walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Long distance walks under new lockdown guidelines

Re: Long distance walks under new lockdown guidelines

Postby NickyRannoch » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:50 pm

Bremy51 wrote:Hello thought I would add my question on to this since its similar. I'm from Wick in the North Highlands and I want to climb the 7 Ben Lawers Munros in a day by myself for charity. Its a 4 hour drive but still in the Highlands so it's still my Local Authority area so should be ok. Is this still allowed or not. From what I can see it should be ok but just don't want to be reported for breaking lockdown and want to be sure before I make my fundraiser public. Thanks

Ben Lawers isn't in the Highlands
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby simon-b » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:32 pm

NickyRannoch wrote:
Bremy51 wrote:Hello thought I would add my question on to this since its similar. I'm from Wick in the North Highlands and I want to climb the 7 Ben Lawers Munros in a day by myself for charity. Its a 4 hour drive but still in the Highlands so it's still my Local Authority area so should be ok. Is this still allowed or not. From what I can see it should be ok but just don't want to be reported for breaking lockdown and want to be sure before I make my fundraiser public. Thanks

I guess Nicky means it's in the Perth and Kinross Highlands as opposed to the Highland authority Highlands. Therefore correct that it's in a different local authority area.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Sunset tripper » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:46 pm

NickyRannoch wrote:

Ben Lawers is in the Highlands but not in the Highland local authority area.

Unfortunately at present it would be illegal for you to climb Ben Lawers.
Sunset tripper

Postby prog99 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:00 pm

Apart from what everyone else has said you'd also be driving past numerous comparable rounds that'd be both in the limits of the law, quieter and also arguably a better day out.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby jupe1407 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:26 am

prog99 wrote:

Apart from what everyone else has said you'd also be driving past numerous comparable rounds that'd be both in the limits of the law, quieter and also arguably a better day out.

This. The Lawers 7 on your own is awkward and not all that exciting and either involves a long road walk, a stashed bike, or following Dan Bailey's route in "Great Mountain Days in Scotland". Not sure i would drive 4 hours for that at the best of times :lol:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:20 pm

jupe1407 wrote:
The Lawers 7 on your own is awkward and not all that exciting and either involves a long road walk, a stashed bike, or following Dan Bailey's route in "Great Mountain Days in Scotland". Not sure i would drive 4 hours for that at the best of times :lol:

You are forgetting one thing. The avid bagger will drive past countless spectacular mountains in pursuit of their goal.

Lawers is a fine hill but generally I only visit that area if its the only place with a decent forecast.

I've been there quite a few times :D
Sunset tripper

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion