walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Blair Atholl to Aviemore in October?

Blair Atholl to Aviemore in October?

Postby AnnaBeck » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:04 pm

Hi
I'm hoping to do the Blair Atholl to Aviemore hike in 3 days in mid-October with my husband and dog. We have good camping gear and are experienced walkers, but we don't have much experience of snow - I'm hoping snow normally falls later but wanted to check. We won't be adding any hikes off the main track. Advice welcome! Thanks in anticipation!
AnnaBeck

Re: Blair Atholl to Aviemore in October?

Postby Border Reiver » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:33 pm

Although there's a chance of snow over the highest part of the Lairig Ghru (over 2,700 ft), your main problems might be crossing the Geldie and Bynack burns if there's been heavy rain. I've crossed them with boots on a few times in summer, during dry spells of weather, but I would guess that with a bit of unsettled weather, they could involve serious wading, or even be impassable. Have a plan B and C just in case. Enjoy the walk, it's great.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby WalkWithWallace » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:53 am

Whilst it's not uncommon for snow to arrive in October, it's usually only a dusting and the chances of it affecting your route are minimal. Just keep an eye on the forecast on the run up to your trip. 8)
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby davekeiller » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:35 pm

There's unlikely to be significant snow accumulations at that time of year, but burns could be difficult to cross if there's lots of rain and they're in spate.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby rgf101 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:28 pm

Yeah, barring bizarre weather you'll be fine. My only advice would be that if you're camping around Bynack Lodge, maybe do the extra mile or so to get the river crossings out of the way for the next day. There's plenty of good camping all round there, and once you're over the Geldie you can a) relax about sudden downpours ruining tomorrow's plans and b) dry your feet if things went wrong.

Would love to see photos of those burns in full spate, if anyone has them. The only one I can find (didn't look very hard, mind) has a guy crossing it and he's only up to his ankles.

How are you breaking the three days, out of curiosity.
rgf101

Postby gorillagorilla » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:11 pm

I did this route in august, the crossings were only mid calf deep at about 8am after very heavy rain the evening and night before. May be different in October, but it was very heavy rain for 14hrs before i crossed.

It is a good walk but the section from white bridge to the bothy is hard going due to the condition of the path. 3 days should be fairly relaxed.
gorillagorilla
Mountain Walker

Munros:74   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:7

Postby Jon and Jen » Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:17 pm

I did this solo in Oct 2019. It was not too bad, Bynack burn was a wade (About 1ft deep) but was fine with poles and I had some lycra/rubber slip ons for my feet. It was a bit tricky over the rockfalls in the lairig ghru as it had started snowing and there was an inch of snow covering the rocks. Slippy and dangerous. I did not see any of the scenery with snow blowing in my face. All in all a nice walk I've done a few times now in both directions but Oct is a bit of a gamble really.
Jon and Jen
Mountain Walker

Munros:37   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   

Postby AnnaBeck » Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:05 pm

Thank you for all your replies. Our plan is to camp at/near Bynack Bothy on the first night and Carrour on the second. That said, we might set up camp sooner on the first day as otherwise that makes day 2 quite short. Will let you know! Thanks for the advice. At least the weather forecast is currently looking dry....
AnnaBeck

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:12 am

As ever, at this time of year I must issue a warning not to mimic the rutting stags' bellowing and roaring, as it can cause unforeseen problems... :shock:
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=103&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=stag+nation&start=45#p172875
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby NickyRannoch » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:25 am

AnnaBeck wrote:Thank you for all your replies. Our plan is to camp at/near Bynack Bothy on the first night and Carrour on the second. That said, we might set up camp sooner on the first day as otherwise that makes day 2 quite short. Will let you know! Thanks for the advice. At least the weather forecast is currently looking dry....

I know you are camping but just to warn you not to expect any bothy at Bynack Lodge. Its an old ruin.

Ruighe Ealasaid - where the Bynack and Geldie meet will be getting made into a bothy but not yet.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby AnnaBeck » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:18 pm

Thanks! Am aware that Bynack is a ruin but appreciate you taking the time to clarify as would have been a nasty surprise otherwise!
AnnaBeck

Postby AnnaBeck » Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:22 pm

A belated thanks again to this forum. We did the walk in mid October and were lucky with the weather (sort of). We found the rivers only just above boot height although running fast so the wave came up to my knees. Very very cold for a soft southerner like me but passable. Very grateful to @rgf101 for the advice to cross on day 1 as it rained hard overnight and all the next day (most of which we spent in Carrour bothy sheltering!). It was a stunning walk. Can't wait for the new bothy to open formally. Thanks again
AnnaBeck

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion