walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Bull in a Field

Re: Bull in a Field

Postby maxie23 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:34 pm

I climbed Ben Lui in Aug 2018 from Dalrigh.
On the long walk in just before Cononish farm I passed a herd of cows.
They were in a field a fair distance from the track and just looked at me as I walked past.
There were a few calf's about as well as one large bull.
It was well into the evening when I came down of Ben Lui and it was dark by the time I got back to Cononish farm.
The herd had now moved onto the track and I tried to pick my way through them carefully using the light from my headtorch.
I kept worrying about the bull, which I never set eyes upon and the fact that there were a few calf's about.
I walked very slowly until I was clear of the herd.

ImageScary cows by robert irvine, on Flickr

ImageBig bull and girlfriend by robert irvine, on Flickr
maxie23

Munros:58   Corbetts:9
Grahams:2   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Bull in a Field

Postby Bonzo » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:17 pm

It was on the Pennine Way in 1986 that we came across a field with a sign that said 'The bull can run across this field in 20 seconds - can you?'. Obviously a humorous warning to inform walkers that there's a bull in the field but no what you want to read when you're carrying a huge rucsac.

I'm come across far more cattle in fields where paths exist over the last 10-15 years. Have others experienced the same pattern?
Bonzo
Mountain Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:96
Wainwrights:147   

Previous

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion