walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

New covid restrictions

Re: New covid restrictions

Postby rockhopper » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:52 am

Sunset tripper wrote:Is stopping and giving someone a lift actually illegal or is it advice?
According to New measures to drive down infection rate Published: 22 Sep 2020 16:19
Car sharing
: You should only car share with members of your own, or extended, household, and follow guidance when there is no alternative. (Bold&italics added) I guess the latter five words are open to interpretation depending on the situation.

EDIT: was preparing the above note at the same time as ST was posting his preceding note hence some overlap
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby rgf101 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:44 pm

CharlesT wrote: how regulated a pub environment may be in reality is wholly dependent on the pub management and clientele.

I won't be surprised if we see closer management of pubs, with police or covid marshalls popping in to check all is in order.

Going to be a bleak winter, I fear...
rgf101

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:20 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:
At least we never got given the dreaded five mile advice this time, which I got the feeling is what they really wanted to do. :shock:

That's what I was afraid of, too. They still might introduce it the with covid situation doesn't improve :? :?

We went to Torridon last weekend and all car parks, laybys and off road grassy verges were packed to bursting, the road in Glen Torridon had traffic like the A9. It will get even worse now when car sharing is discouraged.

According to www.gov.scot:
"You should try not to share a car with those outside your household or extended household." TRY. In my opinion, TRY is not a ban, it's a recommendation/suggestion. Does that mean that if one gets caught sharing a car with another person not from their household, they will be legally punished for not trying hard enough? :wink:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby gman » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:31 pm

Hopefully hillwalking will be safe, I remember the restrictions were being justified because Mountain Rescue teams would be put at risk but we helped out with a rescue last month and, looking back, there weren't any anti-covid measures used by the team, which included a doctor.
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Dave Hewitt » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:33 pm

Surely the key thing about hitching just now is that either the lift-giver or the lift-taker, even though they might feel fit and healthy, could be Covid-asymptomatic - and goodness knows where that might lead. Hitching isn't exactly a test-and-trace kind of environment - I suspect Professor Leitch would almost self-combust if asked to comment on the concept.

The no-car-sharing thing has been around for ages, pretty much right from the start - eg my regular hill sidekicks have all been driving to places independently since mid-March and I suspect a lot of other pairings and small groups have fragmented in the same way. It's had a big effect on how people do things hillwise - as per the increased number of cars in laybys mentioned upthread. In terms of my own situation, I was twice in July out on Munros with a friend who lives just across Stirling from me - normally we alternate lifts but both times in July we each took a car. One of these outings was to Ben Lawers, quite a long drive, and while it was nice to have company I think we both found it a bit of a faff (and a waste of fuel etc) and we haven't done it again since. Partly because of this I've ended up with a very nonstandard breakdown of hill outings this year. Normally by late September I would have had something like 25 Munro days; this year I've had seven (one of which was in January, pre-lockdown), as I can't be bothered with the logistical hassle even though such outings can now legitimately be done. The flipside is that I've done even more local (and mostly solo) stuff than usual - eg I'm not long back in from my 98th Ochils outing of the year.
Dave Hewitt
Mountaineer

Postby Walkinmyfootsteps » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:43 pm

gman wrote:Hopefully hillwalking will be safe, I remember the restrictions were being justified because Mountain Rescue teams would be put at risk but we helped out with a rescue last month and, looking back, there weren't any anti-covid measures used by the team, which included a doctor.

Hopefully it will continue in that vein. I rarely have a mobile phone signal up the hills and wouldn’t ever contact mountain rescue. Enjoy it while we can I guess is the message. Weekend weather looks promising so off to bag a couple more Munros.
Walkinmyfootsteps
Munro compleatist

Postby Sgurr » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:00 pm

Take a bike?
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:58 pm

Dave Hewitt wrote:Surely the key thing about hitching just now is that either the lift-giver or the lift-taker, even though they might feel fit and healthy, could be Covid-asymptomatic - and goodness knows where that might lead. Hitching isn't exactly a test-and-trace kind of environment - I suspect Professor Leitch would almost self-combust if asked to comment on the concept.

Yes fair point Dave.
To add to that - having travelled on a rail replacement bus recently there was someone sitting in front and behind me, face coverings worn of course. No test and protect being used on public transport in my limited experience.

I used to travel quite a lot by bus in the highlands and though normally not a bad experience I have had to deal with a bus not turning up and a bus not stopping.
This is probably the reason that I would stop for someone thumbing in the current circumstances. Not without risk I know but probably not much more risky than public transport.
If it is only guidance I guess it is down to what the individual thinks is right and on the plus side it seems hitchhikers are going to be few and far between :?
Sunset tripper

Postby Gordymck » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:01 am

The government are being urged not to restrict peoples access to the hills..

https://www.mountaineering.scot/news/access-to-hills-remains-despite-new-covid-restrictions
Gordymck
Scrambler

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Arthurs Eat » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:55 pm

Sgurr wrote:Here is the link to the Scotgov site

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-what-you-can-and-cannot-do/

Beyond belief that it now seems the only way daughter, 4 kids and 2 of us can have Xmas is GO TO A PUB and shout from adjacent tables. That surely can't be safer than having it in one of our houses?

Are any of the sprogs under 12 years old?
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:29
Fionas:17   Donalds:38
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:32   Islands:16

Postby Sgurr » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:05 pm

Arthurs Eat wrote:
Sgurr wrote:Here is the link to the Scotgov site

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-what-you-can-and-cannot-do/

Beyond belief that it now seems the only way daughter, 4 kids and 2 of us can have Xmas is GO TO A PUB and shout from adjacent tables. That surely can't be safer than having it in one of our houses?

Are any of the sprogs under 12 years old?

No, range from 15-27.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:44 pm

Gordymck wrote:The government are being urged not to restrict peoples access to the hills..

https://www.mountaineering.scot/news/access-to-hills-remains-despite-new-covid-restrictions

Mountaineering Scotland appear to be politically naive and what they request or protest against is widely ignored and has had little impact in recent years.
The only reason folk got the 5 mile restriction removed and out on the hills again was due to pressure from the travel and hospitality industry.
The recent Aberdeen case is a fine example - pubs in Aberdeen were seen as being a problem and causing the spread of the corona, so because of that, folk from the city were banned from going solo hillwalking :?
Sunset tripper

Postby MaximusGreatest » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:23 pm

mproudfoot wrote:The only thing I can really see that might impact hillwalkers is a specific callout on car-sharing.

"The last new restriction I want to cover today relates to travelling by car.
We know, again from Test and Protect data, that sharing car journeys presents a significant risk of transmission.
We are therefore advising against car sharing with people outside your own household."

Obviously doesn't affect solo drivers or same-family/household members travelling together, but for those who usually travel with groups or pals, it will result in a mix of people ignoring the advice (as it is currently advice and not law), and also more people travelling to the same spots individually (instead of three people car sharing for that trip up to Glen Coe, it'll be three cars) resulting in even more traffic and tighter parking in the usual hotspots.

Thanks for this!
MaximusGreatest

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:02 pm

Update - asked not to travel to or from the central belt from friday for 16 days.
It will be interesting to see how that is interpreted. :wink:
Sunset tripper

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:08 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:Update - asked not to travel to or from the central belt from friday for 16 days.
It will be interesting to see how that is interpreted. :wink:

Might be the time to visit Glen Etive again!

:lol:
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:21   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion