walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

BBC - help needed - off-grid or regular campers

BBC - help needed - off-grid or regular campers

Postby helenw » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:05 pm

Can anyone help the BBC with this request for keen campers/off grid backpackers for new series?
BBC Scotland - Flyer.jpg
helenw
Site Admin

Munros:282   Corbetts:183
Grahams:17   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:93

Re: BBC - help needed - off-grid or regular campers

Postby Coop » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:05 pm

Ageism from auntie :D
Coop
Mountain Walker

Munros:275   Corbetts:121
Grahams:62   Donalds:84
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:10
Walk wish-list

Postby Marty_JG » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:01 pm

Coop wrote:Ageism from auntie :D

Aye.

"Like wild-camping? What we really need is some fit young things our stay-at-home viewers can go 'phwoar' over whilst everyone pretends we're making a camping documentary. Daisy Duke shorts optional - but welcome!"
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:8   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:21 pm

Seriously ageist. I didn't even start this lark until I was 59!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:175   Corbetts:32
Hewitts:247
Wainwrights:100   

Postby al78 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:41 am

Not necessarily ageism, what is the programme about and who is it aimed at? Get the facts first before throwing trendy accusations about. A programme featuring a particular age group is not necessarily agesm, any more than it being based in Scotland is regionalism.
al78
Walker

Munros:28   Corbetts:8
Donalds:1

Postby CharlesT » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:27 am

Alternatively, as Mark Twain said "Never let the facts get in the way of a good story". :D
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:48 am

Yep....typical BBC...ageist...chasing after the yoof demographic.
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:175   
Grahams:1   

Postby CharlesT » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:52 pm

Lightfoot2017 wrote:Yep....typical BBC...ageist...chasing after the yoof demographic.

Fear you may be right. I'm a long term BBC fan and listener and their chasing after ratings seems misguided for a public service broadcaster. Agree they need a dose of commercial reality in their thinking, but not at the risk of alienating their key constituency of listeners.

And while we're about it, having just qualified for a free licence they're going to take it away. ☹ Boo! Hiss!
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Postby Pads4 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:43 pm

The cynic in me thinks the age requirement is more so they can paint a picture of young people camping irresponsibly and everyone can have a good moan.

If I was you I would be worried that it's used as ammunition for more legislation against wild camping which seems to the hot topic at the moment during COVID.
Pads4
Munro compleatist

Munros:51   
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:1
Islands:6

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:07 pm

CharlesT wrote:
Lightfoot2017 wrote:Yep....typical BBC...ageist...chasing after the yoof demographic.

Fear you may be right. I'm a long term BBC fan and listener and their chasing after ratings seems misguided for a public service broadcaster. Agree they need a dose of commercial reality in their thinking, but not at the risk of alienating their key constituency of listeners.

And while we're about it, having just qualified for a free licence they're going to take it away. ☹ Boo! Hiss!

Hand on heart, I honestly cannot remember the last time I watched anything on BBC TV. I listen to the radio and use the News website, but TV? Mehhhhh.... Its only the very VERY rare occasions that i might tune in to a documentary thsts been heavily flagged and is of interest to me. Thon documentary about the Highlands narrated by Ewan McGregor a couple of years back being a case in point.
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:175   
Grahams:1   

Postby Fractral » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:26 pm

CharlesT wrote:

Agreed, they shouldn't really be acknowledging the existence of young people. I mean, the licence fee is a rip of so none of us watch the BBC in the first place. And the last thing young campers need is more attention right now, since a large portion of the populace seem to want to ban wild camping :(

/s but only sort of, I fit the description but why would I ever want half the country to get a look at my quiet weekends camping...? Not that I imagine they'll struggle to find people to film.
Fractral
Mountain Walker

Munros:263   Corbetts:45
Grahams:22   Donalds:18
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:107   Islands:4

Postby Sgurr » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:57 pm

Let's face it, as we age, some of us campers do appear a tad grumpy. WE've only done it in the last 20 years or so if we absolutely can't get to a hill any other way, we don't do it because we like camping. Even folding himself into a tent was an effort for R for Ben Armine and Creag Mhor
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:219   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:138
Wainwrights:160   Islands:58

Postby Glengavel » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:03 pm

Marty_JG wrote:
"Like wild-camping? What we really need is some fit young things our stay-at-home viewers can go 'phwoar' over whilst everyone pretends we're making a camping documentary. Daisy Duke shorts optional - but welcome!"

Well, I'm in. For the scenery, obviously.
Glengavel
Walker

Munros:23   Corbetts:5
Grahams:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:23   Islands:18

Postby CharlesT » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:03 am

Glengavel wrote:
Marty_JG wrote:

Well, I'm in. For the scenery, obviously.

Won't be the same without Barbara Windsor though. 😄
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion