walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Gaick pass and Leathad an Taobhain

Gaick pass and Leathad an Taobhain

Postby al78 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:36 am

I had a thought (dangerous) next year of getting the sleeper to Blair Atholl, cycling up the Gaick pass, staying overnight somewhere near Kincraig, then cycling down glen Feshie and carrying on to Leathad an Taobhain, continuing SW from the summit to pick up the Minigaig, and using this to get back to Blair Atholl. Assuming my fitness is up to it, this sounds like a good way to explore some very remote country in a weekend. How difficult is it to cycle through the Gaick from a technical perspective, given I am not experienced at mountain biking? Also, can you cycle to almost the summit of Leathad An Taobhain, the OS map shows a track that gets very close. I know I'll have to walk the bike in some sections.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Re: Gaick pass and Leathad an Taobhain

Postby prog99 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:11 pm

You can get close to the summit of Leathad an Taobhain from the north (the obvious termination of the vehicle track). It’s a pretty relentless grind up from Glen Feshie but a bit of a blast backdown.

Not cycled all the way through the Gaick but know it’s perfectly possible,
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby gaffr » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:22 pm

I have been through both of these on the off-road bike.
For your planned trip the use of the Cycle track from Blair Atholl to Dalnacardoch to get onto the Gaick pass trail.
When I went to the Mini-gaig on a round trip into Tilt, Geldie and back into Feshie I ignored the start of the Minigaig because I knew that it was kind-of wrecked at least for me biking up that.
My approach to Minigaig was Feshie up to the Sluic lochan and then up on the estate track to the end where there is ruined building and then pushed the bike up to the .912 summit.....easy ride to connect with the Mini-gaig down to Bruar and Allt Scheicheachan Bothy....connect to the Tilt etc....or Blair Atholl.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby WallaceJohnston » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:28 pm

A couple of years ago I walked in towards Leathad an Taobhain from the north expecting to follow the Minigaig track and was unpleasantly surprised to find it very overgrown and difficult to follow. I don't think it's used very much. I certainly wouldn't like to try to take a bike that way!
WallaceJohnston
Munro compleatist

Munros:200   Corbetts:191
Donalds:4

Postby al78 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:50 pm

WallaceJohnston wrote:A couple of years ago I walked in towards Leathad an Taobhain from the north expecting to follow the Minigaig track and was unpleasantly surprised to find it very overgrown and difficult to follow. I don't think it's used very much. I certainly wouldn't like to try to take a bike that way!

I've walked the Minigaig from south to north and can confirm that much beyond the summit of the pass you are effectively blazing a trail across heather, clumps of grass and patchy bog, there was no visible path until shortly before glen Tromie. I wasn't thinking of cycling that section of the Minigaig, I was thinking of joining it from the summit of Leathad an Taobhain and heading south, from memory that section is mostly ridable, the steep descent to glen Bruar would likely require walking or carrying the bike.
al78
Walker

Postby Wandererssolo » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:03 pm

Some years ago I cycled (with a group of friends) the minigaig excluding the push up the steep path to the higher level. Near where it joins Tromie we cycled and pushed over heather and a relatively firm surface towards a shooting track above feshie. We stayed at the independent hostel there then cycled back via the Gaick then done the cycle track/road to Blair Atholl.

The minigaig was cycleable in large parts but in places was boggy. I suspect that the increased use of bikes off road might have changed the path in a negative way but it wasn’t any more difficult than many of the cycle tracks at that time around the Campsies area - just more isolated.

The Gaick was Landrover track except for the short stretch along the Loch near the top but that too was eminently cycleable if you were confident on muddy and lumpy single track. Storers book on Drove Roads was our bible at that time and there’s a picture of a stream crossing in the book that’s worth paying attention to. I have crossed that river with the water as shown in the book but I had to rescue a mate who got himself stuck in waste deep, fast flowing water when he tried to cross when he should have turned back. Conditions are everything on these rides.
Wandererssolo
Hill Bagger

Munros:9   
Fionas:1   

Postby WalkWithWallace » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:45 pm

Not the Gaick Pass, but we cycled from Blair Atholl earlier this year and dumped our bikes by the Bruar shooting Lodge to do the two remote Corbetts. The video might give you an idea of what to expect as you use the Minigaig to return back to our bikes.

WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:193
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby al78 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:10 am

Thanks for the info, it has given me the confidence that despite my lack of mountain biking skill I will be able to cycle most of the way up the Gaick, likely pushing the bike on the narrow single track alongside the loch, which is fine.
al78
Walker

Postby gaffr » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:23 am

A couple of images to show the path beside Loch an Duin at the Sronphadruig Lodge end of the Trail as found during my visit through in June '19.
13 DSC02435.JPG
The path beside the Loch an Duin seen from the Northern end approach.
13 DSC02435.JPG
The path beside the Loch an Duin seen from the Northern end approach.
Attachments
13 DSC02436.JPG
Path from the Southern end.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby al78 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:07 am

Thanks, that looks rideable, although wobble too far one way and I'll end up very wet.
al78
Walker

Postby cosmokramer » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:25 pm

The Gaick is a doddle, Leathad an Taobhain I found hellish...the track out of Feshie becomes seriously steep once you turn SW and the 900m LaT summit is a pathless peat-hag moon landscape which eventually connects to a stalkers path down to the Bruar Water...plain sailing from this point onwards.
cosmokramer
Bird-watcher

Munros:36   

Postby jupe1407 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:12 am

We cycled the Gaick Pass then came back via Kingussie, Newtonmore and back down the A9 cycle path a couple of years back. The track in as far as the ruined lodge is completely fine, boggy and rutted for about a quarter of a mile after that. Decent singletrack along side Loch an Duin then reverts to a good landy track for a few miles past Gaick Lodge then if i remember correctly crosses a wee bridge or maybe a mini-dam and become a tarmac road all the way until it joins the road to Ruthven Barracks.

You won't end up in the Loch if you fall off beside Loch an Duin, simply on your arse in heather, hopefully without the chainring taking a gouge out of your leg :lol:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby al78 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:49 am

cosmokramer wrote:The Gaick is a doddle, Leathad an Taobhain I found hellish...the track out of Feshie becomes seriously steep once you turn SW and the 900m LaT summit is a pathless peat-hag moon landscape which eventually connects to a stalkers path down to the Bruar Water...plain sailing from this point onwards.

Thanks, I anticipate getting to LaT will be tough, there is no easy way to get to over 900 m altitude under your own steam. I assume the track that runs along the west side of the river past Glenfeshie lodge is rideable all the way, i.e. it doesn't have barriers across it that a pedestrian/cyclist can't get past..
al78
Walker

Postby prog99 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:47 am

No worries with that estate, it’s extremely walker friendly.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby cosmokramer » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:03 pm

Yep very easy riding along the Feshie, mostly tarmac too if I remember right...

al78 wrote:
cosmokramer wrote:The Gaick is a doddle, Leathad an Taobhain I found hellish...the track out of Feshie becomes seriously steep once you turn SW and the 900m LaT summit is a pathless peat-hag moon landscape which eventually connects to a stalkers path down to the Bruar Water...plain sailing from this point onwards.

Thanks, I anticipate getting to LaT will be tough, there is no easy way to get to over 900 m altitude under your own steam. I assume the track that runs along the west side of the river past Glenfeshie lodge is rideable all the way, i.e. it doesn't have barriers across it that a pedestrian/cyclist can't get past..
cosmokramer
Bird-watcher

Munros:36   

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion