walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Walking the CWT at close to 60yrs - shorter daily walking

Walking the CWT at close to 60yrs - shorter daily walking

Postby Wildfrontiers » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:21 pm

Hello,
It would be great to hear your ideas on my plans.
I am a fairly experienced hiker from Germany and plan, once that Covid restrictions allow, to walk the Cape Wrath Trail.
Being close to 60yrs old my hike will look much different to the 20 miles per day walking stories around on the net. I did these kind of 30yrs ago. Today I know my limits, am able to navigate (map/compass/gps), wild-camp and walk "long" distances with a base weight of about 9 kg and carrying food for 5-7 days. Nevertheless in rough and boggy grounds (and with bones not getting better with age) I am planning to walk not more than 8-10 miles a day, resting 1 day for every 5-7 days on the trail. Luckily I am not in a hurry at all and can take off a longer time from work.... From a logistic perspective I will sent parcels to 3 accomodations along the walk. For preparation I am reading the Cicerone guide and trip reports here.
Maybe those of you who have experience on the CWT would be so kind as to share your thoughts on those plans? I can see no downside (apart from spending longer hours in the tent or bothys in case of rain/midges... meaning most days) when doing shorter 4-5 hour legs. Anything I should consider?
Thanks for your support!
Best regards
Ulrich
Wildfrontiers

Re: Walking the CWT at close to 60yrs - shorter daily walkin

Postby bydand_loon » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:31 am

Other than carrying a bit more food on a couple of sections I cant see any down sides, if the weather goes your way and there's no midgies then the extra time in camp won't be an issue either.

I think I was 17 days, base weight probably around 5 or 6kg, heaviest was the start as I packed food until kinlochewe while allowing for hotel meals/stay and a small garage shop, resupply in Invershiel

Presuming they are all open after the current shenanigans
Small garage shop at Invershiel
Great shop in Kinlochewe
Every shop in Ullapool, if you head in there
Good spar in Kinlochbervie
CW lighthouse has a great bunkhouse and good food
Also a few random hotels on the route that you can pencil in for a meal to reduce the load
bydand_loon
Hill Bagger

Postby ScotFinn65 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:25 pm

This great report from a previous walker may be of use. I know it inspired me.

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=89413
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Munros:119   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:3
Walk wish-list

Postby walkingpoles » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:12 pm

I don't see a big problem doing it in short sections. Make sure you know about the escape options, especially if you don't follow the main route. I found it helpful to know that I could be on a road in a days walk (in case the sleeping bag got soaked or I twisted an ankle or something). If you are only prepared to walk for 15km, it might not be possible to reach civilisation in a day. There are not many spots where you are that far away from any road but they exist.

Enjoy!
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Munros:218   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Postby Wildfrontiers » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:06 am

Thanks everyone, good hints, very much appreciated!

Brgds Ulrich
Wildfrontiers

Postby Arrandoug » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:45 pm

Wildfrontiers wrote:Thanks everyone, good hints, very much appreciated!

Brgds Ulrich

I walked the first part of the Trail in 2019 to Ullapool at the age of 59 and planned to complete it last year until the restrictions hit so I’m planning to finish it this year as soon as we are allowed to travel.
There is a Facebook group “Cape Wrath Trail Guide Group” and it’s worth joining that to get regular updates. I would also consider buying the “ bible” on the CWT “Cape Wrath Trail Guide” by Iain Harper, fantastic planning tool.
Arrandoug
Munro compleatist

Postby ODavies » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:09 pm

Hi
I did a solo CWT three years ago to celebrate my 70th birthday. I did poison myself being careless with water half way and went home, but returned to finish it a year later.
I did the whole trip in 14 days, using a tent but with two nights in bothies and one in a hotel. It included one day when the rain stopped any of us getting away from Sourlies valley. Otherwise I was lucky with the weather in May both years. And mostly few midges. But do take a midge hat.
One trick to avoid carrying too much food was to stop and refuel at absolutely every hotel and cafe.
Lovely walk. Take your time and enjoy.
Like you, I’m planning a post-covid trip. This year I’ll try Blair Atholl to Shiell Bridge, mostly along the National Trail, but with a few shortcuts.
ODavies
Mountain Walker

Postby SlimRidge » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:43 am

The first section, F.Wiliiam, Cona Glen, Glenfinnan, Knoydart, to Shiel Bridge is one of the longest sections without possibility to get supplies. And also one of the hardest as I recall, which doesn't help if you're just getting your legs into the walk. I didn't send any supplies ahead, I'm not that organised, so just carried more than I would need just in case.

Sounds like you're a bit more on the ball with planning. My resupply points were Shiel Bridge (limited shop, good pub), Kinlochewe (limited shop, petrol station there does great food!), Ullapool (everything), Kinlochbervie (good shop). You could work in a couple of others Im sure sending ahead to hotels (Achnashellach, Oykel Bridge, Inchnadamph), depending on which variations you follow.

I came to the CW having done a couple weeks on the trot already so legs were good. I'd advise loading your pack up and doing some decent walks in the weeks beforehand to get your strength and stamina up.

Good luck and hopefully we can all get out soon!
SlimRidge
Munro compleatist

Munros:44   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion