walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Campervans

Campervans

Postby MountainTrail » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:20 pm

Are these insufferable vehicles making trips to the mountains that bit more painstaking and tedious?
They are everywhere, clogging up the roads whilst hoovering up any available car parking spaces.
General road etiquette seems to be lost on the drivers of these vehicles with no consideration for the mile long queues behind them .
I abhor and detest the sight of them , am I alone ?
Hopefully the campervan season will be over soon

Still had a great weekend in Skye right enough :D
MountainTrail

Munros:281   Corbetts:29
Fionas:8   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:12   

Re: Campervans

Postby KeithS » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:48 pm

That's a bit of a sweeping generalisation.

I agree that not all campervanners behave in a responsible manner, however many of these are the rental ones where the drivers are not used to driving such vehicles and are not given the necessary training.

I have a van conversion and would like to feel I use it in a responsible manner. I never have more than a couple of vehicles behind me and never for longer than absolutely necessary. I am keen to let following vehicles past me, even though I do not drive particularly slowly.

Whilst I do like to wild camp I follow the guidelines. I do not park near people's property or campsites. I do not mass park with other vans, I wouldn't want to. Yes, my vehicle takes up a little more space than a car, although not much more than a large estate car.

Even if I am not using campsites I do make sure I make use of all the local amenities, supporting shops, restaurants and tourist attractions so feel I contribute to the local communities where I am visiting.

I always take all my rubbish home (often along with rubbish I find from others near to where I am parked). I am self sufficient with regard to toilet and waste water so do not affect the local environment.

I am not supporting all motorhome users. I live for much of the time on the NC500 and am aware of some of the problems they cause but I do object to such a sweeping hatred of all motorhome users.

Keith
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Postby MountainTrail » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:57 pm

KeithS wrote:That's a bit of a sweeping generalisation.

I agree that not all campervanners behave in a responsible manner, however many of these are the rental ones where the drivers are not used to driving such vehicles and are not given the necessary training.

I have a van conversion and would like to feel I use it in a responsible manner. I never have more than a couple of vehicles behind me and never for longer than absolutely necessary. I am keen to let following vehicles past me, even though I do not drive particularly slowly.

Whilst I do like to wild camp I follow the guidelines. I do not park near people's property or campsites. I do not mass park with other vans, I wouldn't want to. Yes, my vehicle takes up a little more space than a car, although not much more than a large estate car.

Even if I am not using campsites I do make sure I make use of all the local amenities, supporting shops, restaurants and tourist attractions so feel I contribute to the local communities where I am visiting.

I always take all my rubbish home (often along with rubbish I find from others near to where I am parked). I am self sufficient with regard to toilet and waste water so do not affect the local environment.

I am not supporting all motorhome users. I live for much of the time on the NC500 and am aware of some of the problems they cause but I do object to such a sweeping hatred of all motorhome users.

Keith

Indeed , it has only become a noticeable problem in recent years due to the rapid increase of rental hires

But it is a problem

Speak to local people along the NC500 and you would get some useful insight into the recent campervan ' plague '
MountainTrail

Postby KeithS » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:31 pm

MountainTrail wrote:
Speak to local people along the NC500 and you would get some useful insight into the recent campervan ' plague '

I have a foot in both camps. I have a campervan and I live on the NC500 (for about a third of the time)

I am not saying that campervans do not cause some issues. There is much inconsiderate and irresponsible behaviour caused by some campervan/motorhome users, although I do think that much of this is down to the rental vans.

I also feel that the Scottish Tourist Board does have to take much of the responsibility for this. There is plenty of advertising saying 'Come to Scotland, do the NC500, it is beautiful'. This advertising, along with the easy availability of rental vans encourages people to come but the infrastructure is not in place to cope with the increased invited guests. There are not sufficient toilets or other disposal facilities in place.

I do think it would be a good idea for the rental firms to have to charge a 'wild camping fee', for want of a better term. If, for the sake of argument, an extra £70 per week was charged then this could be refunded if proof of using campsites is shown or, if wild camping this money goes into paying for improved infrastructure (not extra for the rental companies).

It would be a bit of a win/win. It encourages people to use campsites or, if not then more money to pay for facilities, and may also keep people away who do not wish to pay the small extra charge.
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Postby CharlesT » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:46 pm

Along with midges, clegs and people who don't know how to drive on single track roads it's another of my reasons for no longer visiting Scotland in the June to September "tourist" season. Not being xenophobic but the sheer volume and size of predominantly Dutch and German motorhomes on the narrow Assynt roads in the summer a while back sealed it for me.

I'm not against them but in large numbers they make other road users lives a misery.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby MountainTrail » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:07 pm

KeithS wrote:
MountainTrail wrote:

I have a foot in both camps. I have a campervan and I live on the NC500 (for about a third of the time)

I am not saying that campervans do not cause some issues. There is much inconsiderate and irresponsible behaviour caused by some campervan/motorhome users, although I do think that much of this is down to the rental vans.

I also feel that the Scottish Tourist Board does have to take much of the responsibility for this. There is plenty of advertising saying 'Come to Scotland, do the NC500, it is beautiful'. This advertising, along with the easy availability of rental vans encourages people to come but the infrastructure is not in place to cope with the increased invited guests. There are not sufficient toilets or other disposal facilities in place.

I do think it would be a good idea for the rental firms to have to charge a 'wild camping fee', for want of a better term. If, for the sake of argument, an extra £70 per week was charged then this could be refunded if proof of using campsites is shown or, if wild camping this money goes into paying for improved infrastructure (not extra for the rental companies).

It would be a bit of a win/win. It encourages people to use campsites or, if not then more money to pay for facilities, and may also keep people away who do not wish to pay the small extra charge.

A good few interesting points there Keith from another perspective

I think it’s a situation that requires some attention

For instance I passed the public car park at the side of Loch Laggan en route to Skye on Friday and the place was like a campsite , must have been 20 odd camper vans holed up for the night and no place for me to stop for a five minute refreshment
On road home from Skye , there was mile after mile of campervanners dawdling along with long queues of cars and motorbikes getting frustrated with the lack of movement and speed
Local communities must feel some annoyance with the situation as most campervanners will stock up in their local Asda before hitting the road , with no return for local shops who rely on tourism
I’m not expecting a witch hunt against campervanners , but merely hoping for things to improve
Cheers
MountainTrail

Postby MountainTrail » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:09 pm

CharlesT wrote:Along with midges, clegs and people who don't know how to drive on single track roads it's another of my reasons for no longer visiting Scotland in the June to September "tourist" season. Not being xenophobic but the sheer volume and size of predominantly Dutch and German motorhomes on the narrow Assynt roads in the summer a while back sealed it for me.

I'm not against them but in large numbers they make other road users lives a misery.

I’ve started driving to the mountains late on a Friday nights and sleeping over , before my Saturday walks.
The thought of travelling at peak time would put me off

It’s helped me overcome the traffic problems with the aforementioned
MountainTrail

Postby Giant Stoneater » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:28 pm

I don't drive but a regular passenger,its not just campervans that are a problem other motorists create problems as well,some don't seem to comprehend what speed limits are with some crawling along at 40mph on 60mph roads etc.
Camperhire companies could make hirers more aware of road protocols,you will get good and bad in every situation,on Skye just now and a campervan overtakes cyclist on bend while going uphill.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby Coop » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:31 pm

Don't ya just love the ones who pull into tesco car park ( or any superstore car park) in Aviemore and take up, not 1 2, or 3 spaces but 4.
I'm away to make up a "You're considerate" badge for the next one I see.
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:52+16
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:55 pm

To be fair, campervans are nowhere near as big an issue as people who simply cannot drive. I was staying down in Oban for a few days and came home to Inverness this afternoon. The guy driving the Jaguar (with four exhaust pipes) at 35mph on the A82 for a good 20 miles was much more of an inconvenience than any campervan or motorhome was. Add to that the hoards of motorbikers who think that overtaking on blind summits and sharp bends isn't a bad idea just because they're going 90mph and you're in for a frustrating drive.

At the end of the day it's not really the cyclists/bikers/motorhomers etc fault. Highland infrastructure is simply dismal and needs immediate and massive investment. I'm not sure what the answer is as I don't exactly want to see a motorway laid over Rannoch Moor but at the moment that seems preferable to the status quo.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:20   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Manwaeadug » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:57 pm

I'm pretty sure there will be good drivers and poor drivers pootering around in campervans, just as there are in cars & bikes (ok, I know you don't drive a bicyce!). I've been stuck behind more than my fair share of inconsiderate drivers (riders) as well.
The one good thing about a campervan is this......It's not a caravan! :lol: :wink:
Manwaeadug
Walker

Munros:1   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   
Walk wish-list

Postby KeithS » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:22 pm

KeithS wrote:I have a foot in both camps. I have a campervan and I live on the NC500 (for about a third of the time)

I should perhaps clarify: I do not live in my campervan on the NC500.
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Postby mynthdd2 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:37 pm

There seems to be some confusion amongst campervanners as to what is what

For example, one English couple told me that they would not pay a local Hebridean hostel trust any money to dispose of their waste 'liquids' as they were in fact 'wild camping'.

Obviously the term 'wild camping' is lost on them as is the concept of community hostels
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby Tringa » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:37 am

The NC500 has not helped and the number using it who had no idea how to drive on single track roads (or I think any interest in the NW of Scotland other than to say, "I've done the NC500) was causing a problem well before covid19.

However, it seems the problem now is even greater numbers and the litter and waste left behind. I think in part it is down to lack of understanding of how remote areas work. Some, appear to think everything that is available in urban centres will be available. They fail to understand that a bit more planning is needed when visiting remote areas when trying to be self contained.

There are some, and these ones get noticed, that places like the Highlands are some sort of play area for their convenience and anything goes (lots of it is miles from anywhere so they can do anything) and it isn't helped by comments such "In Scotland you can go wild camping, you can just make a fire and camp wherever you like" from this video -

Some also seem to think, as mentioned above, that stopping by the road side is wild camping.

More education is needed but it will need to be from a young age, though I don't think anyone should need to be told it isn't acceptable to **** in a lay-by and it is beyond me why anyone would think it os OK to leave rubbish. It is mot difficult to have a few bin bags and if a roadside bin is full take the rubbish to another bin that isn't

Dave
Tringa

Postby Glengavel » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:58 am

Manwaeadug wrote:I'm pretty sure there will be good drivers and poor drivers pootering around in campervans, just as there are in cars & bikes (ok, I know you don't drive a bicyce!). I've been stuck behind more than my fair share of inconsiderate drivers (riders) as well.
The one good thing about a campervan is this......It's not a caravan! :lol: :wink:

:twisted: Hey! At least we don't overnight in lay-bys, passing places and any spare level couple of square metres by the side of the road. Why campervans can get away with this and caravans can't is puzzling, but that's another matter. And if you're being held up by a caravan outfit, rest assured it isn't me, I nip along con brio! :D
Glengavel
Walker

Munros:29   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:29   Islands:19

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion