walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

TGO Challenge 2021

TGO Challenge 2021

Postby wildmountaintimes » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:00 pm

I've wanted to do this ever since first finding out about it but would always forget about it and annoyingly remember just after registration closes :lol: But I was on the ball this year and checking the website every few days for the registration form to go up and I've been accepted along with my partner :D

Our route is pretty much sorted as far as Braemar (subject to vetting!) and we have a rough idea from there to the east coast but just need to pour over the maps a bit more and fine tune this section.

Anyone else taking part next year?
wildmountaintimes
Mountain Walker

Munros:263   Corbetts:9
Sub 2000:1   

Re: TGO Challenge 2021

Postby Scottk » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:29 pm

I’m in again. Route is sorted and just need to submit it. Fingers crossed for good weather again.
I’m avoiding the honey pots this time- as suggested in the route notes- but it makes resupply a bit more difficult.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby wildmountaintimes » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:31 am

Scottk wrote:I’m in again. Route is sorted and just need to submit it. Fingers crossed for good weather again.
I’m avoiding the honey pots this time- as suggested in the route notes- but it makes resupply a bit more difficult.

This being our first time, we wanted to go through the social hubs to experience that side of it. We’re starting at Glenelg though which I understand is one of the quieter starting points and we’re doing a few hills days too which I don’t think many (if any) others will be doing so we’ll also get some solitude.

Where are you starting?
wildmountaintimes
Mountain Walker

Munros:263   Corbetts:9

Postby LobeyD » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:29 am

I've a deferred entry from last year. Will be a first go at for me. I had same issue of always forgetting to apply until I got my act together last year.

Starting from Morar, although a bit worried that the Dessary/Kingie area may be very busy as there were rumours of hoardes of folk starting from Knoydart. Not sure if it will be full next year though, a lot of folk will wait for 2022 I imagine. Personally like the idea of doing it in a minimal way.

Weather was decent in the two weeks it should have been this year, so expecting blizzards, gales, floods, locusts etc. when it goes ahead :?. We've obviously had enough pestilence already.....
LobeyD

Munros:254   Corbetts:94
Fionas:38   Donalds:27

Postby K Armstrong » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:48 pm

Does anyone know where the main photo on the TGO Challenge homepage was taken? The one for 'The Challenge In Pictures', with the guy in the red top? It doesn't seem to appear in the gallery.
K Armstrong

Munros:42   Corbetts:2
Islands:2

Postby LobeyD » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:58 pm

K Armstrong wrote:Does anyone know where the main photo on the TGO Challenge homepage was taken? The one for 'The Challenge In Pictures', with the guy in the red top? It doesn't seem to appear in the gallery.

Looking west towards Ben Alder on left and Lancet/Gael Charn on right from west of Culra, I believe.
LobeyD

Munros:254   Corbetts:94
Fionas:38   Donalds:27

Postby K Armstrong » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:12 pm

LobeyD wrote:
K Armstrong wrote:Does anyone know where the main photo on the TGO Challenge homepage was taken? The one for 'The Challenge In Pictures', with the guy in the red top? It doesn't seem to appear in the gallery.

Looking west towards Ben Alder on left and Lancet/Gael Charn on right from west of Culra, I believe.

Ahh, I see, thanks. Just one of those photos that gets me hankering for a trip...
K Armstrong

Munros:42   Corbetts:2
Islands:2

Postby Stevekerr188 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:03 pm

I'm in it this year. Did 2018 and 2019 and didn't think I would get in for this one as I hadn't applied for 2020. I'm also starting at Glenelg but I'm starting on the Sunday just to thin out the travelling numbers. I intend to take a route avoiding the Feshie/ Aviemore/ Braemar areas again just for the numbers.
Stevekerr188
Backpacker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:23   Donalds:89+52
Hewitts:138
Wainwrights:214   Islands:16

Postby Scottk » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:21 pm

Im starting at Lochailort, then Glenfinnan, Kinlochleven, dalwhinnie then east to Glen clova. I always try and start at a different point. The weather the last 3 years has been very good so fingers crossed for the same. Starting on Saturday-again to break up the numbers. I only have 2 nights at a campsite-Kinlochleven and the Burn (Tarfside alternative). Wild camping the rest of the time. Haven’t quite worked out my resupplies but probably Dalwhinnie and The Burn unless I stash something in Glen Clova.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby Stevekerr188 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:36 pm

Booked into accommodation at Spean Bridge,campsite at Blair Atholl and Brechin on the last night to get cleaned up. Resupply will be an issue as the normal areas such as Fort Augustus,Newtonmore, Aviemore and Braemar are not being used. Hopefully I can sorted at Blair Atholl
Stevekerr188
Backpacker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:23   Donalds:89+52
Hewitts:138
Wainwrights:214   Islands:16

Postby Klaasloopt » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:30 pm

I'm in too, and quite excited. I didn't think I'd stand a chance with deferrers and so many 'regulars'.

It's my first TGO but it is my twentieth long trek in Scotland since I first came to the Highlands in 1990 (in jeans, of course :lol: ).

My starting point is Oban, it's the only place I can reach within a day. My route is meandering as always, so I'm not worried about numbers since I'll be the last one arriving in towns like Kingussie or Braemar. I have the full 15 days, so it will be a big fat fun holiday for me.

I've sent in my route for vetting. I'm used to designing long routes, but writing it down was quite a pain!

I'm happily reading old TGO blogs and reports, looking for odd routes and quirky themes. Doodlecat.com is a good start for this.

cheers,
Klaas
Last edited by Klaasloopt on Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Klaasloopt
Hill Bagger

Munros:168   Corbetts:71
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:49
Islands:11

Postby Klaasloopt » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:33 pm

Stevekerr188 wrote:Booked into accommodation at Spean Bridge,campsite at Blair Atholl and Brechin on the last night to get cleaned up. Resupply will be an issue as the normal areas such as Fort Augustus,Newtonmore, Aviemore and Braemar are not being used. Hopefully I can sorted at Blair Atholl

My understanding of the TGO notes is that participants can walk through Braemar and other towns, and use the shops for resupply. They are requested not to stay overnight.
Klaasloopt
Hill Bagger

Munros:168   Corbetts:71
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:49
Islands:11

Postby AyrshireAlps » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:34 pm

Possibly a really stupid question, but is the event full?.

I was supposed to be doing a trek through Vietnamese Highlands in march that has been cancelled, looking for something else to focus on!.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby Marty_JG » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:41 pm

Enter The Great Outdoors Challenge
https://www.tgochallenge.co.uk/entryform/

We have some spare places for TGOC21. If you are interested in applying click the link above.

Seemingly, yes.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby AyrshireAlps » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:19 pm

Aye, seen that after Marty, dropped them an email!.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion