walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Rannoch Station

Rannoch Station

Postby flyfifer » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:40 pm

Simple question --- why does it exist ?
I was there today and it occurred to me this evening there was no obvious reason for its existence.

Corrour is clear -- shooting estate (and Trainspotting !).
I cannot find any "Rannoch Station big hoose" history -- anybody know ?
Renton's memorial is there but he only supplied money from afar.
flyfifer

Re: Rannoch Station

Postby NickyRannoch » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:26 pm

Rannoch had a substantial (relatively speaking) population until between the wars and originally railways were more about moving goods than people too so plenty wool and timber going out of there.

There are also plenty of shooting estates there.

I think it's more interesting that Tyndrum has the same number of stations as Dundee.

Lochailort is the real puzzle.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby Skyelines » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:46 pm

It is possible that it had some significance in the operation of the railway as it has/had a signal box, sidings and turntable. Travelling north from Rannoch station to the summit just beyond Corrour is a stiff climb and a steam engine would need to have sufficient coal and water on board.
Skyelines
Wanderer

Postby Wilbur Smith » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:59 am

flyfifer wrote:Simple question --- why does it exist ?
I was there today and it occurred to me this evening there was no obvious reason for its existence.

Corrour is clear -- shooting estate (and Trainspotting !).
I cannot find any "Rannoch Station big hoose" history -- anybody know ?
Renton's memorial is there but he only supplied money from afar.

Because in years gone by certain trading was used in these areas. Therefore transport links were need which were quicker!
Wilbur Smith

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:41 am

NickyRannoch wrote:

Lochailort has a lot of history and is of some importance geographically. The station also has an inn/pub nearby which is a bonus. I've got off the train at Lochailort a couple of times, good for a few hills and some real wild land. :D

A railway station I would call a real puzzle though is Altnabreac, a real remote one. :?
Sunset tripper

Postby Arthurs Eat » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:02 am

Apparently the station was a requirement for permission to run the railway across private land.
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:29
Fionas:17   Donalds:38
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:32   Islands:16

Postby Essan » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:42 am

NickyRannoch wrote:Rannoch had a substantial (relatively speaking) population until between the wars and originally railways were more about moving goods than people too so plenty wool and timber going out of there.

There are also plenty of shooting estates there.

I think it's more interesting that Tyndrum has the same number of stations as Dundee.

There used to be a halt between Glenfinnan and Lochailort as well - built specifically for Estate use.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lech-a-Vuie_Platform_railway_station

In many cases, stations were built as a condition of being allowed to run the line over the Estate. In the case of Lochailort it was also a point of entry for Moidart and Ardnamurchan (albeit via a rough hill track until the new road was built in the 1960s)

Originally the plan had been to run the line to Glenuig and build a fishing port there, instead of Mallaig.

In the case of Rannoch, it was also a passing point for trains and was the only place that was accessible by road for a long stretch across the Moor. It would also have been useful for fishing parties (as well as stalking)

Tyndrum's 2 stations were built on different lines by different railway companies.
Essan

Munros:98   Corbetts:52
Fionas:7   Donalds:2+0
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:24   Islands:5

Postby nigheandonn » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:17 am

Apparently the station was a requirement for permission to run the railway across private land.

Wasn't that Corrour?

Rannoch is the first place for quite a while where there really is some local population on the Bridge of Gaur/Bridge of Ericht side, as well as the track to the Kingshouse - it doesn't seem particularly odd compared to some.
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby nigheandonn » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:33 am

Wikipedia on Altnabreac:

The reason for the station's construction is a mystery. At the time of construction it was 8 miles (13 km) from the nearest settlement and 10 miles (16 km) from the nearest road. The only source of traffic at the station, Lochdhu Lodge, approximately 1.5 miles (2.4 km) to the south, was not built until 1895 and the Altnabreac School was not built until 1930. However, it had a passing loop with a water tank so may have been established for purely operational reasons.
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby flyfifer » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:02 pm

It seems odd that Gortan has screeds of history and Rannoch does not.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorton_railway_station_(Scotland)
flyfifer

Postby flyfifer » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:03 pm

For what it's worth my reading about Rannoch yielded this.
Kinloch Rannoch
For many hundreds of years, this tiny and remote hamlet was home to a few people who lived a poverty-stricken existence. There were no made roads or bridges in the area.
There was however a drove road from Kinloch Rannoch to Loch Tulla.
In the 1700s soldiers barracked on Loch Rannoch spent a large part of their time trying to apprehend bands of Highlanders who stole cattle and had hidden quantities of arms.
The soldiers met with little support from the locals, and the reputation of the “Rannoch thieves” spread far and wide.

Wade's road and bridge building programme of the 1730s improved communication and access to the area.

The Jacobite defeat of 1745 brought about significant changes.
Estates had been seized from the clan chieftains, who had supported the Jacobite cause, following the Battle of Culloden in 1746.

James Small, formerly an Ensign in Lord Loudoun's Regiment, was appointed by the "Commissioners for the Forfeited Estates" to run the Rannoch estates.

Kinloch Rannoch was enlarged and settled, under the direction of James Small.
The population was mainly soldiers discharged from the army but also displaced Highlanders.
Small was supported by a local schoolmaster Dugald Buchanan and his wife.
Small brought in joiners, masons, wheelwrights, cobblers and smiths to teach their trades to the locals.

Dugald Buchanan was a schoolmaster and Gaelic poet and is commemorated by the large monument in the square in Kinloch Rannoch.
Buchanan worked with James Stuart, minister of Killin, on translating Bible passages into Scottish Gaelic.

Rannoch Station
Prior to the railway and the naming of a piece of railway infrastructure Rannoch Station there was no identifiable place that required a name.

There was a drove road about three miles east of where the station is, at Loch Eigheach, which headed past Loch Ossian north west to Spean Bridge.
This is part of the Road to the Isles.

About six miles east, of where the station is, there was also a drove road from Bridge of Gaur running south west to Loch Tulla.

Very near where the station is, on the west side of Loch Laidon, a drove road made its way west past Black Corrie's Lodge to the Kingshouse Hotel in Glencoe.

It is perhaps easier to think of these routes in reverse and their termination near Loch Rannoch with its "road" links east towards Crieff and the great cattle market.
None of the routes passed through the specific place that is now named Rannoch Station.

I have emailed SRPS to see if they can illuminate the reason Rannoch Station exists.
flyfifer

Postby Arthurs Eat » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:12 am

nigheandonn wrote:

Wasn't that Corrour?

Rannoch is the first place for quite a while where there really is some local population on the Bridge of Gaur/Bridge of Ericht side, as well as the track to the Kingshouse - it doesn't seem particularly odd compared to some.

May have been? I picked it up on a tv programme about the railway last week.
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:29
Fionas:17   Donalds:38
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:32   Islands:16

Postby Wilbur Smith » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:41 am

I have emailed SRPS to see if they can illuminate the reason Rannoch Station exists.
flyfifer
Reasons:
1 For the navies over 5000 to build the railway over the moor. A small township there when built.
2 A one line railway needing an holding place for passing trains.
3. Fuel and water supplies for steam trains.
4. Maintenance of one of the most vulnerable part of the whole line.
Over a 130 years ago I think they did have some logic for their desitions.
Wilbur Smith

Postby flyfifer » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:24 pm

Pending an answer from SRPS ---
On the basis that Rannoch Station originally had a Turntable and a Siding I am going to go with the station having been created "simply" for Operational reasons.

In a bad winter it would have given a place to turn a locomotive and send a train back south if the snow up at Corrour was too bad.
flyfifer

Postby mynthdd2 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:03 pm

I once spent a happy 9 hours stranded at Rannoch Station in a snow blizzard ....in the old signal box I recall
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion