walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

West Drumochter 4 - bike at one end ?

West Drumochter 4 - bike at one end ?

Postby Kenny Raeside » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:48 pm

I’m thinking about doing the west Drumochter 4 tomorrow, I’ve read a couple of reports saying it’s a bit of a trudge back up the A9 to the car.
I’ll have the bike with me, any suggestions as to where I could leave it to enable a cycle back to the car when I come off the hills ?
Kenny Raeside
Mountain Walker

Munros:62   

Re: West Drumochter 4 - bike at one end ?

Postby jmarkb » Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:18 pm

It's only a couple of miles, but not too pleasant due to how close you are to the A9. Stop at Layby 79 (NN632756, https://goo.gl/maps/r3bZibYu6YfpNSTK9), dump the bike somewhere down the track, towards the bridge under the railway, and start the walk from Balsporran. There is a larger car park 400m further N from Layby 79 with assorted trees, fences and posts to lock a bike to, but it may be hard to make it inconspicuous: https://goo.gl/maps/cjoMYTpp8jLKLfto6
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:241   Corbetts:98
Grahams:81   Donalds:31
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Kenny Raeside » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:31 pm

Thanks Jmarkb 👍
Kenny Raeside
Mountain Walker

Postby rockhopper » Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:15 am

I parked the car in the lay-by where the Coire Dhomhain meets the A9. Cycled up to Balsporran cottages and just locked up the bike at the edge of the car park - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:73   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:19

Postby Kenny Raeside » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:34 pm

I did them yesterday intending to camp in the hills overnight as I’d done A bhuidheanach-bheag and Cairn na Caim in the morning, thinking I’d be a bit tired to finish the 4, but the weather turned so decided to press on and finish them.
When I got back to the A9 I’d wished I’d left the bike but didn’t want to leave it overnight as was my initial plan. Camped in one of the bigger lay-bys on the A9 😳
Had an easier day today, nice weather doing Carn a Chlamain 👍
Kenny Raeside
Mountain Walker

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion