walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Music while you walk

Re: Music while you walk

Postby CharlesT » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:53 pm

simon-b wrote:
LeithySuburbs wrote:To be radical and get back on topic...

I will often listen to audiobooks (and occasionally music) if I'm alone or on a walk I've done before (with headphones). I certainly wouldn't subject others to this, though. I had this misfortune last year of camping in Coire Uaigneich (Blaven) and having my ears assaulted by two groups of plebs listening to what I would call techno blaring out of some horrific sounding Bluetooth speakers :sick: .

Playing loud music like that is antisocial and selfish. It certainly breaks the spirit of the noise nuisance law, but whether it technically fits any of the qualifying categories of that law is perhaps a grey area. It would be difficult to enforce anyway in a remote place, of course. Unfortunate that this happens.

A well aimed boot might do the trick, or failing that an artillery round. :D And whoever invented bluetooth speakers merits the same. :shock:
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Glengavel » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:29 pm

simon-b wrote:With all this mention of 1970s music on a Scottish website, let's not forget the Bay City Rollers :shock:

I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement.
Glengavel
Walker

Munros:29   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:29   Islands:19

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:41 pm

Glengavel wrote:
simon-b wrote:With all this mention of 1970s music on a Scottish website, let's not forget the Bay City Rollers :shock:

I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby Marty_JG » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:55 pm

LeithySuburbs wrote:Yeah, Wish You Were Here and Slippery When Wet are basically the same thing :?

You get variance within any genre, be it a musical genre, film genre, game genre. Indeed one would hope for it. Public Enemy and Vanilla Ice are both in rap genre, BUT...
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby simon-b » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:15 pm

Marty_JG wrote:
LeithySuburbs wrote:Yeah, Wish You Were Here and Slippery When Wet are basically the same thing :?

You get variance within any genre, be it a musical genre, film genre, game genre. Indeed one would hope for it. Public Enemy and Vanilla Ice are both in rap genre, BUT...

...BUT Public Enemy never collaborated with Jedward
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby JonetCol » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:59 pm

I'd also rather not listen to media for fear of missing a natural sound, like a buzzard call. To take my mind off the drudgery of the home stretch on a track or road, I imagine marching music like 'Green Hills of Tyrol' or British Grenadiers. Takes my mind off my sore knees.
JonetCol
Munro compleatist

Munros:112   Corbetts:1

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:44 pm

Marty_JG wrote:

Well, if you are determined to put simplistic labels on things, I would agree that Pink Floyd and Bon Jovi probably belong to the "rock" genre which seems a more appropriate comparison to "rap" than "pomp-rock" (I don't know any rap sub-genres but I'm sure someone with greater knowledge than me would be able to separately categorize Vanilla Ice and Public Enemy). "Pomp-rock" is a far more subjective sub category.
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:41 pm

Jaxter playing Elgar's cello concerto live .... :D
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby CharlesT » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:58 am

Alteknacker wrote:Jaxter playing Elgar's cello concerto live .... :D

cello-mountain-bach-ruth-boden-1456135453-list-handheld-0.png
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Marty_JG » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:14 am

LeithySuburbs wrote:Well, if you are determined to put simplistic labels on things...

You asked for an explanation. All I did was provide it - I cannot claim creation of it and should not be credited with it.

If you dislike the term fair enough, go to a Pomp Rock Facebook page (they exist) and tell them all about it, as much detail as you like.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby LeithySuburbs » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:56 am

Marty_JG wrote:You asked for an explanation. All I did was provide it - I cannot claim creation of it and should not be credited with it.

If you dislike the term fair enough, go to a Pomp Rock Facebook page (they exist) and tell them all about it, as much detail as you like.

The explanation was fine, thanks. The examples you gave in the same post were your opinion, which I disagreed with (as I've already said). One thing I can guarantee is that I will not be visiting any social media pages about it :lol: .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby WalkWithWallace » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:55 am

rodderss wrote:Sure I saw you with full scale techno and disco lights at geldie in on of your videos :D :D

:lol: Haha, that's true. But only afterwards. :wink:
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby rohan » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:00 am

Like many others, I prefer the sound of the natural world when I am walking but I do sing (perfectly of course) in my head as I walk. This helps me over tough terrain, at the end of the day when I am tiring and avoids me talking to myself.
rohan

Postby Border Reiver » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:37 am

Alteknacker wrote:Jaxter playing Elgar's cello concerto live .... :D

Three years ago, as we reached the summit of Ingleborough we came across a string quartet playing. They were climbing the Yorkshire Three Peaks in one day and were playing at the summit of each one. A lovely surprise.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby weedavie » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:10 am

In the early 70s there was an hour of Peel a week on BBC and an album cost half a day's wage. So in a student flat there was only so much music and you heard all your mates' stuff you didn't like - Dark Side of the Moon or Second Hand's Death may be your Santa Claus. All that stuck in your head, leading to earworms on a hill half a century later. Meanwhile I was inflicting Rory Gallagher and the Incredible String Band on them, so we'd all something to complain about.

Hill access was similarly limited. I'd a good knowledge of the Luss hills, I'd hitched to Glencoe but I'd never been over the Great Glen or the A9. I knew what a Munro was, but it was as an answer to a quiz question, rather than a way of choosing hills. It was a different world and death by hypothermia was common - in Glasgow student flats.
weedavie
Mountain Walker

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion