walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Confession Time

Confession Time

Postby aniolare » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:20 pm

Having got lost on the road this morning, I have just discovered that I climbed the wrong Meall Buidhe...

It didn't seem difficult to find, park at the bottom of the bloody massive dam in Glen Lyon. When I got there the weather was good so I just eyeballed it without looking at my map much, though I did think that it didn't seem quite how I'd remembered it from looking at it last night.

It was a complete coincidence that there happens to be a Meall Buidhe in roughly the same place on the northern shore of Loch an Daimh AND Loch Lyon, next to a big dam. So when I parked in front of a dam in Glen Lyon without really giving it much thought, I did manage to climb one of the Meall Buidhe(s).

On the plus side, I had a great day, Meall Buide (the Corbett) is a fun hill to climb, and Glen Lyon is beautiful. So at least I have an excuse to come back and hopefully do the right one next time.

Also I got some really nice pictures which I thought I'd share with you.

Morning_Hike.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

^^What I did wrong
IMG_20201103_114350.jpg

IMG_20201103_125504.jpg

IMG_20201103_125828.jpg

IMG_20201103_115007.jpg

Am I the only person stupid enough to do this?
aniolare
Stravaiging

Munros:57   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:2
Islands:23

Re: Confession Time

Postby rockhopper » Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:08 am

Very honest of you - that was quite a confession 8) The corbett might actually have proved harder than the munro - the munro is only 25m higher but the start is about 100m higher than for the corbett although the latter is often walked along with the neighbouring corbett, Sron a' Choire Chnapanich.
Anyway, corbetts are often more interesting than munros :think: :shh: :wink: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby prog99 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:41 am

Yes, that corbett is tougher than its namesake to the north(especially when combined with the other corbett & munro)

The normal start is easily identifiable by the large map and info board provided by the estate!
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby WalkWithWallace » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:51 am

I made a very similar mistake in the early days of my Munro bagging career, again like you missed the right-hand turn off to Loch an Daimh, parked up and started to head up Beinn Sheasgarnaich thinking I was on the slopes of Stuc an Lochain. :shock: :lol:
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:193
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby jmarkb » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:45 am

Don't worry, I know at least one person who has done the same thing!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:42 pm

That's nothing - I have never been near a mountain in my entire life, nor the sea for that matter. I am in fact a fifty-stone Fijiian woman. :shock:
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby al78 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:56 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:That's nothing - I have never been near a mountain in my entire life, nor the sea for that matter. I am in fact a fifty-stone Fijiian woman. :shock:

If you have never been near a mountain or the sea in your life you can't be from Fiji.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby mynthdd2 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:28 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:That's nothing - I have never been near a mountain in my entire life, nor the sea for that matter. I am in fact a fifty-stone Fijiian woman. :shock:

You live in Fiji and have never been near the sea? :D
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby mynthdd2 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:28 pm

snap
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby rockhopper » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:53 pm

mynthdd2 wrote:You live in Fiji and have never been near the sea? :D

al78 wrote:If you have never been near a mountain or the sea in your life you can't be from Fiji.

:lol: :lol: From a pedant's point of view, CB didn't purport actually to be living in Fiji. So, first question is does one have to live in and/or have been born in Fiji to be Fijian ?

More importantly perhaps is that CB did not claim to be a Fijian but instead to be a Fijiian (with three "i"s), ie not from Fiji but some other place called Fijii :wink: :wink: :wink:
rockhopper

Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby kaye.cantlay » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:53 pm

I also drove to the same wrong dam when I tried to walk those Munros....fortunately I realised my mistake before starting walking and drove to the correct start point.
But I have once managed to climb the wrong hill in terrible weather and ended up extremely confused and lost....but that's another story.
kaye.cantlay
Walker

Fionas:158   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:31   Hewitts:205
Wainwrights:214   Islands:60

Postby LobeyD » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:44 pm

rockhopper wrote:
mynthdd2 wrote:You live in Fiji and have never been near the sea? :D

al78 wrote:If you have never been near a mountain or the sea in your life you can't be from Fiji.

:lol: :lol: From a pedant's point of view, CB didn't purport actually to be living in Fiji. So, first question is does one have to live in and/or have been born in Fiji to be Fijian ?

More importantly perhaps is that CB did not claim to be a Fijian but instead to be a Fijiian (with three "i"s), ie not from Fiji but some other place called Fijii :wink: :wink: :wink:

Or perhaps he was merely using the now widely acknowledged (if not necessarily accepted :wink:) Scottish definition of 'near'........5 miles.
LobeyD

Munros:254   Corbetts:94
Fionas:38   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:01 am

It's not something I do normally honest, but I googled fijian women and this was the results :shock: :shock: :shock:

20201104_235629.jpg
Sunset tripper

Postby aniolare » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:30 am

Thanks people :) You're making me feel less bad about my screw-up! Glad to know I'm not the only one who has done this.

I was a little shaken because I thought of myself as a relatively experienced hillwalker and I couldn't believe that I'd made such a dumb mistake and this should have been a very simple trip. I never expected that I'd ever park at the wrong hill, get up and down then only discover my mistake later on.

Maybe someone should insert something in the guide for Meall Buidhe saying "Make sure you park at the right dam!!!" :)
aniolare
Stravaiging

Munros:57   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:2
Islands:23

Postby CharlesT » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:33 am

aniolare wrote:Thanks people :) You're making me feel less bad about my screw-up! Glad to know I'm not the only one who has done this.

I was a little shaken because I thought of myself as a relatively experienced hillwalker and I couldn't believe that I'd made such a dumb mistake and this should have been a very simple trip. I never expected that I'd ever park at the wrong hill, get up and down then only discover my mistake later on.

Maybe someone should insert something in the guide for Meall Buidhe saying "Make sure you park at the right dam!!!" :)

Look on the bright side. You've now climbed Meall Buidhe the Corbett which you might never have done otherwise and can go back and climb the Munro safe in the knowledge that you have the right hill this time. You can do Stuchd an Lochain on the same trip, and have lunch in between. :D
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion