walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Hillwalker or hiker ?

Re: Hillwalker or hiker ?

Postby zatapathique » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:33 pm

Incidentally, I have just started reading Tom Weir's "autobiography of sorts" Weir's World when I stumbled upon this topic.

In the introduction, it says "...he was in the first generation of working-class outdoor men and began tramping the hills near the city...".

On page 13, he quotes a writing by his friend Matt Forrester, who says about a then famous wood fire at the north end of Cragiallion Loch: "At all seasons, it was a howff for walkers and climbers - we did not hike then."

I am not sure how to interpret this, but this topic came to my mind when I read these lines. As a non-native speaker, I do not have a full grasp of all the subtleties. I had not heard the word "to hike" for a walk until I went to NZ for the first time (that was in 2001). Before that, I only knew it in "to hitchhike".

I have to dig out my travel souvenirs from Canada (year 2000) if I have come across "to hike" there already...

Anyway, merry Christmas everybody! Stay safe and take care.
zatapathique
Mountain Walker

Munros:72   Corbetts:4
Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:26   

Previous

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion