walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

First highlands May 2022 - Midges, ticks, car rental

First highlands May 2022 - Midges, ticks, car rental

Postby geraty » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:14 pm

Initial Highlands hiking. We plan to do mostly day hikes out of Glencoe & Killin 18 to 29 May 2022.
1) Midges - recommendations on specific midge headnets and or bug repellent; also tick repellent. I live in an area of US with lots of ticks, nats, mosquitos etc, so I'm generally familiar with problem, but would appreciate advice, esp regards midges.
2) Car rental - I was surprised how expensive it was compared to US. So, any suggestions about rental agencies in Edinburgh would be appreciated.
Thanks a lot.
geraty
Scrambler

Re: First highlands May 2022 - Midges, ticks, car rental

Postby Holly » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:00 am

Re the dreaded midge. You should be ok up until the last week in May where they may be starting their quest for human blood. All depends on temps tho. Midge nets bought from over here have much tighter netting. Midgies have been known to infiltrate the mosquito net. No problems tho if there is a decent breeze. Re ticks ,,,, well they will be up and about and ready to rock and roll. Personally I sure Smidge for repelling of both. Carry a tick remover and some people spray permethrin on their clothes to deter ticks. Re transport .. cannot comment on that I’m afraid. Hope you get great weather and have a wonderful time :-)
Holly
Munro compleatist

Munros:240   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:06 am

Car rental is ridiculously expensive; they often quote a small amount per day maybe £20, leading you to believe it's a good deal, then when you turn up they add on the insurance at sixty quid per day! And it doesn't matter that you have fully comprehensive insurance yourself, you must pay their "insurance". It's a bloody scam. And if you are used to driving an automatic, they are in short supply in the U.K. Please remember we drive on the correct side of the road here. :D If you are going to crash into another vehicle on a single-lane road, crash to the left. I once came head-on against a rental car full of Spaniards who instinctively crashed to their right, just as I swerved to my left...

DSCF5988b#r.jpg
Loch Linnhe from Ballachulish near Glen Coe
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby BigTed » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:47 am

Car rental? Where have you tried? Arnold Clark quoting me about £40 - £50 per day for a 11 day hire from Edinburgh Airport (well 3 minute shuttle bus ride). That is half what I am getting quoted for car hire in San Francisco next Sept.

https://www.arnoldclarkrental.com
BigTed
Mountain Walker

Postby prog99 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:57 pm

You may wish to take a seat and pour a stiff drink when you see the price of petrol here.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby GillSte » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:19 pm

Midges shouldn't be too bad in May but good old fashioned DEET will keep them away - I use Jungle formula. Ticks will be out and about in force though. Apply a ring of DEET on your legs above your socks, tuck your trousers into your socks, avoid long vegetation where the ticks hide (bracken, long grass, bushes), and don't sit directly on the ground, sit on your rucksack. Good luck!
GillSte
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:39
Sub 2000:559   Hewitts:221
Wainwrights:107   Islands:69

Postby GillSte » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:22 pm

Maybe try https://www.rentalcars.com/ ? Not sure how they will compare but often the cheapest.
GillSte
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:39
Sub 2000:559   Hewitts:221
Wainwrights:107   Islands:69

Postby davekeiller » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:12 pm

I've rented with Arnold Clark and Enterprise before, and found both to be good. I wasn't impressed with Budget, who are the same company as Europcar.
Don't get their insurance. Third party insurance is already included (it legally has to be). You can get car hire insurance for about £30 for an annual policy.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby calicoshmalico » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:37 pm

Smidge for the Midge's it's kinder to your skin than Deet.
Permethrin will kill the Tick's on contact (Life Systems, spray on your clothing)
Enterprise Car Hire, competitive prices but full cover adds a significant amount to the overall cost.

Enjoy your trip.

DH
calicoshmalico
Mountain Walker

Munros:128   Corbetts:18
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:4   Islands:6

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:52 am

prog99 wrote:You may wish to take a seat and pour a stiff drink when you see the price of petrol here.

That's a point; travel by train means you CAN have a seat and pour a stiff drink... Shame Glen Coe and Killin don't have railway stations...

North Ballachulish Stone#2.jpg
Standing Stone, North Ballachulish.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby al78 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:05 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:
prog99 wrote:You may wish to take a seat and pour a stiff drink when you see the price of petrol here.

That's a point; travel by train means you CAN have a seat and pour a stiff drink... Shame Glen Coe and Killin don't have railway stations...

Rail fares are equally eye watering in the UK if you can't get advance tickets. The UK is an expensive country, full stop.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:37 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:

Unfortunately Scotland doesn't trust it's citizens to have a stiff drink on it's trains so alcohol is banned on all Scotrail trains. The only way you can have a civilised drink on a train in Scotland is if you travel with an English carrier.

Apart from that Caberfeidh, I thought you would remember the railway station at Glencoe / Ballachulish.

Ballachulish train crossing the Connel Bridge & Beinn Lora in the background :D
20140703_135555-1 (1).jpg
Sunset tripper

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion