walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Queueing for summit selfies

Re: Queueing for summit selfies

Postby Manwaeadug » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:38 pm

Backpacker wrote:I mind seeing this on Ben Nevis. I walked by the queue, touched the trig point and walked off, I did get a few glares and words uttered. I’m there to climb a hill, not queue for the perfect selfie

I think I'd do the same.
I like to get a wee pic of me and my dog at the summit (or just the wee fella if no one else is there to take one for me) but I'll be happy to have a few in my collection where we are on the hill but maybe not at the top if it means avoiding stupidly long queues.
Although, I'd maybe queue for Nevis.

I'm more interested in finding a decent spot to sit so we can have something to eat and I can have a brew! :D
Manwaeadug
Walker

Munros:1   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   
Walk wish-list

Postby KeithS » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:08 pm

Sunset Tripper

I was in that queue!! I'm not sure what time you were there but this is me with my son and grandson at about 2.00pm on that day. We had to queue for about 25 mins. Whilst I am not a fan of having to queue for selfies by the cairn, everyone else who was in the queue had worked (or walked) just as hard as we had and had just as much right to take some time on the summit. It was a beautiful day so it wasn't such an ordeal to have to wait. We must have seen you at some stage of the day, either passing on the path if not at the summit itself.

Nearly 40 yrs ago - my first ascent of Ben Nevis :D
20 yrs ago - Elliot's first ascent of Ben Nevis with his dad (me) :D :D
This year - Jim's first ascent of Ben Nevis with his dad (Elliot) and granddad (me) :D :D :D

This was actually my seventh ascent but the first without cloud which does indicate that the notion that the Ben is only clear of cloud one day in seven is probably about right.

Keith and Elliot and Jim
Attachments
IMG_20200809_192223_323.jpg
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Postby WalkWithWallace » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:48 am

Backpacker wrote:I mind seeing this on Ben Nevis. I walked by the queue, touched the trig point and walked off, I did get a few glares and words uttered. I’m there to climb a hill, not queue for the perfect selfie

Someone tried that on Snowdon, and a scuffle broke out because he skipped the queue. :lol:
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:195
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby CharlesT » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:16 am

Why does anyone want to take a selfie at a summit anyway? I know I've been there and I'm not yet senile enough to need a reminder.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby ChrisButch » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:39 am

Manwaeadug wrote:
I'm more interested in finding a decent spot to sit so we can have something to eat and I can have a brew! :D

Exactly so. For me, the focal point at the top of a hill is not the cairn but the sweet lunch spot which is in the lee of the wind, has the best view, and in the case of frequented tops is away from distracting human noise.
ChrisButch

Postby Manwaeadug » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:05 am

CharlesT wrote:Why does anyone want to take a selfie at a summit anyway? I know I've been there and I'm not yet senile enough to need a reminder.

I only want one of my wee dog as a future reminder in years to come of what he was like and the good times we were having. :)
Unfortunately I'm prone to forgetting what I had for lunch yesterday........so a wee reminder might be handy when I actually am old and senile! :lol:
Manwaeadug
Walker

Munros:1   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   
Walk wish-list

Postby KeithS » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:12 am

CharlesT wrote:Why does anyone want to take a selfie at a summit anyway? I know I've been there and I'm not yet senile enough to need a reminder.

I do agree with you in most circumstances. However in this case it was worth queueing to get a picture of three generations on the top, mainly for Jim who is only 6yrs old.
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Postby WalkWithWallace » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:27 am

Folk have been taking self portrait photos at summits for decades, for many this will be their first decent hill walk and it will feel like a great achievement.

I've got a summit pic of myself on all 282 Munros, nice keepsake for the album. 8)
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:195
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby Tinman » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:29 pm

Each to their own.

As a keep sake I have taken a photo of every summit cairn & then used Photobooks to put them into albums along with a short description. I know they are not going to appear on any best sellers list and that many may think they are way OTT but so what, they are for me to look at in future years to bring back many a fond memory. (With that said, it is only after having done so I have noticed how many summits I have reached where there have been absolutely no views whatsoever. That’s Scotland for you).

Regardless of what I do, under the circumstances and being of that age, I fully understand why KeithS would queue to take such a photograph.

al78 wrote:Drop the silly machoism and think for a second as to whether your ego is really worth the risk of a police or hospital visit.

ThInking of the word ego, perhaps one may be considered to be a little egotistical by continuing to refer to themselves as a Munro compleatist when they are clearly not. Just saying.
Tinman
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:111
Wainwrights:134   

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:19 pm

KeithS wrote:Sunset Tripper

I was in that queue!! I'm not sure what time you were there but this is me with my son and grandson at about 2.00pm on that day. We had to queue for about 25 mins. Whilst I am not a fan of having to queue for selfies by the cairn, everyone else who was in the queue had worked (or walked) just as hard as we had and had just as much right to take some time on the summit. It was a beautiful day so it wasn't such an ordeal to have to wait. We must have seen you at some stage of the day, either passing on the path if not at the summit itself.

Nearly 40 yrs ago - my first ascent of Ben Nevis :D
20 yrs ago - Elliot's first ascent of Ben Nevis with his dad (me) :D :D
This year - Jim's first ascent of Ben Nevis with his dad (Elliot) and granddad (me) :D :D :D

This was actually my seventh ascent but the first without cloud which does indicate that the notion that the Ben is only clear of cloud one day in seven is probably about right.

Keith and Elliot and Jim

Aye, fair enough Keith and a crackin picture.

Not 40 years since I was first on the ben, but not that far off it when I think about it :shock:

We didn't bother with the summit trig but found a quiet spot to watch the guys on tower ridge for 10 mins.
We didn't come up or down by the path and were only on it for a short section. The time stamp on the photo says 12.12 pm so probably would have missed you.

All the best :D
Sunset tripper

Postby KatTai » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:40 pm

Manwaeadug wrote:

I only want one of my wee dog as a future reminder in years to come of what he was like and the good times we were having. :)
Unfortunately I'm prone to forgetting what I had for lunch yesterday........so a wee reminder might be handy when I actually am old and senile! :lol:

I'm the same, have lots of summit photos of the dogs, but just a handful with myself in them though I have started getting in the photos more often now but priority is getting the dogs photo. I was lucky on Ben Nevis, I'd set off early so at the summit there was only one other walker there who took a photo of me with my previous dog Millie, it's one of my favourite photos of us together and I've got it printed onto a canvas and hanging on the wall. But when it's busy it's a case of directing the dogs up, getting a few snaps, and away I don't bother trying to get myself in the photo :lol:
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:55   
Islands:32

Postby Booga » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:25 pm

al78 wrote:
Booga wrote:On my first time up Snowdon there was only our party of 4 on the summit, we did arrive there at 2 in the morning though! :lol:

Were you doing the Welsh 3000ers?

I wish I was that fit! :lol:
No it was just a night ascent of Snowdon with a few work mates. Walked up the Pyg Track and down the Miner's Track.

I went up Snowdon to try and see the new year in too a good few years ago. We got to the summit an hour early but the weather was so bad we decided not to hang around (visibility was about 2 metres so we followed the railway tracks as far as the halfway station as it was easier than following the path!), on the way back down we enountered a few groups of people on their way up the Llanberis path who'd had the same idea.
Booga
Ambler

Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:5   Islands:12

Postby al78 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:10 am

Tinman wrote:
CharlesT wrote:ThInking of the word ego, perhaps one may be considered to be a little egotistical by continuing to refer to themselves as a Munro compleatist when they are clearly not. Just saying.

Nothing to do with ego, I don't know how to change it (haven't had a proper look at how to do it).

Perhaps one should establish facts before throwing around accusations at people you known nothing about and have never met.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby jmarkb » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:25 am

al78 wrote:I don't know how to change it (haven't had a proper look at how to do it).

Click on your user name (very top left), choose Account Settings. Click on Profile, go to Activity and choose from the drop down menu.

(Just for information: not condoning the unwarranted attack on you!)
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby CharlesT » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:03 pm

al78 wrote:
Tinman wrote:
CharlesT wrote:ThInking of the word ego, perhaps one may be considered to be a little egotistical by continuing to refer to themselves as a Munro compleatist when they are clearly not. Just saying.

Nothing to do with ego, I don't know how to change it (haven't had a proper look at how to do it).

Perhaps one should establish facts before throwing around accusations at people you known nothing about and have never met.

Just to be clear that quote appears to be attributed to me. It wasn't and I would never say anything like that. Some faulty editing there.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion