walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Dogs and Hills

Dogs and Hills

Postby NickyRannoch » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:49 pm

Looking into getting a dog and wondering if anyone has any advice about good breeds, or breeds to steer clear of, when considering what would be a good mutt to be taking in the hills?

Not planning on taking in the Cuillin ridge but ability to do 8 hours on the hill and not pelt off after deer would be preferable.

My wife fancies a westie but I don't know how they would deal with a full day on potentially rocky ground.

I fancy a collie myself and have seen them used by MRTs.

Thanks in advance.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Re: Dogs and Hills

Postby Sunset tripper » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:50 pm

I'm not the best person to answer this but I think spaniels are the best, they seem to go for ever. Westies do have size in their favour, because easy to get over a gate or fence, and if it all goes wrong you could stick them in your rucksack. Chihuahuas would be even better for this, I saw a Chihuahua on the Ben Nevis path once and the drainage ditches and steps were major obstacles. Fair play though, it made it to the top. :D

Possibly assisted! :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Tringa » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:16 pm

Whatever dog you go for please consider one from a rescue centre. There are, unfortunately, hundreds of dogs in real need of a good home.

You are unlikely to get a pup, though if you have a pup it is going to be a good while before it can tackle a day's hill walk.

Good rescue centres will be very honest about a dog's needs, behaviour, abilities etc. The last thing they want is a dog returned to them.

A mediumish sized one is handy if you need to get it over stiles or gates it can't make its own way through. There are no guarantees about a dog's inclination to chase deer/livestock or animals - all dogs are different.

Dave
Tringa

Postby Marty_JG » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:46 pm

I bought Pixie a puppy as the rescue centre refused to let a dog go to a home without a dedicated garden. I did try.

A medium sized dog with working dog genetics will probably be the longest life before needing to retire from very long walks.

Many dogs will bolt after wildlife, proper training mitigates that to some degree but no guarantees. One assumes sheep dog genetics would be the easiest to train from this perspective, though they're all working dogs sheep dogs, hunting dogs, and terriers all have (on average) different temperaments though again individuals are individuals.

Spaniels have great temperaments, the poodle-crossing gives a longer coat but seems to brighten-up every strain of breed that gets a doodling, and you won't go wrong with a Border Collie - but these bright and active breeds really need suitable owners, be it experience or be it willing to get the experience quickly including training classes (they call them dog training classes, from what I can tell they're really training the owners).
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby nigheandonn » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:56 pm

johnkaysleftleg might be the person to ask about westies, Hughie seems to have done most of the Wainwrights at least!
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby KatTai » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:09 pm

Sorry, I can't advise on breed as I might be a bit biased... :lol:

22.JPG

On a serious note, have more of a think of your normal day to day life, time, commitments you have and first look for a dog that fits your general lifestyle and then look at which breeds in that are suited for longer-distance walking taking into consideration there are some breeds with show lines and working lines as well with working lines usually having much greater stamina than show lines because they are bred to work, but they can come with a higher work drive than show or pet-bred lines. I'm obviously biased towards collies and there are a lot of them that end up in rescue because people don't consider the breed traits such as nipping and herding, the latter which if not tackled early can lead to issues with chasing cars, birds etc however if you have the time and commitment they are great hill companions, Moss and Zena easily do over 8 hours (before Moss was diagnosed with spondylosis) as did Millie before her.

If you go the rescue route, which I would recommend, the people there should be able to advise if they have a dog that is suitable for your lifestyle, it might not be a breed you have thought or a cross/mongrel that has the energy for a more active lifestyle so do take time to go home and research the breed(s) before making a decision.

In general, a dog should be between 1-2 years old before they start being introduced to hills to ensure their joints have time to develop properly, this is partly dependent on the size with smaller breeds able to start sooner collies fall in the middle, and large breeds need the longest time to finish developing properly. Even if getting a rescue that is the right age, no matter their energy, unless they have came from another hiking home then they will need building up to longer distances and terrain gradually, how long this will take will depend on the condition of the dog Moss came to me as a stray and had no muscle mass whatsoever and very soft paw pads so it was 6 months before she did her first Munro, Zena on the other hand I got direct from a farm at 14 months as a failed sheepdog so she was able to start hiking much quicker as she was in good condition to start with.

There is no guarantee a dog won't bolt after deer, training can reduce the chances of this but there is always a risk so it is knowing your dog and where you a walking. Zena will chase deer so where there are likely to be deer she is on the lead, Moss and Millie before her though were very reliable. Recall training is important if you want your dog off lead, but this isn't always possible - if there are sheep, steep drops etc dogs are safest on a lead - so I use a walking belt with a bungee lead for hands-free walking which is great, and handy for an extra pull up steep bits!

This post is looking a bit long, so I'll leave it there for now :lol:
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:55   
Islands:32

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:07 pm

nigheandonn wrote:johnkaysleftleg might be the person to ask about westies, Hughie seems to have done most of the Wainwrights at least!

Hughie has done a full round of Wainwright's and about 150 of them a second time, he's also done several Munros. The only time he had to be carried for an extended period was Blaven via the South ridge. There's a section of very sharp boulders which he cut his front paws on this necessitating a trip down on my pack.
He's managed days up to 12miles and 1500m of ascent.
To be honest he was in better condition than me at the end of such days.
The only thing he struggles with is deep heather or really tussocky rough ground due to his little legs. As ever however you can just pick him up and on you go.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby nigheandonn » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:02 am

I apologise for doubting him :D
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby WalkWithWallace » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:12 am

Border Collie every time. 8) If you have the time to invest to give them the exercise and stimulation they need then they are amazing companions on and off the hill.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:195
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby calicoshmalico » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:21 pm

Whatever breed you decide upon I would recommend training your dog to recall to a whistle.
I have had working Springers and Labs for the last twenty years so whistle training is essential while in the field.
My Labs like to wander while out on the hills but respond immediately when called. It's a good skill to learn for you and the dog. Something else to think about is getting your dog acquainted with sheep so they don't see them as something to chase.
A well trained working dog doesn't look twice at a sheep, hare, deer as they sprint by, you've got to do a bit of graft though to get them to that stage.
Acme dog whistle 210,211
Good luck
calicoshmalico
Mountain Walker

Munros:128   Corbetts:18
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:4   Islands:6

Postby bootsandpaddles » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:54 pm

calicoshmalico wrote:Whatever breed you decide upon I would recommend training your dog to recall to a whistle.
I have had working Springers and Labs for the last twenty years so whistle training is essential while in the field.
My Labs like to wander while out on the hills but respond immediately when called. It's a good skill to learn for you and the dog. Something else to think about is getting your dog acquainted with sheep so they don't see them as something to chase.
A well trained working dog doesn't look twice at a sheep, hare, deer as they sprint by, you've got to do a bit of graft though to get them to that stage.
Acme dog whistle 210,211
Good luck

If only all dogs were so well trained!
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Postby St Pedro » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:22 pm

Earlier post by KatTai hits the spot.

get breed that best suits your families lifestyle and location, before hill consideration.

I was in similar dilemma 18 months ago

I have had a collie/spaniel cross and schnauzer previously as a youngster. My brother has a cocker spaniel who at 12 is still loving his hill trips, however this was to be our first family dog.
My wife had never owned a dog and had to be gently persuaded (years) by my son and I. 2019 easter holiday on Cumbria coast / Lake District with all dog friendly places helped in selling the benefits and acceptable life compromises. We had an agreement, the search was on...

As a keen hillwalker now onto corbetts and Grahams, who likes wild camping and also has a campervan for family adventures (3 of us). Dog needed to be smaller size for van life.

I was after a border terrier initially, stamina for hills as bred for running after horses all day. Wife and son not keen on the breed and as dog was going to be part of family i had to take their considerations into account. Son was 11 and dog was a balance between his buddy and Dads hill companion (son does join me on lesser hill outings).

My Son was keen on a Westie and initially i thought not a hill dog, then saw a Youtube video of a fellow Fifer who had taken up munro bagging with his westie to assist in combating depression. Did further research on breed and discovered background of rough tough terriers from west coast of Scotland (Argyll).

Used Scottish West Highland terrier club contacts to source reputable breeder and with no Scottish pups available that summer, was directed to try some N England contacts. Cody the Westie was brought home from Yorkshire (nr Bolton Abbey) in June 2019 at 14 weeks old.

Fantastic dog at home and on the hill, great temperament with people and other dogs, independent westitude spirit mean they are great characters. He loves the hills with me and in the last year he has already done numerous Corbetts, grahams, Marilyns and wild camping. His record so far is 8.5 hrs corbett/Graham doubler at Balquidder, my son and Cody have managed 7 hrs for cheviot circuit and also 6 hrs Taramachan ridge circuit. When he gets home Cody will often get his toys out and want you to play...The next day Cody is raring to go and i wonder where he gets it from as i'm still recovering.

The munro was a doddle with the quality paths, as mentioned the rougher off road Graham outings can necessitate some heather hopping but doesn't stop him. I use a 5m flexi retractable lead attached to my rucksack waist belt and still use my pacer poles. I now wonder how i considered any other breed, he is a perfect hill pal. He has enhanced our lifes enormously, my wife is amazed how much she has taken to a dog in our life, even though she is number 3 in Cody's pecking order. The current lockdown restrictions mean we are thankful Cody arrived into our home in 2019 as we've taken to exploring our local patch on mini adventures.

So another vote for Westies on the hills
Vive Le Westie
St Pedro
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:200
Fionas:73   Donalds:89+50
Sub 2000:24   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   Islands:36

Postby Avocetboy » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:41 pm

We've got a Jack Russell / Westie cross. She's done loads of big hills. Her main problem has been sore feet, but usually caused by running on sand etc. On occasion I have popped her in the back pack, most notably half way up Canisp and, again, coming off Conical as the ridges to BMA had made her pads sore.

4 years ago, we got a Miniature Dachshund. Did a bit of research that concluded they can walk all day, once they reach adulthood. She's done about a dozen Munros, been all over Quinag a couple of times. Her biggest challenge was Suilven, although I carried her most of the way up to and down from the bealach, as her legs are too small to scramble. Other than that, she seems to enjoy it!
Avocetboy
Mountain Walker

Munros:59   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:74   Islands:7

Postby Msp1987 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:14 pm

I can highly recommend Cocker Spaniels. Mine loves hillwalking, has worked big rounds over the 3 Loch Ossian munros and the 4 Grey Corries etc. However she is also happy chilling on the couch. Best of both worlds.
Attachments
20180825_135807.jpg
20190410_111910.jpg
Msp1987
Rambler

Munros:205   Corbetts:7
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Islands:11

Postby St Pedro » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:45 pm

Msp1987 wrote:I can highly recommend Cocker Spaniels. Mine loves hillwalking, has worked big rounds over the 3 Loch Ossian munros and the 4 Grey Corries etc. However she is also happy chilling on the couch. Best of both worlds.

Great couple of photos of a dog in its element and looks like you have the ruffwear front range harness as well?

Your cocker spaniel has similar colouring to my brothers 12 yr old - Hamish
He still loves the hills but we have reduced the mileage in the last year as no problem on the day but needs some recovery time now, he spends all the time running back and forward from leader to back marker throughout the day, and will surge ahead to the cairn and be waiting for us all to arrive...
St Pedro
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:200
Fionas:73   Donalds:89+50
Sub 2000:24   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   Islands:36

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion