walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

New covid restrictions

Re: New covid restrictions

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:36 pm

That is slightly different from the previous clarification from mountaineering scot. ramblers etc. which implied that it is fine to travel as far as you like, as long as you start in your own area.

It now reads that as long as you start within 5 miles from your own area there is no limit in how far you go as long as you end up back at your starting point. :?

I'm guessing this was what was meant originally in the guidance but got lost in translation. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Backpacker » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:06 pm

Just been looking at the council boundarys. I’m technically not allowed to climb my nearest munros but allowed to travel to the west and north west west highlands (at least they’re more interesting)
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby Backpacker » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:07 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:That is slightly different from the previous clarification from mountaineering scot. ramblers etc. which implied that it is fine to travel as far as you like, as long as you start in your own area.

It now reads that as long as you start within 5 miles from your own area there is no limit in how far you go as long as you end up back at your starting point. :?

I'm guessing this was what was meant originally in the guidance but got lost in translation. :D

I read that differently as in your allowed to travel 5 miles outside your local authority area for exercise.
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby gman » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:12 pm

Yeah, the law tends to be more precise and less subject to change. Unlike the guidelines and third party interpretations of them :lol:.
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby gman » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:21 pm

Backpacker wrote:I read that differently as in your allowed to travel 5 miles outside your local authority area for exercise.

Your outdoor exercise has to start and end in the same place and that start/end place has to be inside your local govt area or within 5 miles of it. So you can put your bike in the car, drive 5 miles outside your local authority and cycle as far as you want provided you return to the car.

I think they're more worried about people leaving Level 4 areas to do Xmas shopping though.
gman

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:32 pm

gman wrote:
Backpacker wrote:I read that differently as in your allowed to travel 5 miles outside your local authority area for exercise.

Your outdoor exercise has to start and end in the same place and that start/end place has to be inside your local govt area or within 5 miles of it. So you can put your bike in the car, drive 5 miles outside your local authority and cycle as far as you want provided you return to the car.

I think they're more worried about people leaving Level 4 areas to do Xmas shopping though.

Yes that's the way it reads for me also.
I'm not sure how much thought went into it because it also mentions golf in the same context, but the cyclists or walkers going a good distance out of their area are going to have a negligible affect.
Sunset tripper

Postby Coop » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:37 pm

If you live in a level 2 area can you travel to a level one area to walk the hills.
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby gman » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:45 pm

Coop wrote:If you live in a level 2 area can you travel to a level one area to walk the hills.

The law only applies to levels 3 & 4, there is advice for other levels:

If you live in a Level 0, 1, or 2 area in Scotland, or are considering travel to Scotland from anywhere else, you should:

minimise unnecessary journeys between areas in different levels
and avoid any unnecessary travel to places in Level 3 or Level 4 areas
if you have to travel for essential purposes, follow the guidance on travelling safely below

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-guidance-on-travel-and-transport/
gman

Postby Sunset tripper » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:13 am

Coop wrote:If you live in a level 2 area can you travel to a level one area to walk the hills.

See Gmans post above.
If you are in a level 0, 1 or 2 areas, the guidance says you should minimise journeys between areas in different levels.
It's advice and each person will have to make their own decision on what minimising journeys actually means.
For me I don't see driving from tier 2 to 1 to access the hills being an issue but I didn't really see driving to the hills as much of an issue in the initial lockdown easing either.
I will probably avoid the islands until the virus is under control or on the way out, as I think they are pretty much covid free and the way to keep them that way seems to be the New Zealand approach - minimal contact with the outside world and strict quarantine conditions. :shock:
Sunset tripper

Postby Dave Hewitt » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:32 pm

It's useful that the five-miles-beyond thing for exercise does seem to be staying in - it's particularly helpful (and has probably been drafted with this in mind) for people living on the edge of a council area with their nearest quiet bit of country being just across the boundary in another council. It's worth noting however that it says that in a Level 4 area "you should also keep journeys within the area to an absolute minimum". I take that to mean that if I fancied climbing a Munro during the next three weeks, I should go to one of the close-by things in the Stirling area - Stuc a' Chroin from Braeleny is my nearest option - and not scoot off to the far end of what is a very large council area and climb something near Tyndrum or Crianlarich (or even five miles beyond the council edge at that end of things).

I'm also reading it to mean that were I living in the middle of the Stirling council area - say in Callander or Strathyre - then I should take my exercise locally rather than travelling to the western edge of the area for the Tyndrum hills or to the eastern edge for the Ochils. As it is, I'm very close to the eastern edge and the Ochils are my nearest hills. The west edge of Tillicoultry (in Clackmannanshire) is exactly five miles from the Stirling/Clacks boundary, so I'll have plenty of scope to do things from Tilli/Alva/Menstrie these next three weeks (but I wouldn't drive to Dollar).
Dave Hewitt
Mountaineer

Postby jmarkb » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:23 pm

Dave Hewitt wrote:The west edge of Tillicoultry (in Clackmannanshire) is exactly five miles from the Stirling/Clacks boundary

Only by road - in a direct line the nearest point on the boundary is between Blairdenon Hill and Menstrie Moss, so you are good for the whole of Tillicoultry (wahey!).
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Csm8 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:38 pm

Feel blessed to be from and to live in the highlands, for those that are restricted from travelling here you have my sympathy.
Csm8
Munro compleatist

Munros:71   Corbetts:42
Fionas:9   
Islands:13

Postby Dave Hewitt » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:43 pm

jmarkb wrote:
Dave Hewitt wrote:The west edge of Tillicoultry (in Clackmannanshire) is exactly five miles from the Stirling/Clacks boundary

Only by road - in a direct line the nearest point on the boundary is between Blairdenon Hill and Menstrie Moss, so you are good for the whole of Tillicoultry (wahey!).

Indeed - although I think the way it's intended is to mean five miles by some normal transport way of getting there, eg car. Blackford is also almost exactly five miles from the Stirling/P+K boundary via the A9 route (and quite a bit under five miles from the slightly weird northern edge of Stirling on the Sheriffmuir road). I'm not particularly planning to go to Blackford for a walk (although Glen Bee from there is very nice), but I might do whereas I feel I shouldn't drive to say Killin even though it's actually within Stirling Council all the way.

Anyhow, I don't see there's any problem walking along to Maddy Moss or wherever - eg right out to Innerdownie - from a start in Tilli provided, as per the regs, one then walks back to the car.
Dave Hewitt
Mountaineer

Postby jmarkb » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:53 pm

Dave Hewitt wrote:I think the way it's intended is to mean five miles by some normal transport way of getting there, eg car.

Makes a significant difference for Edinburgh folk - can get from Edinburgh all the way along the A702 to West Linton and up to Baddinsgill without ever going more than 5 miles from the boundary, even though it's 14 miles by road from Hillend.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Dave Hewitt » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:21 pm

jmarkb wrote:Makes a significant difference for Edinburgh folk - can get from Edinburgh all the way along the A702 to West Linton and up to Baddinsgill without ever going more than 5 miles from the boundary, even though it's 14 miles by road from Hillend.

Are you in Edinburgh itself, ie Midlothian? At least if so you'll be going down from 3 to 2 (with no "five miles beyond" limit) next Tuesday - although even then the legislation says that people in 0, 1 or 2 areas should, "by law, avoid any unnecessary travel to places in Level 3 or Level 4 areas", so that'll limit you somewhat. Ought to be plenty of scope for Borders outings from midweek, though.
Dave Hewitt
Mountaineer

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion