walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Gleouraich and Spidean Mialach

Gleouraich and Spidean Mialach

Postby Orosay » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:51 am

Going to loch Quoich this weekend and puzzling over whether to go clockwise or anti clockwise? Any advice?
Orosay
Mountain Walker

Munros:39   Corbetts:20
Fionas:8   
Sub 2000:5   
Islands:19

Re: Gleouraich and Spidean Mialach

Postby jmarkb » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:03 am

I don't think it makes too much difference - there are good paths for the ascent and descent either way. On some days, wind direction might be worth taking into account, but the forecast suggest that won't be a factor this weekend.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:16 am

Clockwise for me, only because it has the benefit of a fantastic stalkers path that greatly eases the ascent.
Anti clockwise the path is a bit boggy and better to leave until the end of the day.

Its just personal preference though, and some might prefer the poorer path at the start.

All the best. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby jmarkb » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:30 am

Sunset tripper wrote:a fantastic stalkers path that greatly eases the ascent.

You're right, that is a particularly fine path!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Postby CharlesT » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:34 am

Sunset tripper wrote:Clockwise for me, only because it has the benefit of a fantastic stalkers path that greatly eases the ascent.
Anti clockwise the path is a bit boggy and better to leave until the end of the day.

Its just personal preference though, and some might prefer the poorer path at the start.

All the best. :D

Agree, better clockwise. The path that way is good and as I recall the descent is quite long and boggy and would be tedious going upwards.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Scraggygoat » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:09 pm

These two hills are far more shapely and arguably better from the north, with long and rarely frequented ridges descending down into Glen Loyne (offering some low grade scrambling) bounding fine hanging corries as means of ascent. Park at Clunie and take a bike up the old ghost road, dump and drop into the Loyne. The River crossing might benefit from some sandals as its been wet last week. Once you're up on the ridge you get just the same fine views of the Rough Bounds as if you went the standard route, but you have also seen a side to the hills few do. Descent is then via the stalkers path going upto the shoulder of Sron Bruen-Leitire from Alltebiethe, and back along the valley to a glorious cycle descent to the Clunie

Obviously far more effort and a longer day than the 'standard' route.
Scraggygoat

Postby Giant Stoneater » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:52 pm

Scraggygoat wrote:These two hills are far more shapely and arguably better from the north, with long and rarely frequented ridges descending down into Glen Loyne (offering some low grade scrambling) bounding fine hanging corries as means of ascent. Park at Clunie and take a bike up the old ghost road, dump and drop into the Loyne. The River crossing might benefit from some sandals as its been wet last week. Once you're up on the ridge you get just the same fine views of the Rough Bounds as if you went the standard route, but you have also seen a side to the hills few do. Descent is then via the stalkers path going upto the shoulder of Sron Bruen-Leitire from Alltebiethe, and back along the valley to a glorious cycle descent to the Clunie

Obviously far more effort and a longer day than the 'standard' route.

A excellent route that is,i took a tent camped on summit of Gleouraich and next morning used the old stalkers path opposite Sron Bruen-Leitire to do 3 of the South Shiel Ridge back to Cluanie.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby Backpacker » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:34 pm

I'd say anti-clockwise as you have "that view" for most of the descent
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby mrssanta » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:16 pm

Backpacker wrote:I'd say anti-clockwise as you have "that view" for most of the descent

so would I for the same reason, and it is really lovely coming down that stalkers path
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby jmarkb » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:00 am

So 2 votes for clockwise, 2 for anti-clockwise, 1 abstention and 2 votes for a different route altogether! That's what you get when you ask the Internet: hope that helps making your mind up! :wink:
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Postby MancRockChick » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:40 pm

I vote for anti-clockwise too, get the horrid part over & done with then enjoy the rest of the day and the fantastic views on descent.
MancRockChick
Mountain Walker

Munros:46   
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:57   Islands:10

Postby rockhopper » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:59 pm

Another vote for ACW from me - you get this view all the way down

32 - NrthQuoich 24feb2013.JPG
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby CharlesT » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:37 am

Either way you have to walk along the road a piece and when I did them in 2018 there was a sizeable herd of highland coos on the road. Fortunately they had moved on by the time I had to walk along it, though they seemed docile enough, if a bit unwilling to give way to a car. :lol:
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Driftwood » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:38 pm

The cows were there (or at least mooching around the bridge) in early September this year. Still very placid, and just as sure that they had right of way over traffic!
There was a small challenge in spotting the right way up through the rhododendrons (heading anticlockwise; coming down, the path led directly to the parking area), as the metal post concerned was laying on the ground. But no big difficulty, and magnificent views from the ridge and descent. As well as those very interesting looking ridges on the north side, which do look promising for a much longer route.
Driftwood
Mountain Walker

Munros:244   Corbetts:60
Fionas:35   Donalds:27+23
Sub 2000:19   

Postby Orosay » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:46 pm

Well, went clockwise in the end and quite glad really, fantastic views when we needed an excuse for a wee rest and saw one of these for the first time
19840731-1038-48CB-A963-FD6F1EEC657E.jpeg
which was exciting. The descent down the boggy path was not so nice and would have been more tedious on the way up (personal opinion)
Orosay
Mountain Walker

Munros:39   Corbetts:20
Fionas:8   
Sub 2000:5   
Islands:19

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion