walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Beinn a' Chuallaich B847 – No Parking

Re: Beinn a' Chuallaich B847 – No Parking

Postby Gareth Harper » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:09 pm

Yes, there are restrictions on that road, but only from Calvine to Trinafour, which does not include this section.

That’s interesting Paul. Like I said it wasn’t till I parked up that I noticed the sign. Now on returning, I may have driven a mile or so, but not much more, before I started noticing all the other No Parking signs. So maybe somebody has stuck in a wee extra sign.
Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:82
Fionas:26   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:28 am

Looking at the OS and other sources, that section of road doesn't appear to be classed as 'narrow with passing places'.

Can't see any passing places at all on Google streetview photography. So perhaps something fishy going on.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Paul Webster » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:43 am

Yet another update!

The landowner is happy for people to park considerately on the verge.

The passing place sign is new and was erected by Perthshire Council; previously the road was judged as wide enough to not need passing spaces but due to timber extraction, they changed this and marked up existing verge spots as passing places. We're waiting to hear (via Mountaineering Scotland) the council's suggestions on where this leaves hillwalkers wishing to take access.

Though possibly if the landowner is happy and you are on the grass verge and not the road, then you may be outside the remit of what the council can do.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby RocksRock » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:27 am

Hmmm, not holding my breath for sign removal when extraction is over. IMO signs should then be removed; extraction happens once every 30 - 50 years and then we wait while new trees grow to maturity - they don't need the signs during the growing years....... And the prohibion of parking along the Trinafour to Calvine road robs me of a lovely stopping spot that I adore in the evening light............unless the legal eagles on here can tell me that a ten minute "pause in my wheels turinng" does not amount to "parking" if I am with the car?
RocksRock

Munros:4   Corbetts:7
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:26   Islands:8

Postby Gareth Harper » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:01 pm

Thanks Paul.

Will be interesting to see what the council has to say.

I only managed to squeeze my car in where it was as it has decent ground clearance, plus with 4wd I know it will come back out. I could have also got it on the verge just before the lay-by (I checked the verge) but again only because of the type of car it is. There is space for a couple cars here without causing any obstruction but on tarmac in the layby.
Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:82
Fionas:26   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:6   

Postby KevBo » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:47 pm

NickyRannoch wrote:All dozen cars I passed in Invervar on Saturday had a ticket. That will please North Chesthill

Hi there. I'm intending, weather depending, to park in Invervar on Monday to walk the Glen Lyon Munros, were all the cars ticketed parked illegally/badly do you know? I don't know the parking situation up there at all, makes me nervous reading this. And I'm a sensible parker, if I couldn't park legally I'd go and walk somewhere else 😁
KevBo
Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:3

Postby prog99 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:34 am

KevBo wrote:
NickyRannoch wrote:All dozen cars I passed in Invervar on Saturday had a ticket. That will please North Chesthill

Hi there. I'm intending, weather depending, to park in Invervar on Monday to walk the Glen Lyon Munros, were all the cars ticketed parked illegally/badly do you know? I don't know the parking situation up there at all, makes me nervous reading this. And I'm a sensible parker, if I couldn't park legally I'd go and walk somewhere else 😁

Theres an off the road carpark. Cant see it being a problem on a monday but I'd still aim to get there early.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby KevBo » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:07 pm

Thanks for that, yeah was planning a fairly early start. Especially with the clocks going back tomorrow 👍

Cheers!

prog99 wrote:
KevBo wrote:

Theres an off the road carpark. Cant see it being a problem on a monday but I'd still aim to get there early.
KevBo
Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:3

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion