walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Clyde Coastal Path

Clyde Coastal Path

Postby banni52 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:18 pm

I am new to this site/forum so forgive me if this is in the wrong place.
I have walked from Braehead to Inchinnan along the Clyde Coastal Path.
Has anybody walked from the car park at the end of Glasgow Airport runway on the path towards Erskine?
I propose to walk this section of the path but I am unclear where to go.
There is a booklet on the path but with lockdown I can’t buy it.
Thanks in advance
banni52
Walker

Re: Clyde Coastal Path

Postby MrsOrr » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:10 pm

I assume it is the car park on Greenock Road near to the Black Cart Water? I also assume that to get there you walked from the Clyde up the Cart then White Cart and over the red bascule bridge? The signposts for the Clyde Walkway in Renfrew actually direct people across the road at the bascule bridge and not over the bridge itself. You then walk along a sometimes very muddy path and onto Porterfield Road in Renfrew, from there the signs direct you along the main road towards Paisley, where it goes from there I don't know, sorry.

It is possible, I believe to walk from that car park around to Erskine but I'm not sure of the complete way. I have walked many times as far as Newshot Island. There is a road that leads off the car park up through the farms, although, I believe, the farmer currently has "No Entry" signs up (Trying to deter Covid exercisers from his land). This road leads to the Erskine sewage works and just before this there is a track/road off to the left and this, I believe takes you into Erskine.

Hope this information helps.
MrsOrr
Bird-watcher

Postby MrsOrr » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:34 pm

I should add that a lot of the land between Renfrew and West Ferry is designated for nature, as in SSSI or RSPB land to protect wildlife, particularly wading birds. So care should be taken, if walking there, not to disturb wildlife.
MrsOrr
Bird-watcher

Postby banni52 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:48 pm

Thank you for that info. I got confused when at the bridge the signpost points in three different directions!
banni52
Walker

Postby jmarkb » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:40 pm

jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby banni52 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:24 pm

Thank You. Will try with both replies combined when we are allowed.
banni52
Walker

Postby mmm_biscuit » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:51 pm

Hi banni - I've done this leg of the Clyde Coastal Path a few times - usually cycling (it's a nice loop with the Erskine Bridge at one end, and either the Renfrew ferry or Millenium Bridge at the other).

There is an official website for the Clyde Coastal Path, but sadly the route pages seem to have stopped working: http://www.focrt.org/ccp/

From memory the official route takes you straight along the road into Inchinnan. To continue to Erskine Bridge, you take a right turn onto Park Road, continue on to a footpath, then on to Newshot Drive. Follow this until you reach the paths at Newshot Island. I can't remember the official route from there, but I think it heads inland too early for my liking anyway - much nicer to keep to the coast and explore the beach at Boden Boo.

MrsOrr wrote:It is possible, I believe to walk from that car park around to Erskine ... This road leads to the Erskine sewage works and just before this there is a track/road off to the left and this, I believe takes you into Erskine.

I've never tried MrsOrr's route - but if it's doable it would definitely be nicer on foot than the main road.

Anyway - attached GPX is the route as we tend to do it. Obviously, you can stick to the path under the Erskine Bridge if you want to continue West past Mar Hall. Hope that helps!

route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

mmm_biscuit
Mountain Walker

Munros:275   Corbetts:8
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:6   

Postby MrsOrr » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:50 pm

Thanks for that info mmm_biscuit, I'm treating myself to an electric bike soon, this will be one of my first outings I think. Lived in the area for a few years but don't know the bit between Cart and Erskine bridge too well.
MrsOrr
Bird-watcher

Postby banni52 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:32 pm

Thank you everybody.
banni52
Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion