walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

The Old Forge Community Ownership

The Old Forge Community Ownership

Postby rohan » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:04 am

This can only be good news after a number of years of unreliable welcome and opening hours at what used to be a great watering hole. I, for one will be getting behind them.

https://www.theoldforgecbs.org/
rohan

Re: The Old Forge Community Ownership

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:25 am

rohan wrote:This can only be good news after a number of years of unreliable welcome and opening hours at what used to be a great watering hole. I, for one will be getting behind them.

https://www.theoldforgecbs.org/

Got to be a good thing. The pub should be the heart of the whole community, as it once was.

The schism in the community because of the way the pub has been in recent years was very sad to see.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Sgurr » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:02 am

I only knew the Old Forge under previous management and was very sad to hear how things had become.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby al78 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:31 pm

I know nothing about the history of the pub, what had gone wrong with it?
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Giant Stoneater » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:18 pm

al78 wrote:I know nothing about the history of the pub, what had gone wrong with it?

Good luck on a community buy out.
Belgian who worked in top class hotels all over the world took it over and changed the character of the pub, upmarket food etc, plus it opened/closed whenever it suited him, threw people out when he took a dislike to folk.
Once the only meat meal on menu was venison stew at a eye watering price everything else was seafood at a price. Think he forgot where a lot of his custom was coming from.
Had visited a few times for a pint,he was a hard owner to chat to but no one else in the pub,all the locals drunk at the place below.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/highlands/1746983/remotest-pub-in-scotland-now-has-a-rival-as-local-hostilities-erupt/
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby WalkWithWallace » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:08 pm

The Belgian chap was really friendly to us, but that was right at the beginning and it's a shame it didn't work out. I'm sure he purchased it for around the £500K mark?

They're going to do a share offer, sounds interesting. 8)
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:195
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:31 pm

WalkWithWallace wrote:The Belgian chap was really friendly to us, but that was right at the beginning and it's a shame it didn't work out. I'm sure he purchased it for around the £500K mark?

They're going to do a share offer, sounds interesting. 8)

JP ran hot or cold. On a two night visit, he was the perfect host first night, even bought a group of us a late round of whiskies (we'd spent a fortune and included him on the last few rounds), and it was a memorable evening.
Second night, he was an absolute argumentative nightmare the second night from the moment we walked in the door at the ridiculously early 6pm he'd insisted was the only time he could fit us in for dinner. That didn't go well from the moment we sat down, told us we had to order immediately or he'd have to give the table to somebody else (we were the only people in the pub), the food was rushed and expensive, he accused us of underpaying (we'd actually rounded it up to include a big tip for the poor waitress), and we ended up leaving with a bad taste in our mouths and unhappy it hadn't been resolved. Next morning he came down to wave us off happy as anything, our best friend again, wishing us all the best. Genuinely odd.

A proper community hub would be perfect for the Old Forge. I don't think anybody really minded the fact it was expensive, its understandable in the middle of nowhere when every thing has to be shipped in. It wasn't the right menu, but it was more about the way it was done and the arrogance at times, only wanting a certain (wealthy) customer, rather than what was on offer. Good food, not too "poncy" but using local ingredients and so on could be excellent.
Beer was always good.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby WalkWithWallace » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:34 pm

That's bonkers Mal, total Jekyll & Hyde character. Let's hope the locals can purchase it.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:195
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby allanglens » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:06 pm

Interesting. I see it's listed as 'offers over £425,000' for the bricks and mortar, with the business, goodwill and inventory available ' by negotiation'. So it's possible it could end up as a private house.

https://bairdlumsden.co.uk/property/?propertyid=10674506
allanglens
Rambler

Munros:8   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:11

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:31 pm

:shock: Wow...the Belgian dude does sound a bit of a whacko. I'm glad I've never had to endure that experience at his hands. One thing I cannot stand is poor customer service or purveyors of any kind of service thinking THEY'RE doing YOU a favour by letting you spend your money at their establishment! I really don't respond well to that.

Good luck to the community buy out effort. I hope it all works out ok for them. :clap:

As a positive counter point, I can heartily recommend an overnight stay at the Crask Inn. Ideally located for a wee jaunt up Ben Klibreck. It's the exact opposite of the treatment doled out by the Belgian nutjob. And....AND....the owner even asks his guests if they're comfortable for him to say a wee Grace ahead of the evening meal. :D
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   
Fionas:1   

Postby nigheandonn » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:21 am

Doesn't the building belong to the Church of Scotland, or something? So it's not just personal idiosyncracy!

I hoped to get up to the far north this year, but...
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby ChrisButch » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:27 am

As far as I can see, the possible bid is being promoted independently of the Knoydart Foundation which already has community ownership of the estate, bunkhouse etc. Which suggests there may be murky local politics involved. But when is there not with things like this?
ChrisButch

Postby rohan » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:11 am

ChrisButch wrote:As far as I can see, the possible bid is being promoted independently of the Knoydart Foundation which already has community ownership of the estate, bunkhouse etc. Which suggests there may be murky local politics involved. But when is there not with things like this?

Knoydart is a small community where there can be disagreements and tensions between opposing interests as is normal in any such community BUT knowing many people who live there, I have never seen them more united in their horror as to what they saw unfold with J.P.s ownership of the pub. Since the community buyout in 1999 of what had been a badly run estate by various absentee landowners, the community has grown in strength. They have always prided themselves on the welcome that they gave visitors who brought with them much needed income to support local businesses. This changed with J.P. and the way he ran the pub. There is nothing "murky" about the buyout and it will mean the pub works for all the community , not just the foundation, with a committment to make the pub the place of welcome to all as it used to be.
rohan

Postby ChrisButch » Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:02 pm

That's good to know. For a number of years I've been a 'Friend' of the Knoydart Foundation, but at a distance I can't follow local developments in detail.
ChrisButch

Postby AM1953 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:37 pm

I've only been to the old forge when it was a great wee place well before the Belgian owner and I'd certainly support some sort of crowd funding to help with a community buyout.
AM1953

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:25   Donalds:70+44
Islands:35

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion