walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Loch Katrine Wild Camp.

Loch Katrine Wild Camp.

Postby soleman1972 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:08 pm

Hello all,

Yesterday , I enjoyed the very scenic walk from Katrine Peir to Stronachlachar Peir and back. My initial plan was to continue the walk on towards Inversnaid then return by the same route.This,however proved to be a little ambitious factoring in daylight hours and stopping to take in the views.
Having seen a few locations where I could camp overnight ( Katrine shoreline ) I checked the LLTNP Camping Management Zones and could not find any restrictions on the shoreline or immediate vicinity.
As I understand it the camping bye laws are in effect from March-Sept.
So, am I ok to camp overnight for one night , or would I incur the wrath of all decent minded folk and find myself ostrasized from polite society forever.
Thanks.

h
soleman1972

Munros:56   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2

Re: Loch Katrine Wild Camp.

Postby davekeiller » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:43 pm

If the camping management zone doesn't have restrictions, you should be OK. Generally, if restrictions are in place, there are signs up.
If you're sensible about it, you're unlikely to get caught, so whether it's technically against the rules is academic. I suspect that Loch Katrine doesn't really get many problems because it's too far for neds to walk once they've parked the car.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby soleman1972 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:38 pm

Thanks for replying.
Definitely no signs regarding camping. I would be following the " leave no trace " mantra. I am curious as to why there appear to be no restrictions surrounding the loch Katrine area but most/all of the other trossach lochs have restrictions in place.
I would rather know that I wasn't going to upset anyone by camping or otherwise be breaking any laws, than hiding my tent from view.
thanks again.
soleman1972

Postby Skyelines » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:04 pm

soleman1972 wrote:Thanks for replying.
I am curious as to why there appear to be no restrictions surrounding the loch Katrine area but most/all of the other trossach lochs have restrictions in place.

There are no public roads around Loch Katrine but the roadsides to Stronachlachar and Loch Arklet are in the restriction zone..

Dirty campers are also lazy campers.
Skyelines
Wanderer

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:41 am

Loch Katrine is a domestic water reservoir, there may be other restriction which apply to it. Scottish Water may be able to advise. https://www.scottishwater.co.uk/
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby jmarkb » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:39 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:Loch Katrine is a domestic water reservoir, there may be other restriction which apply to it.

No restrictions as far as I can see: https://www.scottishwater.co.uk/your-home/campaigns/enabling-responsible-access/respect-our-reservoirs - just (sensible) advice.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby soleman1972 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:50 pm

Thanks for the replies,
Thank you for the link Caberfeidh-jmarkb. Seems like Scottish Water's position mirrors the outdoor code, which I would be following anyway.
Seems I should be ok for one night then ,

cheers guys
soleman1972

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion