon and Jen » Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:49 pm

Marty_JG wrote:I've had a couple, as has the dog. Remember always to use a tick twister tool to remove them. Getting them off ASAP is a good idea, the longer they are attached the more likely the Lyme infection can take hold.

I've never managed to get one out with any tick tool. They are still too small when I find them. I use tweezers but quite often burst them. :(
Jon and Jen
Mountain Walker

Postby mrssanta » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:11 pm

Jon and Jen wrote:
Marty_JG wrote:I've had a couple, as has the dog. Remember always to use a tick twister tool to remove them. Getting them off ASAP is a good idea, the longer they are attached the more likely the Lyme infection can take hold.

I've never managed to get one out with any tick tool. They are still too small when I find them. I use tweezers but quite often burst them. :(

The o'tom tick twister is the best of all the several I have tried. It comes in two sizes and the small size takes the smallest nymphs off. Squeezing them is not a good idea as you can squeeze the Lyme bacteria into you, which is not recommended. They will rarely cause a problem if removed within 24hrs.
I always carry mine with me. You can get them online or from your local vet - the veterinary ones are green but exactly the same as the orange human one
I understand they made the orange version as people were funny about using a veterinary device. Which I think is a bit silly if it works but people eh?
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Tringa » Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:50 am

Good to hear the Tom o Tick works on the nymphs.

Nearly all the ticks I have seen in the last few years have been nymphs and VERY small.

I have a credit card sized tick device and sometimes even the smaller of the two removers is too small to deal with the smallest nymphs.

Dave
Tringa

Postby Jon and Jen » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:45 am

I've tried all types of tick removers without success. Jen could not get any out with them either. Maybe I'm doing it wrong but I just could not get them into the slot of the things. It always just passed over them. No amount of rocking, sliding or twisting them worked. I am careful not to burst them with the tweezers but sometimes it happens. Then I just scratch out the area to open it up and apply savlon. I end up scratching them all open anyway. I get fierce itchy anywhere I've been bitten by anything.
Jon and Jen
Mountain Walker

Postby tweedledog » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:55 am

I've used the O Tom twisting tool for many, many years now both on myself and the dog. Works every time. Needs slightly more care with the smaller one.
Tweezers are a mistake!
tweedledog
Wanderer

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion