walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Dogs and Hills

Re: Dogs and Hills

Postby Manwaeadug » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:51 pm

I have a Patterdale, he'd go all day long if you let him. The only terrier in the world that isn't a yappy wee so and so. lol
An amazing dog for long days outdoors, he's an absolute trooper and was made for the outdoors life. That's my recommendation.

Outdoorsy type dogs like Spaniels, Collies, certain terriers would be your best bet, or maybe a GSD? Or what about a pointer or Hungarian Viszla? All decent breeds for outdoors.
The key is to spend a lot of time on training. My dog is terrific with recall, by no means infallible but bloody good, I still wouldn't let him off the lead in a field if I didn't have a significant uninterrupted view though (pretty sure he'd be fine, but I'm not taking the chance).
One that is known to be a working breed/type is the way to go imo.
Manwaeadug
Walker

Munros:1   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   
Walk wish-list

Postby matt_outandabout » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:30 pm

I am not a dog owner.
I have worked at many outdoor centres who have dogs around, who head out onto the hills and lochs with groups.

My question would be - are you choosing the dog based on a Saturday walk rather than the other 6 days?
This comes though the last couple of centres had collies - ace dogs, but blimey they needed stimulation and exercise every day of the week and despised being asked to sleep under the desk for even an hour.... I decided to not be a dog owner after this, as there would be too many days where the animal would be left at home, or have to be in a car for hours, or just not be as active and stimulated as needed.,...
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:30

Postby jaffa61 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:59 am

Would recommend Cocker Spaniel. Apart from there fantastic happy nature (and constantly wagging tail ) , ours has been hillwalking since he was young and still going at 10 years old. Last summer he did a 9 hr round of 2 Cairngorm munros as well as 6 others over two months, He never seems to tire. Must of done most of the New Donald and tops by the time I completed them. He is also light enough to lift over fences etc. Seem to be keen on scrambling too which has me calling him to slow down !
IMG_3103.JPG

IMG_3103.JPG
Attachments
IMG_3164.JPG
jaffa61
Mountain Walker

Munros:202   Corbetts:36
Fionas:41   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:11   Islands:7

Postby andypandy1961 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:45 pm

Border terrier. They are bread for the outdoor life, wandering the hills all day and happy in front of the fire but still got to be out and about for an hour or 2 when not out in the hills.
Intelligent, friendly and faithful wee dogs.
A
andypandy1961
Mountaineer

Postby Backpacker » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:05 pm

andypandy1961 wrote:Border terrier. They are bread for the outdoor life, wandering the hills all day and happy in front of the fire but still got to be out and about for an hour or 2 when not out in the hills.
Intelligent, friendly and faithful wee dogs.
A

I concur

I think everyone will just recommend the dogs they have
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby Marty_JG » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:10 pm

Backpacker wrote:I think everyone will just recommend the dogs they have

I know what you're saying aye, but the point is on Walk Highlands the sorts of dogs that get recommended by posters here will likely be suitable for the task asked. There might be 10 different recommendations but they're based on experience too, not just random ownership.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby BAZ1893 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:32 am

As others have already said, the other 6 days of the week outside the hill activities are probably a more important factor to consider when choosing a dog.

I have seen all different breeds of dogs out on the hills and in all different weathers so as long as it's not going into too harsh conditions which most dogs couldn't cope with most breeds will get used to the hills. But there's no point in getting say a spaniel, which is brilliant for long days in the hills, if the rest of the week you don't have time to give it the exercise it needs.

I partly own (long story) a wee Yorkie who has done loads of hill walking with me, I don't take her on the more extreme walks but even at 10 years old she has done the Cairngorm 3, the 10 miles round Loch Muick and the 14 miles to the secret howff in recent times.

IMG_1088(1).jpg
BAZ1893
Walker

Munros:123   Corbetts:11
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby St Pedro » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:07 pm

Love that picture, if only dogs could talk...
St Pedro
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:200
Fionas:73   Donalds:89+49
Sub 2000:24   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   Islands:36

Postby Coutts94 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:30 pm

I hava cocker spaniel (Lexi) who loves nothing more than being out on the hills:

BB73D8DD-4EA5-406D-811D-D329243248A8.jpeg

Obviously you cant do long days when they are puppies, and need to introduce them gradually, but once they are up to speed then they will run circles around you :lol: I have a tracker on her and she has done over 80km in a day before.. crazy!

As others have said though, you need to think about the rest of the week. I have to be outdoors for about 1hr 30 a day, in any weather conditions..

Spaniels also have a natural tendency to chase birds etc, so you have to put in a bit of training to keep them focused on you. Collies are also excellent for the hills.

All the best for whatever you decide.
Coutts94
Mountain Walker

Munros:243   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   

Postby Moobli » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:19 pm

Welcome to the wonderful world of dog ownership. Have you owned dogs before?
KatTai definitely gives the advice I would also offer. It is important to choose a breed that fits in with your experience, activity levels and lifestyle, not just one for the weekend.
I have working line GSDs and hubby has border collies and working beardies . All are brilliant dogs and capable of long distances, covering varied terrain and are very trainable. Any dog with prey drive will chase deer, sheep, birds etc so training is the key word whatever breed or type you get, and keep a lead handy for times when you are walking through livestock.

dogsge.jpg

dogsge2.jpg
Moobli
Wanderer

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion