walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Corserine and Rhins of Kells

Corserine and Rhins of Kells

Postby Johnnynhl » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:49 am

Hi Folks
Planning to go and do the Corserine and Rhins of Kell walk shortly. The website page shows a road up to a carpark at the start of the walk. Can anyone advise me if I the road is accessible with my short wheelbase Campervan. Any advice appreciated. Thanks Johnny
Johnnynhl
Stravaiging

Munros:9   Corbetts:5
Donalds:3
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Corserine and Rhins of Kells

Postby Manwaeadug » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:14 pm

I can't comment on that specific road, but any I've come across in and around that area would be accessible.

If it's the one close to Burnhead Bridge and Forrest Bridge on the OS map then I'd be very surprised if it wasn't.

Let us know how you get on, I've got that walk pencilled in on my to do list. :)
Manwaeadug
Walker

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Grahams:1   Donalds:2
Walk wish-list

Postby dav2930 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:19 pm

Johnnynhl wrote:Hi Folks
Planning to go and do the Corserine and Rhins of Kell walk shortly. The website page shows a road up to a carpark at the start of the walk. Can anyone advise me if I the road is accessible with my short wheelbase Campervan. Any advice appreciated. Thanks Johnny

Wouldn't have thought there'd be any problems.

Here's a report from 4 years ago that I didn't make public.
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:241   Corbetts:13
Grahams:16   Donalds:45
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby gaffr » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:58 am

Hello... Recall an estate Road passing a 'new technology company's' building and a number of trails labelled with Norwegian names....an estate owner from Norway?
Car park with no problem with access. All neat and tidy on here.
Must confess I got the track wrong to start with....turned off further North onto a tortuous Forestry trail that I quickly rejected.:-)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Grahams:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Johnnynhl » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:34 pm

Thanks for all the positive info folks. Will post back and let you know how I get on.
Johnnynhl
Stravaiging

Postby enjoyrider » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:08 pm

Yes, been down and done corserine and meikle millyea on separate occasions in the last month or so, turn off at sign for forrest lodge and just keep going til you reach the car park, it's tarmac all the way.

Both hills are really well signposted from the car park until out of the forest, and both very quiet, even during October week.

Enjoy.
enjoyrider
Munro compleatist

Postby Johnnynhl » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:13 pm

Well you were spot on, great tarmac road all the way to a well kept and lovely carpark. The weather in the morning was atrocious so I went a run down to Girvan and had a brekkie at David's Cafe just on the south side of Girvan. Then headed to Stranraer and cut back across to Newton Stewart and up past Clatteringshaws Loch to arrive at Forest Lodge from the South. That killed a few hours until the weather perked up then me and my trusty collie set off. Actually, the whole area was very scenic in the Autumn colours and the views were great. Only downside after leaving the forest trails was the walk up the hill, as you might expect after all that rain it was like ascending a fast flowing muddy burn!. Thanks to everyone for their posts will do a proper right up and post pics. PS: I know the weather was bad but I never saw a soul all day, thought it a bit strange, However a cuppa and the solitude in the car park after was a bit Zen like. :)
Johnnynhl
Stravaiging

Postby prog99 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:52 pm

Solitude is one of the southern uplands plus points.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Postby Robertgee » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:04 pm

gaffr wrote:Hello... Recall an estate Road passing a 'new technology company's' building and a number of trails labelled with Norwegian names....an estate owner from Norway?
Car park with no problem with access. All neat and tidy on here.
Must confess I got the track wrong to start with....turned off further North onto a tortuous Forestry trail that I quickly rejected.:-)

Fred Olsen (the cruise company) owns the estate.
Robertgee
Mountaineer

Munros:102   Corbetts:37
Grahams:32   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:133   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:33   Islands:60

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion