walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Will the paths survive Covid-19?

Will the paths survive Covid-19?

Postby Plavuizen » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:14 pm

Many of the paths in the highlands exist by the simple fact that they are used. With all the travel restrictions, I imagine that a lot of paths are also much less used than in “normal” years. Is there a risk that paths will disappear and get overgrown and become unrecognizable?

Does anyone here has experiences with this, photographs, or proof of the opposite?

Would love to come and see by myself, but have already cancelled two holidays in Scotland and don’t expect to come back soon as international travel is “challenging “...
Plavuizen
Walker

Munros:4   
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:2

Re: Will the paths survive Covid-19?

Postby KatTai » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:39 pm

The vegetation in upland areas grows very slowly, it takes years for them to cover bare ground which is why it is such a long process to repair scarred areas, so the well-used paths will still be there. Sheep and deer are also likely to be using the paths too in the absence of people on the hills. Restrictions were eased over the summer so when the vegetation was growing there was footfall, they aren't growing in winter so lockdown over winter isn't going to result in any paths ending up overgrown.
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby Alteknacker » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:09 am

Anyway, it's more fun walking "off piste"... :D
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:34 am

The brambles on my croft are going to be a jungle of living barbed wire, I'll need a flame-thrower to get rid of them. Which may explain the terrible moor fires on Skye recently - someone has been clearing brambles! Still, think of all the ticks which get incinerated in such fires. :D https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-56021899
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby WalkWithWallace » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:35 am

I wouldn't worry about it. It can take decades for eroded paths to regenerate, plus not much grows in winter. Some of the paths on popular hills are more like trenches than paths anyway.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:193
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby ChrisButch » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:58 am

In populated areas there may be (in some cases already is) the opposite effect. A consequence of the 'allowed out for exercise only' restrictions, coupled with the extra time homeworking office workers find they have now there's no commuting journey, is that many local footpaths have been more heavily used than ever before during the lockdown. There even seems to be weird psychological effect which translates 'permission to exercise' into 'compulsion to exercise': so that, counter-intuitively, an effect of the lockdown may actually be an improvement in the average state of fitness of the population, however temporary.
ChrisButch

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:23 pm

Paths?!

:shock:

You need to do more Corbetts and Grahams.

:lol:
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:21   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby jmarkb » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:50 pm

ChrisButch wrote:In populated areas there may be (in some cases already is) the opposite effect. A consequence of the 'allowed out for exercise only' restrictions, coupled with the extra time homeworking office workers find they have now there's no commuting journey, is that many local footpaths have been more heavily used than ever before during the lockdown.

Certainly true in the Pentlands - very marked widening and erosion of paths going on due to increased traffic. Wasn't too bad in Lockdown 1 when the ground was very dry, but since the autumn everything has turned into a mudbath (when not frozen).
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Plavuizen » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:54 pm

jmarkb wrote:Certainly true in the Pentlands - very marked widening and erosion of paths going on due to increased traffic. Wasn't too bad in Lockdown 1 when the ground was very dry, but since the autumn everything has turned into a mudbath (when not frozen).

Mudbaths seem to be very healthy!
Plavuizen
Walker

Munros:4   
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:2

Postby AyrshireAlps » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:26 pm

My nearest Corbett - Shalloch on minnoch - has a visible path for the first time I can remember. Not a bad thing in my book.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby Sgurr » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:21 pm

The local paths are getting muddier and muddier. As I only discovered some of them in March/April I don't know if they are always like this in winter, but ankle deep mud in places.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby davekeiller » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:56 pm

I'd be surprised if it made much difference.
Although the lockdown kept people off the hills in the spring, the restrictions were relaxed in the summer, and plenty of people were out from June to September.
I suspect that overall footfall from March to September wasn't much lower than normal on many hills.

Footfall will have been lower over the winter in many highland areas, but the vegetation isn't growing very much over winter, and it's generally buried by snow for extended periods anyway so total footfall makes less of a difference.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby SteveeMac » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:18 pm

ChrisButch wrote:In populated areas there may be (in some cases already is) the opposite effect. A consequence of the 'allowed out for exercise only' restrictions, coupled with the extra time homeworking office workers find they have now there's no commuting journey, is that many local footpaths have been more heavily used than ever before during the lockdown. There even seems to be weird psychological effect which translates 'permission to exercise' into 'compulsion to exercise': so that, counter-intuitively, an effect of the lockdown may actually be an improvement in the average state of fitness of the population, however temporary.

Was thinking same as you Chris but I guess it swings in roundabouts based on population of area and popularity of the walk
SteveeMac
Mountaineer

Munros:50   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:8   
Walk wish-list

Postby Booga » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:44 pm

ChrisButch wrote:In populated areas there may be (in some cases already is) the opposite effect. A consequence of the 'allowed out for exercise only' restrictions, coupled with the extra time homeworking office workers find they have now there's no commuting journey, is that many local footpaths have been more heavily used than ever before during the lockdown. There even seems to be weird psychological effect which translates 'permission to exercise' into 'compulsion to exercise': so that, counter-intuitively, an effect of the lockdown may actually be an improvement in the average state of fitness of the population, however temporary.

Agreed, some of the previously little used paths in my local area are definitely busier now with people staying local to exercise. I doubt many paths that have been used for decades will grow over beyond use during lockdown, compacted earth and erosion down to bedrock by years of footfall means that plant growth won't be as vigorous in those areas and will easily get trampled back to path status again.
Booga
Ambler

Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:5   Islands:12

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion