walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Is it worth taking a chance?

Is it worth taking a chance?


Postby al78 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:02 am

I have ambitions to walk from Glenfinnan, through Knoydart to Kinloch Hourn and Shiel Bridge. I was hoping to do it late May or late June this year and I plan to stay a day or two at the B&B in Kinloch Hourn. Is it worth taking a chance and booking accommodation and transport now or shall I leave it for another month when we'll likely have a better idea where we are with COVID and restrictions?
User avatar
al78
Walker
 
Posts: 828
Munros:28   Corbetts:8
Donalds:1
Joined: Feb 1, 2018

Re: Is it worth taking a chance?

Postby jmarkb » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:42 pm

What's the B&Bs cancellation policy?
jmarkb
Mountaineer
 
Posts: 4487
Munros:241   Corbetts:96
Grahams:79   Donalds:31
Sub 2000:45   
Joined: Oct 28, 2011
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Is it worth taking a chance?

Postby al78 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:59 pm

jmarkb wrote:What's the B&Bs cancellation policy?


I don't know, I didn't see that information on their website. I'll have to get in contact to find that out.
User avatar
al78
Walker
 
Posts: 828
Munros:28   Corbetts:8
Donalds:1
Joined: Feb 1, 2018

Re: Is it worth taking a chance?

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:07 pm

Most accommodation providers are offering free cancellation. Only book your travel and accommodation if you can cancel it nearer the date.

The vague message from the government yesterday was that nothing is going to be open for Easter. I would be quite surprised if you will be allowed to travel from England in May. Probably still not able to travel outside our local authority area in Scotland. :(
September would be a better option but if you have free cancellation there is nothing lost by booking for May.

All the best :thumbup:
User avatar
Sunset tripper
 
Posts: 2298
Joined: Nov 3, 2013
Location: Inverness

Re: Is it worth taking a chance?

Postby al78 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:37 pm

I have made an e-mail enquiry about the cancellation policy so hopefully will hear back this week. I am optimistic I will be able to go if I book toward the end of June, but if not, I will consider early September, when there is still plenty of daylight.
User avatar
al78
Walker
 
Posts: 828
Munros:28   Corbetts:8
Donalds:1
Joined: Feb 1, 2018

Re: Is it worth taking a chance?

Postby al78 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:16 pm

Just got a response, if I book and can't travel because of COVID, I will get a full refund. I'm inclined to chance it before it gets booked up.
User avatar
al78
Walker
 
Posts: 828
Munros:28   Corbetts:8
Donalds:1
Joined: Feb 1, 2018

Re: Is it worth taking a chance?

Postby denfinella » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:20 pm

al78 wrote:Just got a response, if I book and can't travel because of COVID, I will get a full refund. I'm inclined to chance it before it gets booked up.


Seems a no brainer to me :)
User avatar
denfinella
Wanderer
 
Posts: 1175
Munros:67   Corbetts:34
Grahams:26   Donalds:20
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:45
Joined: Mar 19, 2012
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Is it worth taking a chance?

Postby matt_outandabout » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:54 pm

I'd get in there and book asap, it's going to be the busiest summer ever in Scotland in my view.

I interpreted the hints from Scottish government yesterday as overnight stays are not going to happen at Easter, but that further travel and limited household mixing might be on the cards as we move from Easter into May..
matt_outandabout
Wanderer
 
Posts: 196
Munros:58   Corbetts:20
Grahams:21   Donalds:18
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:154
Wainwrights:143   Islands:12
Joined: Nov 3, 2013

Re: Is it worth taking a chance?

Postby al78 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:17 pm

Now booked, a couple of nights early June with evening meal included. All I need now is some suitable Munro bagging weather, unfortunately I can't book that :lol: , but I am telling myself I will mentally push myself to get up high even if the ridges and summits are in clag.
User avatar
al78
Walker
 
Posts: 828
Munros:28   Corbetts:8
Donalds:1
Joined: Feb 1, 2018

Re: Is it worth taking a chance?

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:17 pm

Hopefully get a clearer picture of the lockdown easing on Tuesday. There have been hints that allowing travel is not going to be a big priority early on.
It may go the same way as last time where travel is allowed to visit family but not for recreation.
With a bit of luck the studies that have shown mountaineering and other outdoor activities are negligible when spreading the virus will have been taken into consideration.

Definitely not a problem booking for June though if you have free cancellation.
All going well you won't need to cancel.
User avatar
Sunset tripper
 
Posts: 2298
Joined: Nov 3, 2013
Location: Inverness

Re: Is it worth taking a chance?

Postby 3peaker » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:06 pm

I booked the KinlochHourn B&B last May 2020 but sadly my plans to walk along the Cape Wrath Trail were cancelled due to Covid and they did not refund my deposit last year. They were happy to allow me to rebook in 2021 but that is not looking to good at the moment, maybe later this year!! Check the small print. Ps; Everyone else that I booked with along the CWT did refund my deposit`s last year including the YHA.
User avatar
3peaker
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Jun 1, 2017

Re: Is it worth taking a chance?

Postby Graeme D » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:15 pm

Yep, I wouldn't delay. I had been keeping tabs on a few self catering properties with a view to booking a week in July and booked up last night after I started to see a lot of things filling up over the last week or so.
User avatar
Graeme D
 
Posts: 3641
Munros:225   Corbetts:107
Grahams:65   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:27   Islands:6
Joined: Oct 17, 2008
Location: Perth

Re: Is it worth taking a chance?

Postby al78 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:06 am

Sunset tripper wrote:With a bit of luck the studies that have shown mountaineering and other outdoor activities are negligible when spreading the virus will have been taken into consideration.


Well if ramming the beaches full is not a spreader of COVID, I fail to see how anyone could object to me backpacking alone through one of the most unpopulated parts of Scotland.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/beach-super-spreader-myth-inform-070000945.html
User avatar
al78
Walker
 
Posts: 828
Munros:28   Corbetts:8
Donalds:1
Joined: Feb 1, 2018

Re: Is it worth taking a chance?

Postby matt_outandabout » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:04 pm

Interesting isn't it - no major spike after holidays and 'moving around' through the summer last year.
But the moment the weather closes down (and among many other factors) people start gathering indoors, or even have Christmas, we see huge spike.

As MalGrey points out, and what I plan this summer, you can walk a short distance and avoid most folk.
matt_outandabout
Wanderer
 
Posts: 196
Munros:58   Corbetts:20
Grahams:21   Donalds:18
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:154
Wainwrights:143   Islands:12
Joined: Nov 3, 2013

Re: Is it worth taking a chance?

Postby SteveeMac » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:14 pm

Also had to re book with Glen Clova Hotel they were the same and no bother changing dates due to covid.

Fingers crossed for May to walk that area 🙏
SteveeMac
Bird-watcher
 
Posts: 13
Munros:6   
Grahams:2   
Sub 2000:2   
Joined: Dec 27, 2020

Next



Walkhighlands community forum is advert free


Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?



Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: al78, SuzyStevenson4 and 23 guests