walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

ridge walking carrying camping gear

ridge walking carrying camping gear

Postby al78 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:33 pm

If the COVID restrictions have eased next summer to allow me to go to Scotland (which I missed this year), I am thinking of exploring the Knoydart peninsula, aiming to walk in from Glenfinnan eventually reaching either Inverie or Barrisdale (or both). My plan would be to climb some of the Munros en-route, for example gain the ridge above Glen Dessary and walk along it finishing at Sgur Na Ciche and descending to Loch Nevis, from there it is not far to Meall Buidhe and Beinn Bhuidhe. Given the terrain around here is rough, is it feasible to ridge walk over the summits whilst carrying all my gear in a 65L backpack, does getting to the Knoydart summits require significant scrambling where a backpack with a moderate weight will likely hinder movement?
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Re: ridge walking carrying camping gear

Postby LobeyD » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:09 pm

There's one small step on the eastern side of Ladhar Bheinn that gave me a moment's pause on a wet day. A step onto a narrow off-camber shelf just high enough to be a nuisance. A slippery shuffle along the ledge to a point I could clamber up to regain the path. Not a major problem and likely much easier in the dry. Apart from that it is all fine.

I did this in reverse with a couple of base camps instead of lugging gear. I camped in the glen south of LB and did the Corbett to the west in the evening. Next day a big loop up onto the Corbett south of LB and along the ridges. A great day that. I then moved the camp to the glen between Meall and Beinn Bhuide to do the eastern hills. Then hiked out to Glenfinnan.
LobeyD

Munros:254   Corbetts:94
Fionas:38   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:1   

Postby jmarkb » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:32 pm

The hills are rough in the sense that there are lots of small rocky outcrops, and off-path routes need careful route-finding/planning, but there is very little in the way of technical scrambling or exposure.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:50 pm

As above, in that area fitness, and moving easily with a heavy load, are more important than scrambling ability with the pack. If you're in good shape, and conditions aren't too appalling :wink: , you should have no "technical" difficulties. There are some damned steep and rough bits though, if you're linking some of the hill groups together!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Giant Stoneater » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:15 pm

al78 This is my trip over the hills though i only camped one night,but stayed in 2 bothies at the time.
I found the terrain ok and not a problem with a big pack, but that was in October a few years back.

http://www.scottishhills.com/html/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=14431
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby Scraggygoat » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:41 pm

It's very commonly backpacked. Once at height the ground is good walking, albeit with up down and around the little outcrops that make Knoydart so special. I'd go through to Glen Kingie and then up and along taking in Sgurr Mor. The corbets are a bit tougher. If you are based away from hills and not a regular, working on your fitness will be key to enjoyment.

Having done that ridge traverse several times, it's back on my winter list, as I still hanker to experience it under perfect neve.
Scraggygoat

Postby al78 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:02 pm

Thanks for the info. I was thinking of doing the glen Kingie munros maybe using the bothy at Kinbreack as an overnight stopover. Either that or camp in the glen between Gairich and Sgurr an Fhuarain. When (if) the time comes it is going to demend on whether or not I nail a spell of settled weather. As far as fitness goes, I am working on increasing my overall strength in the gym, and in the new year will start doing local walks with double figure mileage.
al78
Walker

Postby mrssanta » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:14 pm

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54314
this is the trip report of the first of five days when we did something like what you describe, starting at the East end of Loch Quoich and finishing at Kinlochhourn via all the Munros in between which might help you.
I'd do Ladhar Bheinn clockwise as there is a slightly scrambly bit which I would not like to come down with a full backpack.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby rockhopper » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:58 pm

FWIW, I covered the three Knoydart munros in one trip with one overnight camp and the three Knoydart corbetts in a second trip with two overnight camps. Carried camping pack all round both trips and the three nights were all high camps. From memory, I think the only tricky bit was just south of Stob a'Chearcaill when going up Ladhar Bhein from the east.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby al78 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:48 am

rockhopper wrote:FWIW, I covered the three Knoydart munros in one trip with one overnight camp and the three Knoydart corbetts in a second trip with two overnight camps. Carried camping pack all round both trips and the three nights were all high camps. From memory, I think the only tricky bit was just south of Stob a'Chearcaill when going up Ladhar Bhein from the east.

Thanks. I was considering camping at Barrisdale and climbing Ladhar Bheinn via Druim a Choire Odhair which is what Cameron McNeish recommends, although the routes he recommends tend to be the serious ones.
al78
Walker

Postby Scraggygoat » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:21 pm

'Thanks. I was considering camping at Barrisdale and climbing Ladhar Bheinn via Druim a Choire Odhair which is what Cameron McNeish recommends, although the routes he recommends tend to be the serious ones.'

CM's routes are commonly the most straightforward and logical to 'bag' a particular group or set of hills, often the routes that were well known, used and previously detailed in the SMC's regional guides, rarely are they serious (CM was always more a walker, than a scrambler / climber/ mountaineer), and he generally doesn't seek out scrambling or complex terrain in his guides. They tend to only be included when there are no alternatives. Commonly big hill groups are split, as to be achievable by many e.g. the mamores which can be done in a day, are several different outings. As a result of his promotion tens of thousands of feet pass along many of them each year, certainly hundreds for the knoydart hills. For some hills they are definitely not the most interesting routes..........but that's another discussion. I think you are in danger of psyching yourself out, scottish hills need a bit of care and respect, but they are not malevolent monsters.

In order to help given that you appear apprehensive about CM routes (you shouldn't be), and might be tempted to look for alternatives:

Druim a Choire Odhair - is a good way up and down the hill, with fine views (particularly in descent) but is not serious (in reasonable weather), some minor exposure and very occasional use of hands required.
Creag Bheithe to the direct scramble ascent of Stob a Chearcaill - involves a loose chimney entrance and exposed steep scrambling above which becomes slippy in the wet, on which there have been fatalities, given your previously stated concerns viz scrambling, it may not be an appropriate alternative.
Stob a Chearcaill - can also be reached via steep but relatively straightforward slopes from Mam Barrisdale a bit Sw of the summit.
Scraggygoat

Postby al78 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:38 pm

Scraggygoat wrote:I think you are in danger of psyching yourself out, scottish hills need a bit of care and respect, but they are not malevolent monsters.

In order to help given that you appear apprehensive about CM routes (you shouldn't be), and might be tempted to look for alternatives:

I'm wary that CM raves about routes like the Aonach Eagach or An Teallach, which initially lulls me into a false sense of security. I know now that these are serious undertakings not to be done on my own. One of his routes in my Munro's book written by him does all the Glen Ey munros, all five of them, which is 40 km, 2000 m ascent, and 10-16 hours time. 16 km of that is cycling up and down the glen, but that is a route I would not want to try and do in one day, I'd do it over two days with an overnight camp. Hence when he recommends a route in his book, I'm not sure whether or not he is giving the full picture.

I am risk averse in general about hiking up hills, since I am aware of my lack of scrambling experience, and I always hike alone, so if I have an accident, it is potentially game over, and you only get one life. Knoydart has been on my list of places to explore for many years but I want to have some confidence that I am up to getting to at least some of the summits without taking stupid risks. I have the 1:50000 OS landranger map of Knoydart and the whole area is covered with crags (hence its name, the rough bounds), Those crags might offer spectacular scrambling for those who know what they are doing, but could be barriers to me making it to a summit, and it is a shame to get 90% of the way only to turn round because you don't feel up to getting past the mini cliff facing you. It's not like climbing Tryfan's north route which hundreds of people manage, and the tower near the end you can visually see there are tons of places to put your hands and feet and it is easy to find a way up.
al78
Walker

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:03 am

I've only walked the outer bounds (ie the ridge above Glen Dessary) but I did it with a(n excessively) large pack, and it was OK. Even had some pretty challenging (though unnecessary!) scrambling on Sgurr na Ciche, and am alive to tell the tale!

You would probably get a good enough idea of the terrain from my and other reports...
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=80770
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby al78 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:31 pm

Thanks, that's very useful. It doesn't look as craggy as I'd imagined, certainly no worse than I done before. I can but hope I get the spectacular weather you experienced.
al78
Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion