walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Fort William three-four day hike.

Fort William three-four day hike.

Postby AspiringHiker » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:24 pm

We are completing the WH way (last three stages only) and want to extend the trip by 3-4 days. Currently I'm considering continuing from Fort William to village of Corran. From Corran, I'd like to follow Glen Gour to Ariundle NNR. From here, I'm thinking following the track to Polloch and to Loch Shiel. Finally, we'd like to follow the track along Loch Shiel to Glenfinnan train station.

Has anyone done this or similar trail in the area and can share thoughts on the route? Most of the plan follows paths or tracks, but a chunk in Glen Gour is pathless, but I can't see another way of getting to Ariundle without dealing with difficult slopes.

Is walk along Loch Shiel interesting or dull without any views?

Experience wise, we've done multiple trails including Affric Kintail Way and average about 25k a day with packs, but we can't do any scrambling or go through exposed terrain.

Thanks for input.
AspiringHiker
Backpacker

Re: Fort William three-four day hike.

Postby jmarkb » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:30 pm

I think that's a sound plan. There are couple of (brief) descriptions of the Glen Gour to Ariundle section here https://simon-willis.blogspot.com/2014/07/walking-glen-gour-to-strontian.html and https://www.wildlochaber.com/events/ramblers-scotland-glen-gour-strontian-sallachan which don't mention anything horrible!

The "track" to Polloch is actually a metalled road, but traffic should be pretty sparse.

Loch Shiel is attractive, with good view to the hills on the far side. There is some commercial forestry but I don't think it will obscure the views too much, and there is also some nice native woodland.

Are you planning to get public transport from FW to Corran?
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby LobeyD » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:01 pm

I've cycled Polloch to Glenfinnan on the east side of Loch Sheil. Found it quite disappointing. It is a major (i.e. very engineered) forestry track so a bit uninteresting and views of the loch and hills to the west were typically obscured by large trees between the track and loch.

Another option if you have 3-4 days is Cona Glen->Glenfinnan->Glen Dessary->Inverie (Knoydart) then ferry to Mallaig and train. Upper Dessary is a bit of a bog fest but the rest is stunning.
LobeyD

Munros:254   Corbetts:94
Fionas:38   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Fiona Reid » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:51 pm

Fort William to Corran would be a pretty hideous road walk. I'm not sure if there's even pavement all the way but even if there is that distance alongside the A82 wouldn't be my idea of fun.

You can go via Lochan Lunn Da Bhra. All but 1.5km is on tarmac or good forestry tracks. The pathless 1.5km is boggy, rough and tussocky but if it's clear you'll get some decent views. Alternatively get the bus. If was lugging a big pack that's what I'd do for that section...

The Black Isle Bar in FW does amazing pizzas.
Fiona Reid
Mountaineer

Munros:121   Corbetts:35
Fionas:219   Donalds:86
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:44
Wainwrights:61   

Postby AyrshireAlps » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:38 am

The Charlie Ramsay Round, that would be a cracking way to bookend an easy walk to FW along the WHW :wink:
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby WalkWithWallace » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:31 am

Looks like a decent plan to me. 8)

Fiona Reid wrote:Fort William to Corran would be a pretty hideous road walk. I'm not sure if there's even pavement all the way but even if there is that distance alongside the A82 wouldn't be my idea of fun.

I agree about walking down to Corran from Fort William though. I'd get the wee passenger ferry across to Camusnagaul and walk down the much less busy A861.

Another wee suggestion to throw into the mix is to follow the Cape Wrath Trail to Glenfinnan, then Glenfinnan to Inverie. Boat back over to Mailaig then the train to back to Fort Bill.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby AspiringHiker » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:30 pm

jmarkb wrote:Loch Shiel is attractive, with good view to the hills on the far side. There is some commercial forestry but I don't think it will obscure the views too much, and there is also some nice native woodland.
Are you planning to get public transport from FW to Corran?

Thanks. I originally thought of walking to Corran, but given it's a miserable road walk, we'll heed the advice to take public transport.

LobeyD wrote: views of the loch and hills to the west were typically obscured by large trees between the track and loch.

I saw on satellite photos there were forestry works on the hills side which probably does little to improve the view. Your alternative is Cape Wrath Trail, isn't it? Might be a good option, but it misses Ariundle NNR which I was keen to visit.

Fiona Reid wrote:The Black Isle Bar in FW does amazing pizzas.

Thanks, we struggled with lunch last time we were in FW. If we do this route, we'll be skipping the road as suggested by you and others.

AyrshireAlps wrote:The Charlie Ramsay Round, that would be a cracking

Is it normally done with multiday packs? :)

WalkWithWallace wrote:I'd get the wee passenger ferry across to Camusnagaul and walk down the much less busy A861.

We'll heed that advice. As for Cape Wrath Trail, it's tempting, but I was keen to visit Ariundle NNR.
AspiringHiker
Backpacker

Postby AyrshireAlps » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:43 am

Is it normally done with multiday packs? :)

15Kg? Nae bother, 3 days walking, 2 nights camping with enough food for another day if required! :-)
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby AyrshireAlps » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:43 am

Edit - just seen your no scrambling part, so maybe not then eh :D

What about heading out Glen Nevis to Meanach bothy, Lairig Leacach to Spean Bridge, past Tulloch station and Loch Laggan and then pick up track out to east end of Loch Ossian from where you could either finish at Corour station or add on a few extra miles to Rannoch Station?.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion