walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Next hill, what to do?

Next hill, what to do?

Postby Manwaeadug » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:07 pm

I've done a couple of wee hills now (Merrick & Ben Lomond) and got a few overnight camps under my belt with my wee furry companion.
With a wee break in the recent poor weather forecast I'm looking to take advantage at the weekend and get a couple of days camp with a nice walk involving a hill or two in the bag. My problem is that as I am new to this I don't really have a clue as to what would be suitable for us.

I'm travelling from South Ayrshire and I'd like the walk to be reasonably easy* (in other words, I'd kinda like to be following a path/track), particularly as everywhere will be a bogfest at the moment!
I'd like to arrive, walk out, camp, do a wee walk, camp, walk back & have time to travel home. Or, arrive, camp, walk, camp, walk back (hope that makes sense).
I've got a few hills in my list that I took from the sites 10 easier hills (or something like that) list and it would be nice if I could do one of them, but I have not got a clue about parking, how busy they'll be, suitable spots to camp etc.
The multi day walks I've got earmarked I'd like to keep for better weather next year.

I was hoping the good folks on here could maybe direct me toward something suitable? It doesn't have to involve a munro or corbett (but it would be nice if it did).

Travel time? I'll be driving, and I don't really mind the time it takes, dependent on whether I'd be heading straight out or camping then walking the next day.

Not looking for folks to do the work for me and plan it out (but if you like that kinda thing......feel free to do so. lol ), just a few pointers would be handy.

* Easy doesn't mean non strenuous, just reasonably easy in terms of navigation (Obviously I'll still take a map & compass). I'm just trying to get the confidence and required knowledge before I disappear into the Cairngorms for a week!

As ever, thanks for any advice.
Manwaeadug
Walker

Munros:1   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   
Walk wish-list

Re: Next hill, what to do?

Postby davekeiller » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:21 pm

From South Ayrshire, the obvious places to head are the Galloway Forest Park or Loch Lomond.
There's camping restrictions along Loch Lomond and there have been problems with irresponsible campers this summer, so if you want to wildcamp then I'd head down to Galloway.
If you want a campsite, then Inverarnan is an obvious Loch Lomond suggestion.
Alternatively, you could get the ferry across to Arran
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Low Level Walker » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:43 pm

If based in South Ayrshire I would second Arran. However getting ferry booked in these Covid times can prove difficult.

A couple of popular spots for wild camping are on coast along Millstone Point way and then the Lochan at Coire Fhionn Lochan.

So if you were camping for 2 nights you could take bus to Sannox or North Sannox to Millstone Point. This will be a 3 or 4 mile walk (depending on where you get off bus). Following day you could then follow ACW to Lochranza either along coastal route or cut inland at Laggan Cottage. This will be about 8 miles or so. The section along coastal way can be a bit scrambly, so be warned. From Lochranza you can then get bus to Thundergay and do walk to Lochan and camp there.

May be logistically difficult with trying to time your walk with bus times however. Or you could do Lochan on first night.

You also have Glen Rosa and you have the Corbett Ben Nuis, again maybe a bit of a difficult pull up.

Basically in a nutshell Arran provides many opportunities. You could just wing it and make up your own route and plans.

Enjoy your trip whatever you decide upon.
Low Level Walker
Scrambler

Munros:12   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:9   Islands:3

Postby Manwaeadug » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:23 pm

Yeah, I looked at Arran, but ferry is booked more or less a fortnight in advance. :(

Galloway Forest Park is a good fall back, been there a few times the past month or so.

Kinda fancied somewhere north, I was looking at Ben Lawers and Beinn Ghlass but I'm utterly clueless about the area. Also, not sure about the weather given it's a bit higher level than I'd be used to.

Also looked at Buachille Etive Beag. Again, I'm wondering whether it would be suitable for a wild camp around there.

I'm maybe wanting to run before I can walk here, Would it be an idea to avoid bigger hills until next summer? Just get a bit more experience in and around an area I've already been perhaps?
Manwaeadug
Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby mmill » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:57 pm

On the met Office you can get forecasts for all the munros. Check the wind as much as the rain etc. Beinn ghlas is a good beginner one and depending on how it's going you can carry on to ben lawers. Depending on conditions it can be quite midgy around there.
mmill
Mountain Walker

Munros:263   Corbetts:57
Fionas:11   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:30   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:18

Postby sc00ba87 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:24 pm

I'd seriously consider Mount Keen via Glen Tanar.

It's north, it has a long walk in from Glen Tanar through a huge Pine Forest for a few miles then opens into a glen for another few miles before ascending Mount Keen itself. I just climbed Mount Keen from here at the weekend with a few friends and my partner and the only regret we had was not bringing the tent.

There are some seriously fantastic areas to wild camp, both, in the forest but particularly in the Glen itself.

The walk from where we parked was 18.5 miles from the car, top of Mount keen, back to the car (the walk route on here is listed as 16.75 miles but the car park at the start beside Glen Tanar Estate Office is closed for now, there is another car park 0.75 miles down the road) and was a fantastic long walk in. I will 100% return here for this very reason.

There is a very clear path from the car park to the summit and back, very well maintained. The ground underfoot on the ascent isn't the greatest though, very loose.

Whichever you choose, I'm sure it will be fantastic. Best of luck.
sc00ba87
Hill Bagger

Munros:33   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:6   
Walk wish-list

Postby Manwaeadug » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:03 pm

I'm going to add Mount Keen to my list, it looks a good one. Thanks. :thumbup:
Manwaeadug
Walker

Walk wish-list

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion