walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Just saying like

Just saying like

Postby Coop » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:25 pm

Sone things put a wee smile on your face and you think - respect to you all.
Theres also that inspirational factor - when you think you're done, and can't go on sometimes ( not forgetting safety first), and you think of others who have accomplished great feats before you.
I'll leave a wee piece in my memory banks for those who just conquered K2 in winter, and I'll maybe pluck it out sometime.
Kudos to them all :clap:
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:52+16
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Re: Just saying like

Postby Kinshusrst Kid » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:42 pm

People from the greatest mountaineering country on this planet achieve a magnificent conquest :clap: :clap: :clap:
Kinshusrst Kid

Postby maxie23 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:52 pm

Fantastic stuff.

"Today, Saturday 16 January 2021 at 16:58 local time, a team of 10 Nepalese mountaineers completed the highly coveted first winter ascent of K2, the second highest mountain in the world and the last 8000er to be climbed in the coldest season. News of the successful summit was provided by Chhang Dawa Sherpa from K2 Base Camp. The climbers who summited are: Nirmal Purja, Mingma David Sherpa, Mingma Tenzi Sherpa, Geljen Sherpa, Pem Chiri Sherpa, Dawa Temba Sherpa, Mingma G, Dawa Tenjin Sherpa, Kilu Pemba Sherpa and Sona Sherpa."

Ben Ledi in the winter will never seem the same again.
maxie23

Munros:67   Corbetts:16
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Sgurr » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:05 pm

I used to read about this sort of exploit when I had 'flu. Would be sitting in bed feeling vile . Reading Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage by Buhl, or something like that would make me think "Thank God, I'm here, not there." I know these feats are supposed to be inspirational, but lesser mortals like me are best off knowing when to stop being inspired, and just marvel.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion