walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Conic hill

Conic hill

Postby sherbet1967 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:31 pm

Hi.....has anyone been up Conic Hill in the past couple of days?,just wondering how icy it is!?
sherbet1967
Hill Bagger

Munros:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Conic hill

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:56 am

sherbet1967 wrote:Hi.....has anyone been up Conic Hill in the past couple of days?,just wondering how icy it is!?

I haven't been up Conic Hill in a while, but I should imagine it is either very icy indeed, that kind of sheet-ice which means if you're not wearing crampons and clutching an ice-axe, you will slither to a terrible death, or it will be a horrific morass of mud, which sticks to the boots like glue and spreads slowly up the body until the hiker is covered from head to foot and looks like a refugee from the Somme. Neither of which appeals. I was up near Killin recently and the ice level was just a few hundred feet above the village, with the road over the pass to Glen Lyon impassable for ordinary cars (unless you like exploring ditches). But in the past few days the nights have been very frosty so ice will have built up to quite a degree.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby AyrshireAlps » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:12 pm

Given we've got really icy paths at sea level, I'd pretty much guarantee Conic hill will be the same.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:17 am

And now we have snow covering the ground so you can't see where the ice patches are... :shock:
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Marty_JG » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:34 pm

The Kilpatrick Braes, not a million miles away and about the same height, was frozen snow and ice but had started to thaw. Mud and slush lower down, not as frozen hard as it has been.

Great fun with microspikes.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion