walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Music while you walk

Re: Music while you walk

Postby WalkWithWallace » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:05 am

I prefer to hear the surroundings of nature and the environment, so never listen to music on the hills. I have been known to fire up some music or a podcast once I've pitched the tent though. 8)
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby weedavie » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:06 am

I'm for silence too, but there's always the strike of the earworm. I loathe Pink Floyd and other manifestations of pomp-rock. But I'd one hellish day walking Beinn a'Ghlo in the snow when I walked to the ponderous beat of Dark Side of the Moon. I'd have welcomed anyone with a tranny to break the silence and set up an alternative rhythm.
weedavie
Mountain Walker

Postby Border Reiver » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:21 am

I have to say, that the sights and sounds of the outdoors combine to make the overall experience. To miss out on the birdsong, the animal noises, the trickling streams, the roaring torrents, the crunch of footsteps in the snow, the wind whistling through the rocks and the greetings of fellow walkers would be unthinkable. It would be like going to the cinema and putting headphones on to listen to my own music while watching a movie. The countryside sounds are among the things I've missed most during the lockdowns.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:25 pm

weedavie wrote:I loathe Pink Floyd and other manifestations of pomp-rock.

Ok, I'll bite... What is "pomp-rock"?
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby rodderss » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:36 pm

WalkWithWallace wrote:I prefer to hear the surroundings of nature and the environment, so never listen to music on the hills. I have been known to fire up some music or a podcast once I've pitched the tent though. 8)

Sure I saw you with full scale techno and disco lights at geldie in on of your videos :D :D
rodderss

Munros:47   Corbetts:15
Fionas:8   
Sub 2000:29   
Islands:2

Postby Glengavel » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:58 pm

LeithySuburbs wrote:

I think weedavie means Prog Rock, i.e. 'progressive' (in its day) rock - Yes, Pink Floyd, Genesis, ELP, etc. Pomp-rock is less easily defined but often includes bands like Boston, Toto, Foreigner, etc.

I am impressed by weedavie managing to have the entirety of Dark Side of the Moon as an earworm though!
Glengavel
Walker

Munros:29   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:29   Islands:19

Postby Marty_JG » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:04 pm

LeithySuburbs wrote:Ok, I'll bite... What is "pomp-rock"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomp_rock

Pomp rock emerged from progressive rock, it's less intricate and more suited to stadiums. Pink Floyd (Dark Side onwards), Queen, Dire Straits, Collins-fronted Genesis, Bon Jovi, Nickelback, INXS, Fleetwood Mac, Billy Idol, U2... basically any mixtape made by Jeremy Clarkson or Alan Partridge.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:09 pm

Glengavel wrote:
LeithySuburbs wrote:

I think weedavie means Prog Rock, i.e. 'progressive' (in its day) rock - Yes, Pink Floyd, Genesis, ELP, etc. Pomp-rock is less easily defined but often includes bands like Boston, Toto, Foreigner, etc.

I am impressed by weedavie managing to have the entirety of Dark Side of the Moon as an earworm though!

I know what prog-rock is (even if it is a term I don't like). I still don't understand the correlation between Pink Floyd and "pomp-rock". Nor do I understand how he can be so familiar with DSOTM if he loathes PF.
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:14 pm

Marty_JG wrote:
LeithySuburbs wrote:Ok, I'll bite... What is "pomp-rock"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomp_rock

Pomp rock emerged from progressive rock, it's less intricate and more suited to stadiums. Pink Floyd (Dark Side onwards), Queen, Dire Straits, Collins-fronted Genesis, Bon Jovi, Nickelback, INXS, Fleetwood Mac, Billy Idol, U2... basically any mixtape made by Jeremy Clarkson or Alan Partridge.

Yeah, Wish You Were Here and Slippery When Wet are basically the same thing :? .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Postby CharlesT » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:14 pm

I've heard of Prog rock but not Pomp rock. Is that Pomp short for Pomposity or Pomp meaning a vain and ostentatious display? :D
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby weedavie » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:35 pm

As pointed out I'm misusing the term. A definition is:-

A genre of rock music, especially prevalent in the late 1970s and early 1980s, typically characterized by prominent keyboards and drums and heavy use of guitar effects, often regarded as bombastic or grandiose in its delivery.

This is people like Kansas, Styx and Aerosmith. I think big hair was pretty important, too.

I thought it was the degeneration of Prog Rock, a bit self-important but rocking, like If, Family, early Yes, to a state of total self-infatuation and operatic excess, Pink Floyd, Genesis and the later Yes.

Anyway, whatever you call it, it's not a pleasant thing to haunt you on a seven hour walk.

Fortunately the album didn't haunt me, only the title track.

I wish I didn't know it. I don't care what age you are, the music of your young years, what you loved and what you hated is lodged inside of you, and your subconscious has no taste.
weedavie
Mountain Walker

Postby simon-b » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:03 pm

With all this mention of 1970s music on a Scottish website, let's not forget the Bay City Rollers :shock:
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:06 pm

CharlesT wrote:I've heard of Prog rock but not Pomp rock.

Yeah, it was not a term I was familiar with but, if it has a Wikipedia entry, it must be real :wink:. I'm just going to disagree that Pink Floyd fit the category (with, perhaps, the exception of A Momentary Lapse of Reason)
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:18 pm

To be radical and get back on topic...

I will often listen to audiobooks (and occasionally music) if I'm alone or on a walk I've done before (with headphones). I certainly wouldn't subject others to this, though. I had this misfortune last year of camping in Coire Uaigneich (Blaven) and having my ears assaulted by two groups of plebs listening to what I would call techno blaring out of some horrific sounding Bluetooth speakers :sick: .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Postby simon-b » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:36 pm

LeithySuburbs wrote:To be radical and get back on topic...

I will often listen to audiobooks (and occasionally music) if I'm alone or on a walk I've done before (with headphones). I certainly wouldn't subject others to this, though. I had this misfortune last year of camping in Coire Uaigneich (Blaven) and having my ears assaulted by two groups of plebs listening to what I would call techno blaring out of some horrific sounding Bluetooth speakers :sick: .

Playing loud music like that is antisocial and selfish. It certainly breaks the spirit of the noise nuisance law, but whether it technically fits any of the qualifying categories of that law is perhaps a grey area. It would be difficult to enforce anyway in a remote place, of course. Unfortunate that this happens.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion