walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Solo hikers ?

Solo hikers ?


Postby Greigmartinwalk » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:21 pm

Hi everyone i hope you’s are all keeping well and safe :D
Was just wondering if there was any solo hikers out there who would want to meet up for some Munro’s in the coming months covid depending ?
User avatar
Greigmartinwalk
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 8
Munros:47   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   
Joined: Oct 6, 2016

Re: Solo hikers ?

Postby brother52 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:38 pm

Where are you based? If you are intending to car share then an idea of your location. Also your approximate age and fitness level as you want to team up with someone of similar speed. I am fine going up but currently have knee problems going back down that I am investigating solutions for. I was up Ben Nevis a week ago and suffered terribly on the way down, so I think I might be better to remain solo. That way I am not slowing anyone else down. Every Munro I have done is solo, each to there own, but I prefer that since I can just de stress and go at whatever pace I feel like.
brother52
 
Posts: 44
Munros:74   
Joined: Jun 2, 2016

Re: Solo hikers ?

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:46 pm

My tolerance for idiots is at an all-time low, so I prefer to go solo. It saves getting blood stains on my nice oilskins and sou'wester. Perhaps you should change the title of this post to "Gregarious Hikers". :shock:
User avatar
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging
 
Posts: 7286
Joined: Feb 5, 2009

Re: Solo hikers ?

Postby CharlesT » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:06 am

Caberfeidh wrote:My tolerance for idiots is at an all-time low, so I prefer to go solo. It saves getting blood stains on my nice oilskins and sou'wester. Perhaps you should change the title of this post to "Gregarious Hikers". :shock:

Me too! I can get into enough arguments with myself without having someone else to provoke me. :roll:
User avatar
CharlesT
Mountaineer
 
Posts: 3744
Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:261
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2
Joined: Dec 22, 2011
Location: West Oxfordshire

Re: Solo hikers ?

Postby RocksRock » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:32 am

@Charles T, @Caberfeidh :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: me too! even at the best of times, which these are not!
RocksRock
 
Posts: 233
Munros:4   Corbetts:7
Grahams:9   
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:26   Islands:8
Joined: Sep 6, 2012

Re: Solo hikers ?

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:40 pm

CharlesT wrote:
Caberfeidh wrote:My tolerance for idiots is at an all-time low, so I prefer to go solo. It saves getting blood stains on my nice oilskins and sou'wester. Perhaps you should change the title of this post to "Gregarious Hikers". :shock:

Me too! I can get into enough arguments with myself without having someone else to provoke me. :roll:


I am currently in quarantine, stuck in a hotel room in Kuala Lumpur, all by myself, listening to my internal monologue incessantly, for two weeks! :shock: :shock: :shock:
User avatar
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging
 
Posts: 7286
Joined: Feb 5, 2009

Re: Solo hikers ?

Postby Walkinmyfootsteps » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:05 pm

I always think ‘what if’ when hiking solo but I do tend to do most of my Munros solo albeit with a four legged companion.
The more remote ones I certainly would be thinking of teaming up with other fellow solo hikers if I can’t persuade any of my mates to join me.
It cuts down the risk factor. None of those planned for the winter but next year....
Walkinmyfootsteps
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Jul 5, 2014

Re: Solo hikers ?

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:41 am

Walkinmyfootsteps wrote:It cuts down the risk factor.


I disagree. I find that teaming up with others increases the stupidity factor, we end up deferring to the least informed, least experienced and the most lacking in knowledge or experience, and thus end up having a hard time of it. I would rather go at my own pace, I know my own abilities and limitations, and I will not be led astray by mongs insisting that they know better. :shock:
User avatar
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging
 
Posts: 7286
Joined: Feb 5, 2009

Re: Solo hikers ?

Postby Border Reiver » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:36 am

Caberfeidh wrote:
Walkinmyfootsteps wrote:It cuts down the risk factor.


I disagree. I find that teaming up with others increases the stupidity factor, we end up deferring to the least informed, least experienced and the most lacking in knowledge or experience, and thus end up having a hard time of it. I would rather go at my own pace, I know my own abilities and limitations, and I will not be led astray by mongs insisting that they know better. :shock:

Totally agree. I've walked in groups before and haven't been happy with self-appointed "leaders" telling me to go this way. go that way, pick up the pace etc. I've done 90% of my walks solo, making my own decisions on safety, navigation and even when to quit, and that's how I like it.
User avatar
Border Reiver
Wanderer
 
Posts: 1424
Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Grahams:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:61
Wainwrights:68   Islands:31
Joined: Feb 18, 2011
Location: North East England

Re: Solo hikers ?

Postby CharlesT » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:21 am

Caberfeidh wrote:
Walkinmyfootsteps wrote:It cuts down the risk factor.


I disagree. I find that teaming up with others increases the stupidity factor, we end up deferring to the least informed, least experienced and the most lacking in knowledge or experience, and thus end up having a hard time of it. I would rather go at my own pace, I know my own abilities and limitations, and I will not be led astray by mongs insisting that they know better. :shock:

Yet again, you've hit the nail firmly on the head. I know my strengths and weaknesses and can act accordingly. I have no desire to exercise them in the often implicitly critical presence of others, more so as it appears to me it is often those least qualified to do so who wish to proffer advice. I'll go my own way and accept the consequences.
User avatar
CharlesT
Mountaineer
 
Posts: 3744
Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:261
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2
Joined: Dec 22, 2011
Location: West Oxfordshire

Re: Solo hikers ?

Postby al78 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:45 pm

The advantage of hiking/backpacking alone is that if the weather takes a turn for the worst, I can easily choose to retreat, rather than risk getting into an argument with others who want to carry on regardless.
User avatar
al78
Walker
 
Posts: 732
Munros:28   Corbetts:8
Donalds:1
Joined: Feb 1, 2018

Re: Solo hikers ?

Postby Marty_JG » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:09 pm

Look to the positives, to the best-of-both-worlds. Hike IN with a group, kill them all, loot their corpses, solo-hike out.

That way you'll have had everything needed for an enjoyable day out in the countryside: company, solitude, homicide.
User avatar
Marty_JG
Backpacker
 
Posts: 916
Munros:8   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3
Joined: Sep 12, 2016
Location: Glasgow

Re: Solo hikers ?

Postby CharlesT » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:37 pm

Marty_JG wrote:Look to the positives, to the best-of-both-worlds. Hike IN with a group, kill them all, loot their corpses, solo-hike out.

That way you'll have had everything needed for an enjoyable day out in the countryside: company, solitude, homicide.

You should team up with Caberfeidh, he with the bone saw and a Skye man's lust for barbarity. :shock:
User avatar
CharlesT
Mountaineer
 
Posts: 3744
Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:261
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2
Joined: Dec 22, 2011
Location: West Oxfordshire

Re: Solo hikers ?

Postby Glengavel » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:51 pm

Marty_JG wrote:Look to the positives, to the best-of-both-worlds. Hike IN with a group, kill them all, loot their corpses, solo-hike out.

That way you'll have had everything needed for an enjoyable day out in the countryside: company, solitude, homicide.


When out walking with Lady G we often have a running joke of commenting on other walkers being murderers or serial killers. Maybe it's not such a joke after all :shock:
User avatar
Glengavel
Walker
 
Posts: 320
Munros:22   Corbetts:5
Grahams:2   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:23   Islands:18
Joined: Aug 29, 2010
Location: Fifeshire

Re: Solo hikers ?

Postby DavidShepherd » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:14 pm

Greigmartinwalk wrote:Hi everyone i hope you’s are all keeping well and safe :D
Was just wondering if there was any solo hikers out there who would want to meet up for some Munro’s in the coming months covid depending ?


Bet you're glad you started this thread...
DavidShepherd
Mountaineer
 
Posts: 162
Munros:131   Corbetts:5
Grahams:1   Donalds:2
Joined: Apr 17, 2014

Next



Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?



Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: malky_c, simon-b and 29 guests