walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Walking Decisions.

Walking Decisions.

Postby sc00ba87 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:30 am

Good Morning & Happy Friday Walk Highlanders :D

I plan on climbing the Loch Lochy Munros tomorrow. Some may call me nosey, others may call me curious, but, are you climbing this weekend? If so, where are you planning to climb? How/Why did you choose there?

I'm interested to query how you guys plan your trips in advance?

My current method of "planning" is a simple one. I look at the interactive map on here, look at some red blips and pick one, keep an eye on the forecast and then go. I usually have an alternative in case of any unforeseen circumstances (road closures, flooding, forgotten equipment etc). It is simple but has worked reasonably well so far.

It's led to me not seeing a thing on my 2 trips up Nevis, seeing nothing from Ben Vorlich & Stuc a' Chroin and, by the looks of it, not seeing too much this weekend though.

How do you more experienced guys forward plan to get the most from your experience, if you don't mind my asking?

I enjoy just being out there, had a great time on the CMD Arete a fortnight ago despite the poor visibility, but I'm wondering whether there is more to consider to enhance the experience for myself & friends.

Is it just pot luck, especially at this time of year?

Many Thanks to all that respond in advance, any and all response is greatly appreciated.
sc00ba87
Hill Bagger

Munros:33   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:6   
Walk wish-list

Re: Walking Decisions.

Postby Coutts94 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:03 pm

I also asked a similar question a few months back, the answer was pretty much different for everyone :lol:
Some people do it by height, by weather, by area, closest - furthest etc.. or totally random!

I get really indecisive - weather chasing, easy/hard days, and also grouping areas!

I am generally trying to go to ones with decent weather, but have made the mistake of doing loads of close ones first. If I was to restart then I would maybe mix it up with the furthest away and the closer ones on bad/worse weather days!

Currently planning a day out to Seana Bhraigh to complete the Ullapool area for me. Waiting for a day off with half decent weather before we get hit with a large dump of snow!

Do whatever suits you :D
Coutts94
Mountain Walker

Munros:244   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   

Postby mproudfoot » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:57 pm

Weather chasing for sure - for example, for this weekend I have my three target munros added to my Met Office forecast app (Beinn Sguliard to the West, Grey Corries up in the Central Highlands, and Tolmount Tom Buidhe to the East, and I would go to whichever looks clearest. Currently it looks a bit naff all over (if it's not precip, it's very high winds on the tops) and where I may once have braved the elements to get a tick, these days I'm not up for the misery of a wet windy day on the hills if I can avoid it.
mproudfoot
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:201
Fionas:22   Donalds:28+11
Islands:10

Postby sc00ba87 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:06 pm

Coutts94 wrote:I also asked a similar question a few months back, the answer was pretty much different for everyone :lol:
Some people do it by height, by weather, by area, closest - furthest etc.. or totally random!

I get really indecisive - weather chasing, easy/hard days, and also grouping areas!

I am generally trying to go to ones with decent weather, but have made the mistake of doing loads of close ones first. If I was to restart then I would maybe mix it up with the furthest away and the closer ones on bad/worse weather days!

Currently planning a day out to Seana Bhraigh to complete the Ullapool area for me. Waiting for a day off with half decent weather before we get hit with a large dump of snow!

Do whatever suits you :D

My problem is I don't know what suits me :lol:

I think I have been not too bad mixing further afield with closer to home, I am near Glasgow and have been in Taynuilt, Fort William & Glen Tanar on my last 3 having cleared the (local) Arrochar Alps beforehand.

I'm certainly more aware of daylight hours than I've ever been and have tried to time at least being in the car park at the starting point come sunrise and, more-so, sundown. This is about the only consideration I have taken until now.

A couple friends were very keen on joining me in the search for compleation but seem somewhat perturbed by walking through thick cloud and not seeing anything, 1 or 2 put off completely. Due to this I was curious if there was anything, other than weather forecast, I was overlooking to make a more enjoyable experience.

For me, personally, I enjoy just being out there and slowly seeing all these little red balloons slowly turn blue on my Interactive Munro Map. It's a bonus when it's a clear day as the views are usually incredible. I enjoy the slog in the elements as well though, it's a different kind of challenge
sc00ba87
Hill Bagger

Walk wish-list

Postby sc00ba87 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:27 pm

mproudfoot wrote:Weather chasing for sure - for example, for this weekend I have my three target munros added to my Met Office forecast app (Beinn Sguliard to the West, Grey Corries up in the Central Highlands, and Tolmount Tom Buidhe to the East, and I would go to whichever looks clearest. Currently it looks a bit naff all over (if it's not precip, it's very high winds on the tops) and where I may once have braved the elements to get a tick, these days I'm not up for the misery of a wet windy day on the hills if I can avoid it.

This makes sense. Any alternatives I have are usually in the same sort of area as it means time-wise I wouldn't be far from my original estimate. How accurate is the forecast on the app you use? I usually check in with mwis but that isn't summit specific and is only a 3 day forecast, this is certainly food for thought.

I don't mind a bit of wind & rain myself. I've been working outside my entire working life so like to think I'm somewhat acclimatised to our ever changing climate, whereas some of the others I'm trying to consider haven't ever :lol:

Maybe I'm trying too hard to consider others, as, on the one occasion I proposed 2 or 3 different routes the response largely was "you decide, we'll just go where you're going" :roll: :lol:
sc00ba87
Hill Bagger

Walk wish-list

Postby prog99 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:46 pm

mproudfoot wrote:Weather chasing for sure - for example, for this weekend I have my three target munros added to my Met Office forecast app (Beinn Sguliard to the West, Grey Corries up in the Central Highlands, and Tolmount Tom Buidhe to the East, and I would go to whichever looks clearest. Currently it looks a bit naff all over (if it's not precip, it's very high winds on the tops) and where I may once have braved the elements to get a tick, these days I'm not up for the misery of a wet windy day on the hills if I can avoid it.

Tolmount and Tom Bhuidhe at least have at least 3 obvious access points(Glen Isla being particularly scenic). Watch out for the nav, bit featureless there and jocks road isn’t as distinct as you would imagine.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Gareth Harper » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:29 pm

Do bear in mind the current travel advice. It is not mandatory at this time, but I think those of us in the central belt need to consider the advice carefully before travelling to the hills.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-what-you-can-and-cannot-do/pages/getting-around/

As for the weather this weekend. It looks pretty grim, be prepared for gale force winds and severe wind chill. Also remember the forecast is just that, it is a forecast, be prepared for conditions to be worse than forecast. Cloud may be down all day, so you need to be confident of your navigation.

Me, I’ll have a lie in and a lazy day.
Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:83
Fionas:26   Donalds:50

Postby Arthurs Eat » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:28 pm

I am trying to visit areas I have not visited before. This means the lower hills. I have to say I have never felt I am missing out on the higher tops by doing lower hills. Today I was in the Ochils for only the second time. They are magnificent. I’m hankering after the Borders hills just now. I try and work out how much time I need and often refer to the WH walks for the area and see what fits best. Weather and other considerations are also taken into account.
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:29
Fionas:17   Donalds:38
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:32   Islands:16

Postby Gordie12 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:31 pm

It's always the weather for me.

I don't want to drive for 3 hours then do a long climb to get no views so I'm happy to follow the weather and have no issues with just staying local and doing repeats if that's where the blue sky and sunshine is to be found.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion